Who's the bigger star?

Thanks given by:
According to Google:

Michael Phelps -- 1.93 m, 88 kg
Usain Bolt -- 1.95 m, 94 kg

Hope that helps! Wink
Thanks given by: thebest41587
Bolt.
Not exactly scientific but this article ranks the most well known athletes. Bolt 14th, Phelps not on the list.
http://www.businessinsider.com/most-famo...ahimovic-1
Thanks given by:
Apples to oranges. Phelps has had far more races to compete in so it's hard to compare his 20+ gold medals to Bolt's seven (so far). Both have dominated their sports fairly equally I think. In any race they compete in there's no doubt as to who will win (other than Phelps' loss to that Singapore kid the other night).

Bigger media personality? Definitely Bolt.
We live to survive our paradoxes
Thanks given by:
Well, Usain certainly has personality and a great troll face, too Laugh . 

[Image: QnNKKYQ.jpg]
Thanks given by: Ryu65
For the record, Phelps is not the fastest swimmer over any distance, never has been.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-15, 04:20 AM)miltonred Wrote: For the record, Phelps is not the fastest swimmer over any distance, never has been.

Wha?  His WR in butterfly say differently, lol.

Who is the biggest star?  Bolt, no doubt about it.  His personality and where he comes from definitely helps (no one wants to cheer for a bloody American, lol), but mainly it's because it's the nature of the sport and everyone loves the fastest man on earth.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-15, 10:01 AM)Habfan Wrote:
(2016-08-15, 04:20 AM)miltonred Wrote: For the record, Phelps is not the fastest swimmer over any distance, never has been.

Who is the biggest star?  Bolt, no doubt about it.  His personality and where he comes from definitely helps (no one wants to cheer for a bloody American, lol), but mainly it's because it's the nature of the sport and everyone loves the fastest man on earth.

I think he's alluding to the fact that freestyle is the fastest stroke. He's incorrect in saying Phelps has never been the fastest at that though, he won Gold at Beijing and set a WR in the 200 free.
Thanks given by:
Bolt by a lot. the world cares more about the sprinter than the swimmer. As a Jamaican export Bolt is probably second only to Bob Marley in the fame and celebrity department
"I thank you in advance for the great round of applause I am about to get." - Bo Diddley
Thanks given by:
only reason the sprinting has more concern is because the media says so.

the USA for the most part dominates swimming, although Australia is 2nd and China/UK are a distant 3rd.
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
Its the most watched event every olympics, which is more than just media-driven
Thanks given by:
Bolt, hands down. The 100m is the biggest Olympic event, and he's dominated it for 3 straight Olympics. That's not to say that Phelps hasn't dominated, but sprinting is far more popular on the world stage than swimming.

I don't really follow either sports all that closely, but even before the Olympics, I could name a few sprinters. But Phelps is the only one I knew was competing in swimming. The same level of appeal simply doesn't exist in swimming.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-15, 01:51 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: only reason the sprinting has more concern is because the media says so.

the USA for the most part dominates swimming, although Australia is 2nd and China/UK are a distant 3rd.

Or the media simply covers it more because that's what people want to see...which is the far more logical explanation than some sort of media driven conspiracy to keep swimming popularity low.
Thanks given by:
lol. I love people who think the media dictates everyone's opinions
We live to survive our paradoxes
Thanks given by:
Bolt by $5 million.
Assuming in a free-market you get paid what you're worth: Phelps' net worth is $55M, Bolt's is $60M.

So by appearance fees and advertising contracts etc., Bolt is bigger.
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-15, 10:01 AM)Habfan Wrote:

Butterfly is a slow technique for swimming which is why all the swimmers swim front crawl in the freestyle event. 
Record for 100metres butterfly is 11 seconds slower than 100 freestyle. And Phelps holds no world records today.
Thanks given by:
Bolt. And it's not close.

No disrespect to Phelps, but imo it's the event that dictates this outcome.
Thanks given by:
I got to give it to Phelps.

Bolt runs fast...awesome....he runs faster over short distances than any other out there ever....awesome....

But what what Phelps has done, in multiple events, would be equivalent to Bolt winning 100m, 110m hurdles, 200m, 400m...all of them...over 3 Olympics.

The broad amount of events that Phelps has dominated in, gives him the edge imo.

28 olympic medals...23 of them gold, is hard to outweigh.
Thanks given by:
I am sure almost everybody on earth has wished at one time to be the fastest runner on earth, on the other hand most people are happy not to die while swimming.
Thanks given by: miltonred
Swimming is a rich person's sport. It is almost like comparing Gretzky to Pele. Both are fantastic athletes, but Bolt is probably easier to relate to for the average person.
"Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost!"
Thanks given by: