Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Obama farewell speech
I'm definitely sad to see Obama go. Now in my 30's with a few young children and a very busy career, I don't have much time for people I look up to or role models but I can say Barack Obama is someone I look up to.

Not just a great president but a great man, never corrupted by the power of his office and didn't neglect his job as a father and husband despite the weight of the presidency.
I’ll be polite... right up until I’m rude
- Ash Williams (2015)
Thanks given by: northern1
(2017-01-11, 08:08 PM)miltonred Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 10:11 AM)Stevie_Y Wrote: He's a great orator. That's about it.
Would you deny he achieved the following things
- saved the US car industry and over a million jobs, without costing the US taxpayer a dime
- made it possible for 20 million American men, women and children to get health insurance coverage
- prevented over 3 million American homeowners from going into foreclosure
- turned around a plummeting economy on the brink of a great depression bringing unemployment rates from over 10% to below 5%
- closed all privately run Federal prisons
- prevented Iran from gaining a nuclear weapons capability without firing a shot or putting one soldier in harms way (WMD Iraq anyone?)
- found and killed Osama Bin Laden

Here as some links to articles reviewing the presidency, perhaps you might do better than the four words you mustered.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc...sk/505856/
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38525529
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/15/grading-t...mbers.html
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/...presidency

Of course I wouldn't deny it. Every president does good things, and does bad things. I could give you the same list of the bad things he's done and it's subjective whether or not he was a good president, based on how those things affect people. I have a negative view of Obama, and no good deeds he has done will sway that view.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 02:55 AM)Bure Wrote: I'm definitely sad to see Obama go. Now in my 30's with a few young children and a very busy career, I don't have much time for people I look up to or role models but I can say Barack Obama is someone I look up to.

Not just a great president but a great man, never corrupted by the power of his office and didn't neglect his job as a father and husband despite the weight of the presidency.

well said
Thanks given by:
  The name callers in this thread are typical  'self righteous hypocrites' and they get all ruffled because I refuse to 'debate' them. As though they are worth the effort. It's like the devil screaming' Explain yourself!'   To you?  Not a chance

Well guess what, folks? Jesus ALSO refused to debate his accusers back 'in the day. ' Instead he told them that they are of their father, the devil. . That applies just as well here.

Go ahead, report me for saying that, and prove my point. I need a good laugh

Posts 81, 87, 90, 91, and 97  violate the code. Some of you are like little children

Jesus Christ is Lord
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 07:49 AM)Stevie_Y Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 08:08 PM)miltonred Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 10:11 AM)Stevie_Y Wrote: He's a great orator. That's about it.
Would you deny he achieved the following things
- saved the US car industry and over a million jobs, without costing the US taxpayer a dime
- made it possible for 20 million American men, women and children to get health insurance coverage
- prevented over 3 million American homeowners from going into foreclosure
- turned around a plummeting economy on the brink of a great depression bringing unemployment rates from over 10% to below 5%
- closed all privately run Federal prisons
- prevented Iran from gaining a nuclear weapons capability without firing a shot or putting one soldier in harms way (WMD Iraq anyone?)
- found and killed Osama Bin Laden

Here as some links to articles reviewing the presidency, perhaps you might do better than the four words you mustered.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc...sk/505856/
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38525529
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/15/grading-t...mbers.html
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/...presidency

Of course I wouldn't deny it. Every president does good things, and does bad things. I could give you the same list of the bad things he's done and it's subjective whether or not he was a good president, based on how those things affect people. I have a negative view of Obama, and no good deeds he has done will sway that view.

Interesting.
Thanks given by:
[Image: c609db21075fd48871d75349ca0be805ea614ef6...a20bf1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 09:13 AM)Highstyx Wrote:   The name callers in this thread are typical  'self righteous hypocrites' and they get all ruffled because I refuse to 'debate' them. As though they are worth the effort. It's like the devil screaming' Explain yourself!'   To you?  Not a chance

Well guess what, folks? Jesus ALSO refused to debate his accusers back 'in the day. ' Instead he told them that they are of their father, the devil. . That applies just as well here.

Posts 81, 87, 90, 91, and 97  violate the code. Some of you are like little children

yea because he had nothing to use to back up his argument, so rather than face the music and possibly be embarrassed publicly, he comes up with some religious rhetoric and that's that.

now if he had put up a couple podiums and had a live debate on INN (Israeli news network)  then he would be credible.
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 09:13 AM)Highstyx Wrote:  Well guess what, folks? Jesus ALSO refused to debate his accusers back 'in the day. ' Instead he told them that they are of their father, the devil. . That applies just as well here.

[Image: the-devils-david-puddy.jpg]
Thanks given by: encore
(2017-01-12, 09:13 AM)Highstyx Wrote:   The name callers in this thread are typical  'self righteous hypocrites' and they get all ruffled because I refuse to 'debate' them. As though they are worth the effort. It's like the devil screaming' Explain yourself!'   To you?  Not a chance

Um, allz I did was ask you to specifically say how he insulted the bible? 

Secondly, if you'd be so kind, please point to, specifically, how you can back Trump knowing how he has behaved in regards to women, minorities, people with disabilities, and the fact he's had multiple divorces, and praises/worships a false idol (money). Seems to me, Trump doesn't ooze morality a Christian should want to support?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 09:13 AM)Highstyx Wrote:

unless they were deleted, as I look at the posts now, I fail to see how they violate the code...

81 was my post.  this violates the code how?

(2017-01-11, 07:25 PM)Chris D Wrote: If by mocking the teachings, you mean prvoiding marriage equality....I say kudos to Obama for that!

Kind of funny though how people, namely Republicans, go on about what Obama couldn't do during his time, when it was them who was blocking Obama at every turn, stopping him from getting things accomplished.

Now Trump will be in power, and with the Republicans having thd majority everywhere, there is no one to stop him.  Checks and Balances are gone.  And it means Trump will get stuff passed and Trump supporters will rally around how great he is for getting all the things done.

Silly Republicans.
Thanks given by:
For Trump there will come a Day of Reckoning...hopefully that day is soon.
Thanks given by:

Um, allz I did was ask you to specifically say how he insulted the bible? 

Secondly, if you'd be so kind, please point to, specifically, how you can back Trump knowing how he has behaved in regards to women, minorities, people with disabilities, and the fact he's had multiple divorces, and praises/worships a false idol (money). Seems to me, Trump doesn't ooze morality a Christian should want to support? 

As for post 81, I can give you links to the conservative talk show hosts who called him less than black because of his lack of basketball skill (after looking, turns out I can't. I want to say it was Mark Levin who said it though)? I'm curious, how that was a violation on these boards though?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 10:40 AM)Chris D Wrote:

unless they were deleted, as I look at the posts now, I fail to see how they violate the code...

(2017-01-11, 07:25 PM)Chris D Wrote: If by mocking the teachings, you mean prvoiding marriage equality....I say kudos to Obama for that!

Kind of funny though how people, namely Republicans, go on about what Obama couldn't do during his time, when it was them who was blocking Obama at every turn, stopping him from getting things accomplished.

Now Trump will be in power, and with the Republicans having thd majority everywhere, there is no one to stop him.  Checks and Balances are gone.  And it means Trump will get stuff passed and Trump supporters will rally around how great he is for getting all the things done.

Silly Republicans.

Something must have been deleted before it, or maybe mine was post 82? Anyway, I'm post 81 now, and didn't understand what I said wrong, and after reading what you said there, the only thing I can think of that may violate is "Silly Republicans"... but that's kind of a stretch.
Thanks given by:
oops...my post is #87. still quoted as being against the code.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 10:44 AM)theDC Wrote:

Silly Republicans.

Something must have been deleted before it, or maybe mine was post 82? Anyway, I'm post 81 now, and didn't understand what I said wrong, and after reading what you said there, the only thing I can think of that may violate is "Silly Republicans"... but that's kind of a stretch.

Silly Republicans is not a stretch at all. Happy
Thanks given by:
Anyway, enough about Republicans, Trump, and how they are going to behave.

I've been able to watch most of the speech now, it was moving, emotional, honest. I really can't find anything so far that would make me hate on him for it.. yet, my wife's tea party uncle has liked pages saying things like "Liar Obama and his vomit worthy speech", or "Why everything Obama said in his speech is horses**t".

I'll miss the guy, he wasn't perfect, drone strikes, not closing Gitmo, a weak ACA, and more.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 10:47 AM)divit Wrote:
(2017-01-12, 10:44 AM)theDC Wrote:

Silly Republicans.

Silly Republicans is not a stretch at all. Happy

I meant that it violates the code of conduct here. Not that it's a stretch to call them silly.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 10:49 AM)theDC Wrote: Anyway, enough about Republicans, Trump, and how they are going to behave.

I've been able to watch most of the speech now, it was moving, emotional, honest. I really can't find anything so far that would make me hate on him for it.. yet, my wife's tea party uncle has liked pages saying things like "Liar Obama and his vomit worthy speech", or "Why everything Obama said in his speech is horses**t".

I'll miss the guy, he wasn't perfect, drone strikes, not closing Gitmo, a weak ACA, and more.

Assassinating American citizens, his liberal use of Drone strikes, and his empty promises to protect whistleblowers are what were most disappointing about Obama.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 11:04 AM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:
(2017-01-12, 10:49 AM)theDC Wrote: Anyway, enough about Republicans, Trump, and how they are going to behave.

Assassinating American citizens, his liberal use of Drone strikes, and his empty promises to protect whistleblowers are what were most disappointing about Obama.
I would add to that his foreign policy in general.
Thanks given by:
I didn't see the speech - but I saw a post on FB today saying that he stated in his speech:

“Over last eight years, no foreign terrorist organization has successfully planned and executed an attack on our homeland,”

How on earth did he come to that conclusion?
Thanks given by: