Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ontario hydro
Anyone else's hydro bill drop dramatically this month?  Ms Whine trying to win back some votes?
My life is based on a true story
Thanks given by:
Can't say that I've noticed any dramatic decrease. I'm on equal billing. I see that they've eliminated the debt retirement charge, but the delivery charge always puzzles me.
My heat and hydro are together on my hydro bill. Heat and hydro....$240.00 +delivery charge of $130.00 +Regulatory charges of $12.52.
I think they could find a cheaper courier service. lol

Although I don't like it, I can manage. I live in a poorer area though, many seniors on fixed incomes and quite a few are suffering under the highest hydro rates in North America.

Coupled with the constant price manipulation and gouging of food costs it's becoming a real problem for some folks.
It would be nice if government cared, but there is little evidence that they do.
Thanks given by:
Nope mine was more. It's only supposed to get worst. Hydro is expected to go up in price. Gas and and grocery prices are supposed to go up as well.
Thanks given by:
I heard on boy wonders town hall that part of the tax, the Ontario portion was coming off . My daughter lives in a condo downtown Ottawa and their electric bill is included in the condo fees! But I will ask her the next time we chat. Her inlaws live in Cornwall so will see what she knows. Ours here in Saint John, is poised for a very big increase this year and next because of the carbon grab and repairs to our big hydro dam west of Fredericton. I am hearing 30-40% increase. Got to love Liberals.
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-14, 11:14 AM)Wulfgar85 Wrote: Nope mine was more. It's only supposed to get worst. Hydro is expected to go up in price. Gas and and grocery prices are supposed to go up as well.
Even funeral costs especially cremation services. Sad
After All, Life Goes On
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-14, 12:12 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote:
(2017-01-14, 11:14 AM)Wulfgar85 Wrote: Nope mine was more. It's only supposed to get worst. Hydro is expected to go up in price. Gas and and grocery prices are supposed to go up as well.
Even funeral costs especially cremation services. Sad

Of course. Cremation is an inexpensive option comparatively for many. There is plenty of room to increase their bottom line. 
Why shouldn't we pay more.....even in death.
Thanks given by:
We are in Florida so our hydro is turned off.  Last year our monthly bill was about $55 for delivery charges, taxes etc.  This month it was $18.  Apparently there has been some relief for rural users.
My life is based on a true story
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-15, 06:56 AM)smokey Wrote: We are in Florida so our hydro is turned off.  Last year our monthly bill was about $55 for delivery charges, taxes etc.  This month it was $18.  Apparently there has been some relief for rural users.

Ssshhhh! This doesn't fit with the conservative narrative that Wynne won't be happy until we are all living in poverty under her onerous tax regime. 

(This from the party who were proudly proposing to lay off 100,000 employees at the last election,)
Thanks given by:
It's also the party that deregulated Hydro and set us down this path we're currently on.
“Okay, I put just a little meth in there to get them addicted and keep customers coming back. ..so let me make something else clear: I pissed in every bottle.”
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-15, 10:25 AM)Seamus Wrote: It's also the party that deregulated Hydro and set us down this path we're currently on.

So you are saying that it was the Conservatives who deregulated Ontario Hydro but there are people who blame Wynne and Trudeau for their outrageous bills?
"I view material possessions as a side effect of living rather than a goal of life"
Thanks given by: Seamus
(2017-01-15, 10:33 AM)Lagavulin Wrote:
(2017-01-15, 10:25 AM)Seamus Wrote: It's also the party that deregulated Hydro and set us down this path we're currently on.

So you are saying that it was the Conservatives who deregulated Ontario Hydro but there are people who blame Wynne and Trudeau for their outrageous bills?

I really don't care who gets the blame. I'll be pleased with the person or party that can do something about it. 

I'm not optimistic however; contrary to the laws of physics,  what goes up does not always come down.
Thanks given by: Lagavulin

Yes, back in the 90s and this problem of higher bills was present while the Conservatives were still in power.  IIRC, it was one of the reasons they got the boot.  Granted, Divit, does make a point in that it matters more who fixes it and the Liberals aren't helping right now.  I will say I don't know enough to say if it's even possible to put the genie back in the bottle at this point.
“Okay, I put just a little meth in there to get them addicted and keep customers coming back. ..so let me make something else clear: I pissed in every bottle.”
Thanks given by: Lagavulin , divit
(2017-01-14, 12:11 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote: I heard on boy wonders town hall that part of the tax, the Ontario portion was coming off . My daughter lives in a condo downtown Ottawa and their electric bill is included in the condo fees! But I will ask her the next time we chat. Her inlaws live in Cornwall so will see what she knows. Ours here in Saint John, is poised for a very big increase this year and next because of the carbon grab and repairs to our big hydro dam west of Fredericton. I am hearing 30-40% increase. Got to love Liberals.
Depends if they're in town or just on the outskirts (Long Sault, St. Andrews).

If they're in town they are getting it from Cornwall Electric which buys from Quebec at a much cheaper rate.

My buddy applied for OESP and ended up getting a credit for his next bill
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-15, 10:47 AM)Seamus Wrote:

Yes, back in the 90s and this problem of higher bills was present while the Conservatives were still in power.  IIRC, it was one of the reasons they got the boot.  Granted, Divit, does make a point in that it matters more who fixes it and the Liberals aren't helping right now.  I will say I don't know enough to say if it's even possible to put the genie back in the bottle at this point.

I don't imagine you can - once a service is deregulated and privatized (or semi-privatized), I don't think you can unring that bell. 

That's why the notion of privatizing and deregulated power supply has always baffled me. It's not exactly a service that lends itself to competition - the infrastructure costs billions of dollars. And it's pretty well a necessity, so the power companies have you by the short and curlies. 

One of those Ontario things that's always baffled me - power is deregulated, but liquor sales aren't. That just seems the weirdest set of priorities you'll ever see.
Thanks given by: Lagavulin