Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Our Prospects Updates 2016
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/catchi...-sergachev

I know Hbling usually does these. But I thought some positive outlook is always welcomed. I know, I know, some of you don't care and others prefere to wait and see before you believe in the positives. But for the rest, here is an early look at some of our prospects. All a few years away, and some may never end up in a Habs uni, but nice to keep an eye on...

Prospect Spotlight: Simon Bourque, D, Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)

The Rimouski Oceanic may best be known as the CHL club once led by one Sidney Crosby, but this season they are finding dynamic offensive production from a more balanced approach. Despite only a .500 record to date, the team’s 74 goals are tied for the most among all QMJHL clubs, and the captain has been a big part of that.

Paired with undrafted 18-year old Charles-Edouard D’Astous, Bourque began the week scoring both his team’s goals in a 4-2 loss to Blainville-Boisbriand; the second two-goal night of his QMJHL career resulting in his being named second star despite finishing a -3. Bourque was then held pointless in a 3-2 loss Friday, before another multi-point (two assists) night Saturday saw him again take home the game’s second star, this time in a 5-3 victory.

Bourque’s 20 points in 19 games this season rank fourth among all QMJHL defencemen and third among all Oceanic skaters. The blue-liner will represent his league and country in the upcoming Russia-Canada Series, though he is likely a long-shot for inclusion in Team Canada’s final World Juniors selection camp.

His tremendous start to the season is in contrast to last year, when he was devastated to be cut by the Canadiens following the rookie tournament and before the start of training camp. Recording only four points in his first nine games, then-assistant coach Eric Dubois told RDS, “he didn’t really know how to take it. In his head, he was sure he’d at least be part of the main camp. When you’re so disappointed, your head isn’t in the game, and it’s hard to do your job. He wasn’t sharp mentally, and the worse things went, the more he tried to do too much.”

It took a visit from player development coach Martin Lapointe to snap the defenceman out of it and get him back to playing his own game. “It was the first time Martin came to see me play,” Bourque said in an RDS interview. “He talked to me after the game, and even though I had an idea of what the issues were, when you hear them from Martin Lapointe, it puts them into context.”

Dubois agreed that visit was a turning point for Bourque’s season, noting that from then on, “he understood what it meant to be a number-one defenceman. There’s times to jump in offensively, and times to hold back. Times to get physical, and times not to. When you’re playing 30 minutes a night, you need to manage your own game.”

This summer, Bourque came to camp as a returnee with a fresh attitude. A strong competitor, he mixed it up frequently with 2016 first-rounder Mikhail Sergachev. When asked about it by Le Courrier du Sud, Bourque took the high road, stating, “rrather than see him as a rival and the glass half empty, I see the addition as the Canadiens trying to get better. My job is to improve myself without focusing on others. We’re all competitive on the ice, but we compete with the utmost respect for each other.”

The 2015 sixth-round pick will turn 20 in January, meaning the Canadiens need to sign him at year’s end. If he continues his play at his current pace, it should be a no-brainer, and the offensive rearguard will get into full-time AHL action next season after playing a three-game stint with the St. John’s IceCaps last year. The 6’0” left-handed shooter will likely need two or more years of development at that level, but he projects to add future depth at the position Marc Bergevin seems to covet the highest

more to follow.....
Thanks given by:
Our CHL Prospects this week: (season totals)

(2gp, 0g, 2A, 2Total) Mikhail Sergachev
made his season debut for the Windsor Spitfires after spending a month in Montreal, further cementing the Memorial Cup hosts as a serious contender for the title. Paired with Winnipeg Jets 2016 first-rounder Logan Stanley, Sergachev had three shots but no points in his debut: a 4-2 win over Saginaw. On Sunday, Sergachev looked fully at home, making strong plays at both ends of the rink on a shift that ended in his setting up Logan Brown for a goal to make the score 3-0. He would add a second helper on the power play in the third and take home second-star honours in a 6-3 victory.

(11g, 8-7, 15pt) Jeremiah Addison
was also a big contributor to the two Windsor wins, as his chemistry with Anaheim second-round pick Julius Nättinen continues to flourish. In the third period on Thursday, Addison notched his eighth goal of the season less than one minute after Jalen Chatfield had extended Windsor’s lead to 3-1. The two quick tallies proved to be the death blow despite Saginaw’s 14 third-period shots and a late strike. On Sunday, Addison recorded a third-period power-play assist on ex-linemate Gabriel Vilardi’s tally.

(13g, 6-6, 12pt) Noah Juulsen
scored his sixth goal of the season Saturday, a go-ahead marker late in the first period with the man advantage, leaving him just three off his career high set two seasons ago. The ‘Tips would never relinquish the lead, en route to a 5-2 victory with Juulsen being named the game’s third star. Juulsen was held off the scoreboard in the team’s other game this week, picking up a pair of tripping penalties in a 4-1 win.

(18g, 6-13, 19pts) Matt Bradley
registered an assist in each of Medicine Hat’s three games, all coming during the third period, with his 19 points in 18 contests to date ranking fifth among Tigers’ skaters in points-per-game. On Wednesday, his helper came on a game-sealing empty-net tally, while his assist Friday broke his side’s goose egg in the third period while down 3-0, though it would ultimately prove too little too late in a 5-2 defeat. Finally on Saturday, his line with John Dahlstrom (Chicago seventh-rounder in 2015) and team leading scorer Mason Shaw (2017 draft-eligible 18-year-old) connected to extend Medicine Hat’s lead to 5-2 and ensure a 2-1-0 performance on the week.

(14g, 4-6, 10 pts) Will Bitten
had a good week for Hamilton, but appeared snake-bitten (the puns are quite endless) until Sunday. Held off the scoresheet over his previous five games, Bitten set up Matthew Strome early in the third period to tie the game at four. Then with just under two minutes to play and the Bulldogs on the power play, Bitten was set up by Mackenzie Entwistle in front and lifted a shot past the London netminder to give his side the lead. Bitten would also add the empty netter, named first star for his three-point performance.

(16g, 6-10, 16pts)Victor Mete
was held pointless in the aforementioned London-Hamilton clash, but had multi-point outings in his two previous games. Mete scored the Knights’ third goal and set up their fourth in a 7-0 blowout over North Bay, then collected assists on the team’s first and sixth goals in a 6-4 win the next night. Mete’s 16 points in 16 games rank second among all OHL D-men.

(13g, 4-0, 4pts)Michael Pezzetta
continued an unremarkable season, not only held scoreless in two games, but also weak in the face-off circle: a combined 12-for-40.

---------

Our CHL Dmen all seem to be doing very well

Addison, it is expected as an older CHL player
Thanks given by:
Just some pt totals for our AHL PROSPECTS, of note....

Hudon 12 gp, 8/4- 12 pts
ghetto 10gp, 5g, 6A- 11pts
Sherbak 12gp, 6/4- 10pts
McC 10gp, 1/9- 7 pts (ouch a little low on goals?)

Matteau 10 gp, 4/3, 7 pts....better then McC??
DLR 8gp, 0/1- 1pt...ouch
Thanks given by:
I'm reading good things about a few of the Euro-Prospects as well...
Thanks given by:
As per Habs eye on the prize.

Lindgren is undefeated so far, the rookie goaltender is really starting to make a name for himself.

It’s like having a wall back there. He gives you a huge boost of confidence. When he’s in the net back there, against one of the top teams in the league, you have so much confidence because you know he’s going to make the big key save.” - McCarron on Lindgren

McCarron scores his first on the weekend and Scherback is on an 8 point scoring streak.

Some positive things from our future Habbers.
Thanks given by:
I think I read on TSN that Juulsen is being touted as top 4 on team Canada and liikely first pair D-man if Chychrun isn't allowed to play. Good to read he has rebounded from last year.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-09, 03:29 AM)tm123 Wrote: I think I read on TSN that Juulsen is being touted as top 4 on team Canada and liikely first pair D-man if Chychrun isn't allowed to play.  Good to read he has rebounded from last year.

Juulsen is getting a lot of attention and Captained one of the Team Canada entries in the Russia series.
Thanks given by:
Well when it comes to rebounding (via pt totals or reports): Sherbak, Juulsen

Who continues his very good AHL stats: Hudon

Who has been slow putting up pts this year, so far: DLR (1pt), McC (1 goal, has as many pts as Matteau!)
Thanks given by:
Passed over 211 times in the NHL draft,
Michael McNiven is now arguably the OHL’s top goaltender.

Last season, McNiven was named one of six finalists for OHL Goaltender of the Year, despite owning a .902 SV% that placed him just on the inside of the top-20 in the league. 

This season, the Canadiens prospect has made another encouraging set of improvements to his game, starting with more aggressive positioning and improved rebound control.

(Habs Eyes On The Prize)
Thanks given by:
Just reading that Soup,
Yes, Frankie Buoillon will be joining the IceCap staff in the coming days.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-11, 10:16 PM)habling Wrote: Just reading that Soup,
Yes, Frankie Buoillon will be joining the IceCap staff in the coming days.
Good news.

Sent from my T03 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
It should thicken the broth down there...
Thanks given by:
Nice article on All About The Habs....
Goalie Factory.

Price
Montoya
Lindgren
Fucale
McNiven
Hawkey
Thanks given by:
Scherbak with a goal and assist today in a losing effort. He already has as many goals this year as he did all of last year in 48 games. Not sure if he will see action this year in the NHL but good to see him rebound from the injury plagued season. Note he is still taking some big hits which is a worry.
Thanks given by:
(2016-11-13, 01:21 AM)tm123 Wrote: Scherbak with a goal and assist today in a losing effort.  He already has as many goals this year as he did all of last year in 48 games.  Not sure if he will see action this year in the NHL but good to see him rebound from the injury plagued season.  Note he is still taking some big hits which is a worry.

Hopefully, he can be as skillful with his head up, or it will be a short professional career...
Thanks given by:
He is possibly the most skilled player on the Icecaps .
Thanks given by:
I was disappointed with Sherbak's camp this season. I was expecting more, he looked kind of slow and lanky out there and not at all defensively responsible. But it sounds like he has been working how in St. John's and he is producing so good on him. He just needs to keep it up
Thanks given by:
IMO, Scherbak is no different than Galchenyuk -- and even Pacioretty -- early on in their careers (I love saying that about a 22-yr-old like Galchenyuk). He needs to develop strength in his legs to become more dominant when trying to exploit his clearly strong skill level. Stronger on the puck, better at puck protection and keeping his head up are crucial elements he must continue to work on.

He's a good, smooth skater, so I'm not worried about that.
Thanks given by:
I, like all fans, hope he can become a top 6 player. In the few games I watched live he didnt do much. But I noticed this camp how he was part of the Russian connection on the team. Lots of pixs on social media of him with Serg, chuck, emelin, markov. Maybe he is feeling more comfortable in the organization, feeling healthy, ready to tale next step. Hoping for the best!
Thanks given by:
Hope he isn't a wash out, in the end, like that other Russian we had in Hamilton that was supposed to be the next Kovalev!
Thanks given by: