Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phillip Danault
Have the Habs found that 2nd Line Center?

A few months back all the focus was on Bergevin acquiring a Top 6 Forward,
Possibly a 2nd Line Center.

Has Phillip Danault proven worthy of the job?
Since Galchenyuk's injury Danault has done nothing but go from role player (winger) to #1 Center.
Since Galchenyuk's injury Danault has carried the mail.

Upon the return of Galchenyuk...
Does Therrien use Danault as his #2 Center?
Thanks given by:
I honestly don't know yet where Danault falls in, whether second or third, but what a revelation he has been this season
Thanks given by: habling
Danault will play 2nd line C before Plekanec does, IMO, if Bergevin doesn't trade for an already established 2nd line C. Danault is certainly taking advantage of his opportunity to showcase himself, something neither Carr nor Andrighetto have succeeded in doing.
Thanks given by:
I think he definitely has that potential as long as he stays humble and works a bit on his playmaking and faceoffs. Id be fine going into the playoffs with him as our number 2 C but in the off season Id like to see him work on taking better advantage of his wingers and faceoffs are super important if you're going to play large minutes as a centre
Thanks given by:
With Gallagher now injured it throws a bit of a wrench into a potential 2nd Line however....
But yeah, the way Danault has stepped up and played in the absence of Galchenyuk,
I believe he has earned that Top 6, 2nd line center spot.
Thanks given by:
Very interesting. But even more interesting is the recent resurgence of Plekanec offensively and the dilemma it poses for the coaching staff when Galchenyuk returns. Because of experience, my bet is on Pleky.
"Only one thing matters in life, and it's the cup"  
                                            - Caresse Crosby

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 10:52 PM)Leb7 Wrote: Very interesting. But even more interesting is the recent resurgence of Plekanec offensively and the dilemma it poses for the coaching staff when Galchenyuk returns. Because of experience, my bet is on Pleky.

Even before scoring these past two games he was playing well and generating chances with Lehkonen and Flynn and now Byron whos a definite upgrade on Flynn. Definitely will be some tough decisions to make as guys get healthy
Thanks given by:
Via Basu, (And, AllAboutTheHabs) Phillip Danault has 4 goals, 8 assists, and 12 points in 17 games as the Habs #1 centreman since Alex Galchenyuk's injury.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 05:47 AM)habling Wrote: Via Basu, (And, AllAboutTheHabs) Phillip Danault has 4 goals, 8 assists, and 12 points in 17 games as the Habs #1 centreman since Alex Galchenyuk's injury.

Will Danault be able to produce the same with different line mates? Have to assume Galchenyuk will take back that spot when he returns
Thanks given by:
WAY too early to tell, and because of that I think he goes back to the 3rd line when Galchenyuk comes back, and Pleks keeps his role on the 2nd line. Although, I could see Danault getting some extra shifts because of his great play of late. He's had a good run, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Byron has also had 13 points in 17 games, and I wouldn't say we should be putting him on the top line.

However with all of that said, I wouldn't be surprised if Galchenyuk comes back on the 2nd line and MT keeps Danault on the 1st line. He might want to keep the ball rolling until it hits a wall, and he may hope that Galchenyuk starts a new offensive run on the 2nd line.
Thanks given by:
On this team, can you really tell the diff between the 2nd line or 3rd line when all healthy?

Seriously

Lehk/Pleks/Shaw
Bryon/Dan/Gally

What is the 2nd line or what is the 3rd line? At end of day, I think 5on5 TOI will be pretty even in games...unless one of the lines is just "on" that game and then they end up maybe with even more 5on5 TOI then our top line lol
Thanks given by:
IF anything these injuries have forced MT to try Danault at C. As we recall, when all healthy at start of season he was on the wing.

So to me it's not so much a question of if he has yet proven to be a #2C more then he HAS PROVEN that he is one of our regular C now on this team.

MB said he felt he could trade Eller away BECAUSE HE HAD PICKED UP DANAULT (many think it had to do with getting Shaw, but not as per MB). But when I heard that in the summer, I assumed it meant Dan would be the 3rd line C this season. But he wasn't. He ended up on the 4th line wing. Now I think MTL can not be silly enough to put him back on wing when all healthy.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 10:02 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote:
(2017-01-12, 05:47 AM)habling Wrote: Via Basu, (And, AllAboutTheHabs) Phillip Danault has 4 goals, 8 assists, and 12 points in 17 games as the Habs #1 centreman since Alex Galchenyuk's injury.

Will Danault be able to produce the same with different line mates? Have to assume Galchenyuk will take back that spot when he returns

Was going to ask the same thing Sean

Patches/Rad are top wingers. I won't say "anyone" should be able to get points with them. Maybe assists get easier because you are playing with stars, but it's still up to him to be able to score a goal. Obviously I can't imagine anyone expect him to keep that offense pace if he plays with any 2 other wingers on this team. I guess if he is a 2C will depend on if he has enough offensive vision or goal scoring ability needed for that role. You don't have to be both of those, but one of them for sure. You either have to think the game so well and read the plays and THEN be able to make the pass to your line mates (the playmaking C).....or, as in this case, you play with a playmaking winger and you are able to play along and pot some goals when it's on your stick.

Danault is still young. Did he even start in Chicago last year? If so then he only has 1 full year of NHL duty under his belt. We know how many seasons it's taken Chuck. At end of day. He is now a fixture at C. And he may end up being good enough to be a 2C guy (which in my opinion is a 50 pt guy)
Thanks given by:
Danault came to Montreal with about 30 NHL games experience. It will be his first full season. Like McCarron, he is a late first rounder so I was not expecting much of him. Now, he shows flash of more than a simple 3rd liner. When Plekanec contract comes to an end, the team will have plenty of replacement parts in Danault, McCarron and Hudon. I like the depth Bergevin is building.
"Only one thing matters in life, and it's the cup"  
                                            - Caresse Crosby

Thanks given by:

Good Question Considering Possible Acquisitions.....

Or, will Danault e able to produce at a higher level then other Hab Centers on a 2nd line?
Would Danault be a better option then Plekanec or Desharnais?
Thanks given by:
i believe that Danault has an excellent player profile for the playoffs; good on F/Os, solid defensive player with strong forechecking instincts. Fast skater that has a nose for the net and doesn't shy away from physical contact. Seems to be able to distribute the puck with confidence and will shoot when there is an opening.

What else do you want from a C?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 12:39 PM)habling Wrote:

Good Question Considering Possible Acquisitions.....

Or, will Danault e able to produce at a higher level then other Hab Centers on a 2nd line?
Would Danault be a better option then Plekanec or Desharnais?

I still think the issue is with the wingers on this team

Say Lehk/Pleks/Bryon stay as a line.....Gally out long term....who does Dan play with? To me we have a 2A and 2B line if/when Patches/Rad play on same line. So either you split that up and give one to Dan and then you can say he is our 2C. But if you put him with Carr/Shaw it's not that the team thinks he is no more then a 3C...it's just that is all the talent we have on the wing.

Man we need another top 6 winger on this team. Been saying that since day 1 when everyone was screaming for a 2C (prior to Dan playing c)
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 12:48 PM)Scriptor Wrote: i believe that Danault has an excellent player profile for the playoffs; good on F/Os, solid defensive player with strong forechecking instincts. Fast skater that has a nose for the net and doesn't shy away from physical contact. Seems to be able to distribute the puck with confidence and will shoot when there is an opening.

What else do you want from a C?

good looks Wink

Actually he isn't too bad looking...so how about 6'2" size?

U r right. Not much else we can want then what Dan is bringing. When you look at the pts in the league, you see that a 2C typically will get you 50-60 pts. Dan is at that pace, and so young still. He should get better.

But I guess I don't see him as a playmaker, which is what we expect from a C. But if he can continue with all the stuff you listed, as a 2C, playmaking may not be the biggest deal if your wingers are 20+ goal guys. They will have the talent to bury enough.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 10:51 AM)Habfan Wrote: WAY too early to tell, and because of that I think he goes back to the 3rd line when Galchenyuk comes back, and Pleks keeps his role on the 2nd line.  Although, I could see Danault getting some extra shifts because of his great play of late.  He's had a good run, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.  Byron has also had 13 points in 17 games, and I wouldn't say we should be putting him on the top line.  

However with all of that said, I wouldn't be surprised if Galchenyuk comes back on the 2nd line and MT keeps Danault on the 1st line.  He might want to keep the ball rolling until it hits a wall, and he may hope that Galchenyuk starts a new offensive run on the 2nd line.

No way is Danault played as the 1st line centre over Galchenyuk. Most good coaches agree that you dont lose your spot because of an injury and even with all the time off from his injury Galchenyuk still has more points this season than Danault. You get someone like that back and you put him back in his rightful spot on the first line to get everyone on the team back into their proper spot in the lineup
Thanks given by:
I've been so impressed with Danault and I'm now convinced he is second line material. What a goal last night. That was like watching an old clip of Guy Lafleur or Pavel Bure. I miss the old end to end rush.

Sent from my T03 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: habling