Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Own the Podium" and taxpayer funded medals--Thoughts?
(2016-08-22, 03:44 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: There's also a lot to be said for kids who play sports are far less apt to get involved with a bad crowd/drugs/etc.  Its not just an investment in medals, but the health of our children

Are you suggesting kids get into sports because elite Olympic athletes get subsidized by the government?

Otherwise this makes no sense.

Even though the amount mentioned (25 - 35 Million?) would not likely go all that far, if the above is true wouldn't it make more sense to spend that money getting marginalized/at risk kids into sports?
Thanks given by:
True. I guess I'm obviously in favour of the gov't spending a lot of money on sports for youth of all ages and levels.
Thanks given by:
Me too. I think those 'investments' ultimately come home in the form of reduced health care costs many decades down the line as well.

Of course that would take a government with actual foresight that goes beyond the next election cycle...
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-22, 05:51 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Can't be good at everything.. 35million people

True, but a winter nation like Canada should be far better at skiing than we are. We rarely even contend for a medal let alone get one.
We live to survive our paradoxes
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-22, 05:48 PM)SNLeafaholic Wrote:
(2016-08-17, 07:35 PM)lewis94 Wrote:
(2016-08-17, 06:11 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: I think they can and should fund both.

Agreed. Without funding, our athletes wouldn't be able to focus on training full-time and we'd see not only a decrease in medals, but many of our athletes wouldn't be able to go at all.

I also agree.! but I would like to see more funding for sports that this country inherently should do better at..in the winter Olympics im blown away at how poorly we do in cross country skiing,ski jumping and the biathalon..

Yes, we should be naturals at skiing and jumping and more winter events.

Sometimes it's embarrassing
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
Why should we be good at skiing and jumping? Skiing in Canada is a holiday, a past time. Norway, Austria, skiing is a way of life. Skiing in Canada is also an elitist sport not generally for the common folk.
Thanks given by:
Because we are a country that has snow and mountains
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-22, 08:54 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: Because we are a country that has snow and mountains

Because someone has a brain that doesn't make them intelligent.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-22, 08:53 PM)tm123 Wrote: Why should we be good at skiing and jumping?  Skiing in Canada is a holiday, a past time.  Norway, Austria, skiing is a way of life.  Skiing in Canada is also an elitist sport not generally for the common folk.

Yes, its winter year round in Austria and Norway, and they all live in igloos.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-24, 11:30 AM)miltonred Wrote:
(2016-08-22, 08:53 PM)tm123 Wrote: Why should we be good at skiing and jumping?  Skiing in Canada is a holiday, a past time.  Norway, Austria, skiing is a way of life.  Skiing in Canada is also an elitist sport not generally for the common folk.

Yes, its winter year round in Austria and Norway, and they all live in igloos.
 Who said that, yet who even implied that?  Skiing is to those countries what hockey is to Canada.
Thanks given by:
Bring back Steve Podborski and the Crazy Canucks.
Thanks given by: