Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prospects Thread 2016-17
I was looking over the rosters of the NHL teams today that drafted top 10 in the 2016 NHL Draft. Six out of top ten draft picks are starting the season on their NHL teams: 

1- Matthews
2- Laine
3- Dubois
4- Puljujarvi
6- Tkachuk
9- Segachev

The other: 2 were already committed to their NCAA clubs (Keller, Jost). The others are Nylander (AHL) and Juolevi (OHL). #11, Logan Brown, is also in the OHL and absolutely tearing it up to start the season.

Like I said all throughout last year (in the 2016 draft threads), it was a strong draft year. I'm very confident in Juolevi's core skills as a d-man and once he puts on 15-20 pounds, I think he'll be a top pairing d-man or minimum top 4. However, if he busts, this would be a huge slap in the face to all Canucks fans. So, all eyes will be on Juolevi in the World Juniors and the OHL to see how he handles carrying his teams without the likes of Laine, Puljujarvi, Marner, Tkachuk and Dvorak surrounding him.

As for other prospects, the obvious one is Brock Boeser and I sincerly don't think many are too concerned about him. He probably has what it takes to play in the NHL this year, but Boeser is giving himself time, as are the Canucks.

The Canucks 3rd round pick, William Lockwood, started his NCAA career at Michigan state with 1 goal and 1 assists in his first 2 games.

Brett McKenzie is the leading scorer with the North Bay Battalion. He was the kind of pick that I'm sure Harrison likes (skill guy with potential to get better who many teams glossed over).

Tate Olson is the #1 d-man on the Prince George Cougars, which is a top ten ranked team in the CHL.

The AHL, there is Demko, Stecher, Subban, Zelewski, Cassels, Pedan and the usual cast.

However, all eyes will likely be on Juolevi this year.
Thanks given by:
Juolevi will develop into a top 4 defenseman (or more), I'm more confident of that after the Canucks did the right thing and sent him back down to juniors.

Canucks fans, just brace yourself for ignorant writers/media to proclaim Juolevi a bust because his draft peers are already in the NHL contributing (especially if Tkachuk have a decent to good rookie season).

Just ignore the noise and have the proper expectation that he'll probably take 2-3 years to develop and there's nothing wrong with that.
Thanks given by: binder
(2016-10-13, 12:22 AM)Canucksfansince1989 Wrote: I was looking over the rosters of the NHL teams today that drafted top 10 in the 2016 NHL Draft. Six out of top ten draft picks are starting the season on their NHL teams: 

1- Matthews
2- Laine
3- Dubois
4- Puljujarvi
6- Tkachuk
9- Segachev

The other: 2 were already committed to their NCAA clubs (Keller, Jost). The others are Nylander (AHL) and Juolevi (OHL). #11, Logan Brown, is also in the OHL and absolutely tearing it up to start the season.

Like I said all throughout last year (in the 2016 draft threads), it was a strong draft year. I'm very confident in Juolevi's core skills as a d-man and once he puts on 15-20 pounds, I think he'll be a top pairing d-man or minimum top 4. However, if he busts, this would be a huge slap in the face to all Canucks fans. So, all eyes will be on Juolevi in the World Juniors and the OHL to see how he handles carrying his teams without the likes of Laine, Puljujarvi, Marner, Tkachuk and Dvorak surrounding him.

As for other prospects, the obvious one is Brock Boeser and I sincerly don't think many are too concerned about him. He probably has what it takes to play in the NHL this year, but Boeser is giving himself time, as are the Canucks.

The Canucks 3rd round pick, William Lockwood, started his NCAA career at Michigan state with 1 goal and 1 assists in his first 2 games.

Brett McKenzie is the leading scorer with the North Bay Battalion. He was the kind of pick that I'm sure Harrison likes (skill guy with potential to get better who many teams glossed over).

Tate Olson is the #1 d-man on the Prince George Cougars, which is a top ten ranked team in the CHL.

The AHL, there is Demko, Stecher, Subban, Zelewski, Cassels, Pedan and the usual cast.

However, all eyes will likely be on Juolevi this year.

Dubois has now been sent to the Juniors. Tkachuk is expected to get 9 games then be sent down.
How to start an argument on the internet: 1) Post something. 2) Wait.
Thanks given by:
Matthew is obviously staying up... and so is Laine, it would seem... both are obviously physically ready and both have ridiculous skill sets....

As for the most of the rest... if they haven't been sent down already, they probably will be or should be... and then there's the Oilers...

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
Everytime I've seen Matthew Tkachuk, I have to admit. I've been impressed. He looks faster this year and he isn't intimidated whatsoever by the NHL. I think he's going to make it a tough call in Calgary.

Puljujarvi scored a really really flimsy goal against Calgary last night. Elliot was pretty awful in the Flames net for his opener. Despite making a couple of good saves, he let in some really really bad goals (and no question Puljujarvi's was the worst).

I really wanted to watch the Columbus pre-season games to see what we missed out on, but didn't. Consequentially, I have no idea about Dubois or most of the others.
Thanks given by:
(2016-10-13, 05:57 AM)Harrison219 Wrote: Juolevi will develop into a top 4 defenseman (or more), I'm more confident of that after the Canucks did the right thing and sent him back down to juniors.

Canucks fans, just brace yourself for ignorant writers/media to proclaim Juolevi a bust because his draft peers are already in the NHL contributing (especially if Tkachuk have a decent to good rookie season).

Just ignore the noise and have the proper expectation that he'll probably take 2-3 years to develop and there's nothing wrong with that.

I agree and if demeanor and skating so far are any indication he reminds me of Lidstrom who arrived in the NHL at age 22.     He was picked 53 overall which is not shabby for a D-man.      Time will tell but no question Juolevi would have been an "Oiler like mistake to bring in now"
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Thanks given by: Canucksfansince1989
Yes, bringing in Juolevi would've definitely been a mistake. I'm okay with waiting, especially since the left side is filled out nicely for the next few years with Edler-Hutton-Tryamkin (or whoever else emerges).

I think Harrison understood my point, but, yes, all eyes will unfortunately be on Juolevi if Tkachuk sticks and lights it up (or Sergachev gets a full season in Montreal).
Thanks given by:
Far from a sexy pick but a much needed pick all the wise.

Lets just hope the kid pans out.
Thanks given by:
Jordan Subban starts AHL season off with 2 goals and 2 assists in first 2 GP.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I was just checking up on another Canucks prospect. Adam Gaudette has two goals, five points in his first four games played for Northeastern University.

Thanks given by:
Boeser with the hat trick tonight to single-handedly bring UND back from a 2-0 deficit to win 3-2:

Thanks given by:
Get Boeser in the Shootouts asap!
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Thanks given by:
(2016-10-22, 08:34 AM)shoes Wrote: Get Boeser in the Shootouts asap!

Aahh yeah, but is he responsible defensively?
Thanks given by:
Hobey Boeser.

What a night for the Canucks' NCAA prospects. 3 goals from Boeser, 1 goal and 2 assists from Lockwood and Gaudette.

Thanks given by:
(2016-10-22, 10:05 AM)Marsh Wrote:

Yes. Is described as one of the hardest-working players on his team.

Thanks given by:
(2016-10-22, 01:18 PM)Canucksfansince1989 Wrote:
(2016-10-22, 10:05 AM)Marsh Wrote:

Yes. Is described as one of the hardest-working players on his team.

Nooo. I'm sure "something" is wrong with him. He's a Canuck. Guys? Guys?  Silly
Thanks given by: Canucksfansince1989
So Boeser with another 2 goal game. 5 goals the last 2 days. 12 points(6-6-12) in 5 games this season.

Our NCAA prospects are really lighting it up.

Gaudette, 6 GP 9 PTS (sophomore)
Lockwood 5 GP 6 PTS (freshman)
Boeser (see above)

Also, Brisebois is at 8 PTS in the Q in 9 GP (3 goals).

Mission accomplished on rebuilding this franchise is lackluster pool of prospect talent. I think I think Benning deserves a huge kudos for this.

Thanks given by:
(2016-10-23, 02:54 PM)Canucksfansince1989 Wrote: Our NCAA prospects are really lighting it up.

Gaudette, 6 GP 9 PTS (sophomore)
Lockwood 5 GP 6 PTS (freshman)
Boeser (see above)

Also, Brisebois is at 8 PTS in the Q in 9 GP (3 goals).

Mission accomplished on rebuilding this franchise is lackluster pool of prospect talent. I think I think Benning deserves a huge kudos for this.

Olli Juolevi 6gp 5pts
Brett McKenzie 11gp 13pts
Dmitry Zhukenov 7gp 7pts
Carl Neill 10gp 11pts
Tate Olson 12gp 8pts
Ludwig Blomstrand 11gp 8pts (not sure if he is still under contract).
Jordan Subban 3gp 4pts
Curtis Valk 3GP 2pts (was injured most of last season)
Troy Stecher 4gp 1pt
Jakob Stukel 6GP 4 pts

just some of the guys i'm following
Thanks given by:
If you really want to be impressed by Adam Gaudette and William Lockwood, just look at their stats and compare it to those first-rounders who were picked from the USHL and NCAA the year they were drafted.

Lockwood is actually pegged to be more of a third or fourth line banger, a Matt Cooke type of player (without the intentional blind-side hits to the head).

Max Jones and Clifford Pu are tearing it up in the OHL. Isn't it interesting that every 1st line that plays with Juolevi dominates?

Thanks given by: