Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NHL 17 Are you getting It?
(2016-09-18, 08:06 PM)shawn81 Wrote: Really you wasted your time coming here just to say you don't care? Its like you creating a CFL thread and me coming in there just to say I don't care about the CFL I like the NFL.what's the point?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

To be fair, we do that to cfl's threads all the time, lol.   

Like the cable thread he just started, wft is that all about?
Thanks given by:
Lol I don't get it in staying out of this

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
You bit Shawn...

Nah.  I actually think it's really cool.  I can't afford to buy a PS4 but I'd have it if I could.

I haven't played my Xbox in like 9 months??
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
I am actually considering picking up NHL 17 tomorrow. I missed '16, and '15 was a joke, so I feel like I have not had a good NHL video game experience for a few years, this might be a good year to get back into it.

Though I was watching a review, and the guy was saying you can't stick check?  Not sure if it is a glitch in his game, but I like to stick check, is this true?  Something they will fix with an update?
Thanks given by:
You guys are making me want to buy it too, even though I don't have too much time to play I can probably still squeeze a game in every night.
Thanks given by:
Yes, you can stick check.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
As a video-game Brad Marchand, I miss the (L1+Triangle) = Slash combo that was around for a few years.

It doesn't seem to do it anymore, and I don't remember being able to do it in NHL16 either.

...and no matter how much I have played vs the computer, I still find it funny to (while controlling a good pugilist) clap it eye-high at the goalie after an offside call, and then pummel the shit out of the unfortunate CPU player who comes to challenge me. It's an absolute bush league, Slap Shot movie move...but for some reason, the blatant douchebaggery of it all makes me laugh.

Some more game observations:

There seems to be a lot more loose-puck dynamics to this game...it's a lot less predictable..pucks take weird bounces, guys don't control passes as easily, and it makes for a little more random, a little more broken (and much more realistic) gameplay than any year before. The physics of the game are getting much more realistic, as are the penalty calls. If you don't coast into a hit, you're getting an elbowing or charging penalty more often than not.

The CPU AI for net-front coverage is getting really good. The high-slot one-timer used to be a pretty reliable goal, even with the AI cranked up. Now, with tie-ups in front, it's much MUCH harder to execute.

The on-ice trainer thing is helpful at first until you get familiar with the controls/strategies, but from a graphics/gameplay standpoint, I turned it all off. Looks much cleaner, and if you're familiar with the franchise, it's a pretty quick learning curve to grasp the subtle changes.

Still getting into the game, but it stacks up well with the best versions of NHL, IMO.
Thanks given by:
Update...have played 3 random ranked matches.

Never really played online before...the amount of constant poke-checking is a little absurd. I guess I missed the memo. I've always tried to play the game as a bit of a hockey simulation...it seems like the people I've played online are employing much more of a button mashing, and trying to find glitch goals approach. Gotta say, I didn't really enjoy it. The players controlled by the opposing person were just in a constant and spastic state of poke checking, and on offense, they seemed to always try to do exactly the same thing, and shoot from the same place.

Full disclosure, I lost all three games, one-goal games each time....but it wasn't really the losing, more the style of play that I found really annoying. A bit like playing a boss in a video game who does the same moves over and over and over again, and you basically just have to play until you figure out the pattern and beat them....what I like most about the NHL games is that it was so random. Can't see myself playing a lot online if this is the world I've been "missing".
Thanks given by:
(2016-09-13, 07:03 PM)BlueMountain Wrote: Buy the disc, save your HD.

FYI, It takes up the same either way. Even if you buy the disc it still installs the whole game on your HDD. A 30 GB game will take up 30 GB on your HDD regardless of if you download it or buy the physical copy.

At least on PS4, anyway. I assume Xbox functions largely the same way though.
Thanks given by:
(2016-09-26, 04:24 PM)Andrew Wrote:

FYI, It takes up the same either way. Even if you buy the disc it still installs the whole game on your HDD. A 30 GB game will take up 30 GB on your HDD regardless of if you download it or buy the physical copy.

I didn't know that actually.

However, I can remove it from my hard drive and still have the game...

Thanks given by:
(2016-09-26, 03:08 PM)Bo Dangles Wrote: Update...have played 3 random ranked matches.

Never really played online before...the amount of constant poke-checking is a little absurd. I guess I missed the memo. I've always tried to play the game as a bit of a hockey simulation...it seems like the people I've played online are employing much more of a button mashing, and trying to find glitch goals approach. Gotta say, I didn't really enjoy it. The players controlled by the opposing person were just in a constant and spastic state of poke checking, and on offense, they seemed to always try to do exactly the same thing, and shoot from the same place.

Full disclosure, I lost all three games, one-goal games each time....but it wasn't really the losing, more the style of play that I found really annoying. A bit like playing a boss in a video game who does the same moves over and over and over again, and you basically just have to play until you figure out the pattern and beat them....what I like most about the NHL games is that it was so random. Can't see myself playing a lot online if this is the world I've been "missing".
I tried 2016 online. I played one game and it was a really hard-fought, 4-3 win.

But, the other player had invoked some kind of cheat where his players were sending my guys flying half way across the ice with every hit. It was brutal and really quite obvious that something was up.

I was ***** determined to win... surprised that I did.

The dude was probably 7.

Thanks given by:
(2016-09-26, 04:29 PM)BlueMountain Wrote:
(2016-09-26, 04:24 PM)Andrew Wrote:

I didn't know that actually.

However, I can remove it from my hard drive and still have the game...

You can do that with digital versions too. You can delete them from your HDD as many times as you like and re-download them as many times as you like. You dont have to re-buy it if you delete it.

Honestly there really is no reason to buy physical copies any more. Other than maybe making a few bucks (if that) by trading it in later or having a shitty internet connection lol.
Thanks given by:
I donate my games to kids every Christmas.

Can you donate download codes too? Once they've been used on one console?

I buy discs because I like touching things.

I also have more time than most people that I know...

Thanks given by:
(2016-09-26, 04:44 PM)BlueMountain Wrote: Can you donate download codes too?  Once they've been used on one console?

Once they have been used? No. That would obviously create a pretty big loophole for buying games, lol. You can send unused codes to people though IIRC.

There have been rumours for years about a feature that allows you to "gift" a game to someone but it has never materialized.
Thanks given by:
Update the ***** rosters already EA.

The lack of a competitor is just brutal.

Zero accountability, zero pressure.

Thanks given by:
(2016-09-18, 08:25 PM)Fritz Wrote: I am actually considering picking up NHL 17 tomorrow.  I missed '16, and '15 was a joke, so I feel like I have not had a good NHL video game experience for a few years, this might be a good year to get back into it.

Uh, oh...I just bought a PS4 and picked up '15 for 10 bucks.  I figure the years usually blend and up to date rosters doesn't matter to me.  I just like to play hockey with friends or online.
“Okay, I put just a little meth in there to get them addicted and keep customers coming back. ..so let me make something else clear: I pissed in every bottle.”
Thanks given by:
Geez, I can't get into this game at all.
Is it me, or is there something fundamentally wrong with the game play this year?

I've tried tweaking the sliders all over the place....

Maybe I'm just done with the franchise...

Thanks given by:
I hear ya Blue...haven't touched it in months.

I really like the Be-A-GM/Franchise mode, contracts/drafting/trades...but that just essentially amounts to hours spent simulating, and not playing the actual game.

I am not sure if it's a gameplay issue or what, but I just can't get into it like I used to. I think the lack of development/innovation from a gameplay standpoint makes it feel a bit stagnant. I end up paying 70 bucks every year for a roster update.
Thanks given by:
It seems harder to score and also much harder to get past defenders (I only play online). I'm still winning a lot like I usually do in NHL games but it's no longer me blowing out people, just 3-1 type of wins.
Thanks given by: