Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phillip Danault
Yes Danault has been really fantastic for us this season.

I think he can be a Patrice Bergeron light type of player. I highly doubt he gets to the level of Bergeron, but he has a lot of smarts, makes few mistakes and contributes both ends of the ice. He isn't a top line centre, but maybe can reach a number 2 or 2 A level
Thanks given by:
Dan in his first fill season in the nhl is showing he can keep up with elite linemates. Showing that he isn't dragging them down or making the line weaker offensively.

Put him with 2 line offensive players and he should do the same. I don't think he creates offense, but he compliments and keeps up with the star players. So if u put him with meh offensive players (ie. Shaw, Ghetto) u won't see his pts/game the same. Cause like I said he doesn't necessarily ceate the offense for his line. But put him even with 20 g 2line winger types...he can be a solid 50pt 2 line C.

That's what I see, in only his 1st full season.
Put with with real 2 line wingers...and he will put up 2 line pts too.
Thanks given by: habling
(2017-02-11, 08:56 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: Dan in his first fill season in the nhl is showing he can keep up with elite linemates. Showing that he isn't dragging them down or making the line weaker offensively.

Put him with 2 line offensive players and he should do the same. I don't think he creates offense, but he compliments and keeps up with the star players. So if u put him with meh offensive players (ie. Shaw, Ghetto)  u won't see his pts/game the same. Cause like I said he doesn't necessarily ceate the offense for his line. But put him even with 20 g 2line winger types...he can be a solid 50pt 2 line C.

That's what I see, in only his 1st full season.
Put with with real 2 line wingers...and he will put up 2 line pts too.
That's the way I see it too....
So if MB were to acquire a Top 6 Winger.... ie. Evander Kane.
The Habs would have a legit Top 6.

With the Top Line playing as it is,
The option to keep it as is for the time being....
Or switch Danault and Galchenyuk down the road.
Thanks given by:
I'm not convinced that you get a 50P 2nd line winger in Danault if he doesn't play with Pacioretty and Radulov. Hell, I think he'd have trouble getting 50 playing with those two.

Likely more of a 40P C asa 2nd line C with, for example, Gallagher and Kane, to keep the same example as Habling.

Keep Danault with Pacioretty and Radulov and he might get 50 over a full season. Galchenyuk with Gallagher and Kane would also get around 50, maybe 55.

Still makes for a balanced Offense, which is always better than a one-line Offense.
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-11, 09:20 PM)Scriptor Wrote: I'm not convinced that you get a 50P 2nd line winger in Danault if he doesn't play with Pacioretty and Radulov. Hell, I think he'd have trouble getting 50 playing with those two.

Likely more of a 40P C asa 2nd line C with, for example, Gallagher and Kane, to keep the same example as Habling.

Keep Danault with Pacioretty and Radulov and he might get 50 over a full season. Galchenyuk with Gallagher and Kane would also get around 50, maybe 55.

Still makes for a balanced Offense, which is always better than a one-line Offense.

It makes for a balanced but thoroughly mediocre and easy to defend against offense. If you were to load up the top line you can get one line that is so dominant that it creates space and opportunities for the ones that come after because of how worn out top defenders would get from being up against them regularly and how punishing it would be to have anyone but your top defenders out there.

If you spread out the offense what happens is no line is particularly dominant so no line necessitates being covered by top defensemen so the opponent can more evenly distribute their ice time and have more energy to defend against the other lines.

A balanced offense is only really desirable when it is balanced in such a way that every line is at the caliber of a first line. You balance every line to be a mediocre second line and you end up with a mediocre team that needs stellar goaltending to win. The best players on the team should be playing together as much as possible because together they are a lot harder to defend against than they are separately
Thanks given by:
Mediocre 2nd line is your interpretation. I look at it as a 1A, 1B scenario, with two above average top lines and, probably one of the top 3rd lines that can play two-way hockey with secondary scoring... A fourth line that can come across as a checking line and not just an energy line.

In a game like tonight, the Pacioretty-Danault-Radulov line was incessantly creating scoring chances. I don't really think that splitting Galchenyuk from that line, if you give him a quality LW to go with Gallagher will create the situation you describe.

But, have it your way to make your point...

Your three points are summed up by, Desharnais doesn't deserve to play in a garage league remotely close to the city of Montreal

Therrien should get fired as soon as the next time he sneezes

A One-Line Offense is oh so good

That's interpretation. See how that comes across?
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-11, 10:58 PM)Scriptor Wrote: Mediocre 2nd line is your interpretation. I look at it as a 1A, 1B scenario, with two above average top lines and, probably one of the top 3rd lines that can play two-way hockey with secondary scoring... A fourth line that can come across as a checking line and not just an energy line.

In a game like tonight, the Pacioretty-Danault-Radulov line was incessantly creating scoring chances. I don't really think that splitting Galchenyuk from that line, if you give him a quality LW to go with Gallagher will create the situation you describe.

Your three points are summed up by, Desharnais doesn't deserve to play in a garage league remotely close to the city of Montreal

50 points in a season is not a first liner and definitely not an above average first liner. If your first line centre finishes the year around 50 points that is an awful first line and only a pretty good second liner. The scenario you described would be great but we don't have the personnel to run that system and short of tanking several years when a truly top tier player is available at first overall. Basically only the penguins and maybe a fully healthy lightning or oilers have the personnel to run such a system right now. If a bunch of trades are done to get us 2 first lines worth of talent sure but right now that is not what we have even with a healthy gallagher

Right now we have the personnel for 1 very good first line, an average to above average second line. Spreading it out is only going to make the top line worse and the second line at best marginally better and the proof is that we are doing this right now and we have been shut out twice in the past 4 games including against one of the worst teams in the league with our only win needing overtime against another of the worst teams in the league.
Thanks given by:
I agree that Bergevin needs to add talent via the trade route (for this year) or trade/UFA route (for next year) for my scenario to happen. We definitely don't have the talent to do it right now, February 12th.

Otherwise, without Bergevin infusing a dose of talent into the top-6, we have a blah team with a One-line Offense and a bunch of (hopefully awesome, if they buy into the coach's system) checking lines.

Youppie-doo.

Might as well pack it in or hope that Price gets close to a shutout every nail-biting playoff game where, if we're lucky, we score two goals on a good night.

My only problem with this scenario is that I agree with Higginsfan, I believe, that our D is overestimated. We don't have the D to support THAT type of stingy defensive game plan in four 4 of 7 series against much tougher opposition than the Sabres and 'Yotes of this world.

I don't see how stacking one line makes us winners against the better teams. Against the bottom teams, probably, if the other three lines, to a player, follow the coach's system.

Oh, yeah, and if Price decides to stop the puck.
Thanks given by:
It makes us a better team now because it ensures we have at least one line that would scare opponents as opposed to none. It gives us a chance of having a line good enough to dominate a game
Thanks given by:
It looks as if Danault will once again man the Top Line:
Pac - Dan - Rad
Lehk - Chuck - Gally

Will MT keep the Top 6 like this for the entire game?
Or, will he experiment being the game before the break?

At least the presence of Gallagher gives the Habs several options that did not exist while he was out.

I believe MB will be more inclined to find a left winger in the coming weeks....
Maybe slide Danault back to the 2nd Line, and Lehkonen back a rung to the 3rd.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov
????????? - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Shaw
Byron - Mitchell- Flynn
(Desharnais - McCarron - Andrighetto)
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-12, 12:16 AM)mada7 Wrote:
(2017-02-11, 10:58 PM)Scriptor Wrote: Mediocre 2nd line is your interpretation. I look at it as a 1A, 1B scenario, with two above average top lines and, probably one of the top 3rd lines that can play two-way hockey with secondary scoring... A fourth line that can come across as a checking line and not just an energy line.

50 points in a season is not a first liner and definitely not an above average first liner. If your first line centre finishes the year around 50 points that is an awful first line and only a pretty good second liner. The scenario you described would be great but we don't have the personnel to run that system and short of tanking several years when a truly top tier player is available at first overall. Basically only the penguins and maybe a fully healthy lightning or oilers have the personnel to run such a system right now. If a bunch of trades are done to get us 2 first lines worth of talent sure but right now that is not what we have even with a healthy gallagher

Right now we have the personnel for 1 very good first line, an average to above average second line. Spreading it out is only going to make the top line worse and the second line at best marginally better and the proof is that we are doing this right now and we have been shut out twice in the past 4 games including against one of the worst teams in the league with our only win needing overtime against another of the worst teams in the league.

50 pts is a top 2nd line C. Last summer I went thru the nhl stays for the season that had ended.. And was shocked at how many pts the top 2 C on most teams score. Its not high. I know we think Crosby, malkin, Tavares, Bergeron...but really there are 30 teams and therefore 60 top 2 C in the league. Look at the pts of the top 60 C last year. U will be shocked how low the majority are. Top 10 awesome, after that...ouch. 50 pts is real good.
Thanks given by:
Patches/Duchense/Rad
Chuck/Dan/Gally

That's my wish. Dan needs an offensive stud on his line. Chuck won't play with rad's intensity but he can play with rad's offensive talent.

This line up gives us:
A #1 C
2-30 plus goal scorers, one on each line
Danault as #2
Energy player on each line

All we need is Duchense! If only!
Thanks given by:
Sakic is taking in the Habs game tonight.
Thanks given by:
Would you settle for:
Pac - Chuck - Rad
Landeskog - Danault - Gallagher
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-12, 05:03 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: Patches/Duchense/Rad
Chuck/Dan/Gally

That's my wish. Dan needs an offensive stud on his line. Chuck won't play with rad's intensity but he can play with rad's offensive talent.

This line up gives us:
A #1 C
Danault as #2

Galchenyuk should be playing centre but otherwise yes. As nice as a revelation as Danault has been this year he is not as good a centre as Galchenyuk. Have him take faceoffs sure but once the play starts it should be Galchenyuk in the middle.
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-12, 05:43 PM)mada7 Wrote:
(2017-02-12, 05:03 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: Patches/Duchense/Rad
Chuck/Dan/Gally

This line up gives us:
A #1 C
Danault as #2

Galchenyuk should be playing centre but otherwise yes. As nice as a revelation as Danault has been this year he is not as good a centre as Galchenyuk. Have him take faceoffs sure but once the play starts it should be Galchenyuk in the middle.

Should be Chuck at C in the O-zone and Dan at C in the D-zone. Chuck can't get his defensive assignments right in his own zone. Can't figure out why because D is something you can learn, if you put your mind to it...
Thanks given by: