Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Our Prospects Updates 2016
Wrist/hand was iced last game on the bench (I read that somewhere). Most likely a day-to-day thing, or he would have missed part of the last game altogether....
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-03, 01:56 PM)Scriptor Wrote: Sometimes, it's as you say, but generally not, Haba. You lump every player being developed into the same basket and it isn't necessarily so.

Therrien, IMO, plays some third or 4th line players in the top 6 (  good luck calling which of the top two lines is actually the 1st line Wink  ) because he clearly doesn't have enough genuine top 6 depth that can be both good defensively and good offensively to play a prototypical top 6.

He is doing precisely what you state other teams are doing with third lines that are expected to score some goals or provide some Offense. He is spreading out his O players as pairs on the top two lines and adding a player with an element that adds something to the pairings; Byron for speed and a willingness to buzz in and out of pay areas, Plekanec to be a shutdown C (without the Offense) between two players that might be able to generate scoring chances in Pacioretty and Gallagher, Desharnais (it just isn't working so far, although he is one of the better Cs on the team at generating scoring chances if you look at the advanced stats) with Lehkonen and Shaw, Shaw bringing the gumption, Lehkonen the scoring touch and Desharnais the alleged playmaking ability.

What you call out from Therrien, IMO, a coach that does need to win instead of, perhaps, concentrating on developing players, as you also mention, should be a finger pointed at Bergevin who must clearly see the team's needs to be addressed, the missing players for Therrien to do otherwise and still ice a winning lineup, without relying strictly on Price to do so.

I'm patient with Bergevin because this isn't the best time to land those missing pieces in a trade. He's also been historically (and, generally, successfully) proactive at the trade deadline. There is still hope we land one (hopefully two) missing piece(s) at the deadline to make a real push for a deep playoff run. The past has shown Bergevin's propensity for this, and not necessarily only as rentals.

There's two ways to look at things. Either you want a coach that focuses on developing players and are ready to contend in two, three, four or even five years, or you look at a coach, with the help of his GM, who focuses on getting things done sooner with a core nucleus while he still has that core nucleus locked up.

Who knows what the future holds in a Cap world, but one thing is for sure:

It's easier to get players to concede a little when you have a team on the cusp of winning and it becomes a little easier to keep your core together in that kind of an environment.

Therrien is far from perfect as a coach, but he is NHL coaching material and has often gotten more out of his lineup than it would appear he should get out of it, at least on paper.

It's not always pretty, though Wink

Bergevin, IMO, needs to provide the missing pieces. If not all this year, a bit this year for a longer playoff run that builds confidence and a little more next year, along with younger players continuing to mature, to be real contenders during those playoffs.

Being genuine contenders when Price's contract runs out may well help us re-sign the Best G without needing to forego too many other players in the process. The difference, IMO, between 9M and 10M, for example, especially long term, if it means playing for a winning team VS a developing team, isn't a difference worth moving for. In Price's case, it will be more a matter of respect by making him the team's highest paid player at the time he re-ups his contract, not about making him the highest paid player in the league, a little like it was with Lidstrom in Detroit, or Brodeur, I believe, in New Jersey.

I agree.
It's easy for fans and media people to judge a coach's abilities and criticize his way of coaching/handling of players based on what they see and of course their belief of how it should be.
But as you said in your post, there are so many factors to consider, not to mention the lack of offence from some key players.  I'm sure that once these players begin to produce, this will help make MT's job easier and the Habs will be putting up more wins.  It's a long season and I believe that some of us have to realize that we need to be patient and not jump to conclusions.
Thanks given by:
Unless the team gets caught in an eddy as it did last season and starts spiralling towards the abyss again, I do believe we need to be patient, mostly for Bergevin to be at the right moment to make the necessary moves.

Panic is never a good place to be when making decisions. At worst, without any moves made and the team still playing at least .500 hockey going forward we will remain in a playoff position, youngsters will be tested and some will continue to progress, just in time for the trade deadline to roll around and for Bergevin to be in a position to know precisely what moves need to be made and what players are expendable in that process.

As long as Price stays healthy, Bergevin will be in a better position to make the necessary moves than he was last season. The team, with a few add-ons, stands to be in a good position to make some damage in the postseason.
Thanks given by:
IceCaps Win in OT this afternoon...
Terry scored two, the opener and the OT Winner.
Andrighetto added a Goal and Assist in the 3-2 Win.
Thanks given by:
Got this from HOI

Update about Martin Reway

http://www.cas.sk/clanok/477600/novinky-...sa-na-lad/

I know you are suppose to also put the article, but it's in another language anyways. So here is a summary...according to google translation

Still recovering, at home, will have next round scan/tests in January. Inflamed heart due to a virus. Most likely season is done and hopefully January results will tell what is next for his health and career.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-06, 12:42 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: Got this from HOI

Update about Martin Reway

http://www.cas.sk/clanok/477600/novinky-...sa-na-lad/

I know you are suppose to also put the article, but it's in another language anyways.  So here is a summary...according to google translation

Still recovering, at home, will have next round scan/tests in January.  Inflamed heart due to a virus.  Most likely season is done and hopefully January results will tell what is next for his health and career.

That's really upsetting. Poor guy. 

MaCcarron has a concussion. Not sure how serious
Thanks given by:
I read from someone (so not sure his source) that McC was day to day and Sherbak is expected back later this month
Thanks given by:
McCarron and Hudon playing today. Hudon goal and assist already.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-09, 07:19 PM)tm123 Wrote: McCarron and Hudon playing today.  Hudon goal and assist already.
All Hudon needs is to add muscle mass, but with somebody to help in the gym to avoid other injuries. His speed is adequate, his skills are excellent and his his defensive awareness will improve with experience.
"Only one thing matters in life, and it's the cup"  
                                            - Caresse Crosby

Thanks given by:
(2016-12-09, 08:47 PM)Leb7 Wrote:
(2016-12-09, 07:19 PM)tm123 Wrote: McCarron and Hudon playing today.  Hudon goal and assist already.
All Hudon needs is to add muscle mass, but with somebody to help in the gym to avoid other injuries. His speed is adequate, his skills are excellent and his his defensive awareness will improve with experience.

Legs. He needs a stronger base to handle the rigours of the larger opposition he will face t the NHL level.
Thanks given by:
Noah Juulsen continues to forge ahead...
He is catching attention throughout the prospect ranks.
With Sergachev and Juulsen in the fold, the Habs should be in great shape when veterans like Markov and Weber are ready to sail into the sunset.
Thanks given by:
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/11/wor...ow-up-fast

Not sure if he will get a spot, but nice that he was invited to camp

I only saw him play once and what I noticed is how he is very aggressive in net. Very busy. Think 100% opposite of Price. This kid was more like Hasek lol. But it was just one game that I saw, so....
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-11, 11:23 AM)habling Wrote: Noah Juulsen continues to forge ahead...
With Sergachev and Juulsen in the fold, the Habs should be in great shape when veterans like Markov and Weber are ready to sail into the sunset.

Markov is about to turn 38 and Weber turned 31 this summer. Weber is far from retiring or at the very least much farther from retirement than Markov
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-12, 01:53 PM)mada7 Wrote:

Markov is about to turn 38 and Weber turned 31 this summer. Weber is far from retiring or at the very least much farther from retirement than Markov

Well Serg may be in the nhl next year. But there is always a chance we have enough NHL dmen that we can wait and develop him in AHL for a year.

I would say Juulsen is at least 2-3 yrs away, as he is still in CHL and we know MB likes to take his time with Dmen in AHL.

I think tho that Habling meant that these 2 prospects will be ready to take over the roles that Mark/Web have TODAY when Mark/Web retire. I expect Weber to retire about 7 yrs after Markov lol. so by the time both are gone...Juul/Serg should be in our top 4 D corp.
Thanks given by:
The only downside is that Serg might be our only asset others may want (besides picks and current NHL roster players) if we're trying to add for a cup run.  Our cupboard isn't exactly full of top line prospects.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-12, 02:13 PM)art_vandelay Wrote: The only downside is that Serg might be our only asset others may want (besides picks and current NHL roster players) if we're trying to add for a cup run.  Our cupboard isn't exactly full of top line prospects.

that's why I don't expect a big trade coming our way that includes us giving up prospects to the other team

Depth moves, and we give up depth prospects...sure. but our say "top 3 prospects", you can't touch cause we are pretty thin. That's what you get for being near the top of the league for most seasons.

So let's hope our new off season pick ups....Web/Shaw/Rad PLUS our depth guys stepping up PLUS a rookie or two (Lehk?) be enough added to this core to make it to the cup!!
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-12, 02:07 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote:
(2016-12-12, 01:53 PM)mada7 Wrote:

Well Serg may be in the nhl next year.  But there is always a chance we have enough NHL dmen that we can wait and develop him in AHL for a year.

I would say Juulsen is at least 2-3 yrs away, as he is still in CHL and we know MB likes to take his time with Dmen in AHL.

I think tho that Habling meant that these 2 prospects will be ready to take over the roles that Mark/Web have TODAY when Mark/Web retire.  I expect Weber to retire about 7 yrs after Markov lol. so by the time both are gone...Juul/Serg should be in our top 4 D corp.

Fair enough I just hate how often habs fans say that Weber is old simply because he is a few years older than Subban.
Thanks given by:
Team Canada cut prospect Victor Mete from the WJC selection camp.
Thanks given by: SeanCDNMTL
Another friggin bust! Dammit!
Thanks given by:
Wink
Thanks given by: