Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prospects Thread 2016-17
Highlights of Utica 3-2 win over Toronto Dec 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIznguvZsTA

Virtanen two goals.
How to start an argument on the internet: 1) Post something. 2) Wait.
Thanks given by: C_Squared , Highstyx
Brett McKenzie highlights DEc 8 game #12
[url= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xbthhEz...xbthhEz-c8 [/url]

Adam Gaudette Highlights Nov 25 game  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Neq6sl-MhRU

Brock Boeser vs Bemedji State Oct 21-22   #16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=repoz77G3Fk

William Lockwood Shift by Shift Oct 22 #10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLk-A8HseZA

Olli Juolevi Highlights Nov 6 #4   along with Candella #20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCWLMMI29l0
Thanks given by:
I know he's not a prospect ( or is he? ) but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this.

Anton Rodin to the Comets for a two-week conditioning assignment. Rodin did look good when we saw him in preseason, so if his knee is now properly healed, he could still be a nice Christmas present for the Canucks' anemic offense when he's ready to join the team.

NEWS 1130 Sports

@NEWS1130Sports

Utica gm Pat Conacher says Anton Rodin looked good in his 1st practise, "his skating stands out." #Canucks
10:10 AM - 12 Dec 2016
Thanks given by:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news:

USA F Boeser to miss WJC

[Image: brock-boeser.jpg]

The United States will be without one of their better forward for the world junior hockey championship as it was announced winger Brock Boeser will miss the tournament due to wrist surgery. 

There are no plans as of yet to replace the 19-year-old on the roster.

Boeser, a 2015 first round pick of the Vancouver Canucks, has seven goals and nine assists over 13 games with the University of North Dakota this season.  

The Americans opening game is on Boxing Day against Latvia in Toronto.
Thanks given by:
There'll be no Guillaume Brisebois at the World Juniors either:
Thanks given by:
Well screw the WJC.... hahaha... I seem to recall things going pretty badly for the last Canuck prospect that played in one of those...

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
Juolevi named team captain of Finland for the WJC.
Thanks given by:
Top 10 Canuck prospects.

1. Olli Juolevi, D (14)
2. Brock Boeser, RW (40)c
3. Thatcher Demko, G (G6)

4. Troy Stecher
5. Nikita Tryamkin
6. Jake Virtanen
7. Guillaume Brisebois, D
8. Adam Gaudette
9.  Will Lockwood
10. Brendan Gaunce

Maybes(hope>results)

Andrey Pedan
Jordan Subban

Busts
Cole Cassels
Alex Grenier
Carcone
LaPlante
Sautner
Thanks given by:
January 2

Nicklas Jensen has been called up by the New York Rangers.
Jensen has 14 goals and 24 points in 29 AHL games this season. He's also appeared in four games with the Rangers, though he doesn't have a point in those games.

Frank Corrado has been sent to AHL Toronto for a conditioning stint.
Corrado has just played in one game for the Toronto Maple Leafs all season. This conditioning stint will help him shake off some of the rust.

Nick Ritchie has been sent down to AHL San Diego on Sunday. (wow-oh wait he's back up after 1 day)
The 21-year-old winger has posted eight goals and 13 points in 123 hits so far this season over 36 games. He's yet to play in the minors this season. Through 69 career NHL games he has 10 goals and 17 points with 55 PIMs and 216 hits.

Alexander Burmistrov claimed off waivers from the Winnipeg Jets.(never got to the Canucks' pick)
Burmistrov was taken with the eighth overall pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, but he hasn't developed as the Jets hoped. He has just two assists in 23 games this season and 81 points in 298 career contests.
Thanks given by:
December prospects report
An in-depth look at Vancouver's prospect depth
by Tyson Giuriato @TysonGiuriato / Canucks freelance writer
 January 3rd, 2017

[Image: cut.jpg]
Carl Neill and Rodrigo Abols shined bright in the QMJHL during the month of December, while Adam Gaudette closed out 2016 with a bang.
…The Utica Comets went 3-4-5 during the month of December and are currently in 13th place in the AHL's Eastern Conference with a 10-15-6 record.
Thatcher Demko appeared in nine of the Comets' 12 games last month, going 3-4-2 with a 3.18 goals-against average and an 88.5 save-percentage.
Alex Grenier leads the way for the Comets up front with 23 points (8-15-23) through 29 games, including nine points (2-7-9) in 12 games during December.
Jordan Subban sits fourth among AHL defencemen with eight goals on the season. Subban added six points (3-3-6) in 11 games during the month and is currently second in team scoring with 20 points (8-12-20) in 29 games. He also leads the team with 76 shots on the season.
…A four-goal in five-game stretch kicked-off the month for Jake Virtanen, who finished with five points (4-1-5) in 12 games.
Carl Neill leads all QMJHL defencemen with 46 points (10-36-46) through 36 games and also sits 10th amongst all skaters. Neill had 14 points (3-11-14) in 11 games during December. He has registered at least one point in 14 of his past 17 games. Neill was drafted in the fifth round, 144th overall, in 2015 and will need to sign his entry-level contract prior to June 1 or else he will re-enter the NHL Draft. (traded to Charlottetown Jan 5)
…The Prospect of the Month for December may be Rodrigo Abols. The 6-foot-5 forward netted 12 points (5-7-12) in seven games during the month. After a slow start, which saw him register only seven points (2-5-7) in his first 13 games with Acadie-Bathurst, Abols has exploded for 17 points (8-9-17) in his past nine games.
Brock Boeser has been out of action since November 19 as he recovers from wrist surgery. There is a chance he could return January 6 as North Dakota takes on Nebraska-Omaha.
…There are no signs of slowing down for Adam Gaudette, who finished off December with six points in just two games. He sits with 26 points (10-16-26) through 17 games this season at Northeastern, just four points shy of the 30 points he notched as a freshman last season, in 41 games.
Will Lockwood picked up three points in six games during the month of December, giving him 13 points (7-6-13) in 18 games with Michigan so far this season.
Jakob Stukel scored five times and assisted on three others in 12 games during December. He started 2017 red hot, notching five points (1-4-5) in two games to kick-off the New Year. Stukel is now up to 25 points (12-13-25) in 34 games with the Calgary Hitmen.
…It looks like defenceman Tate Olson has a chance to be playing meaningful hockey late into the season as his Prince George Cougars sit third overall in the WHL with a 27-10-2 record. Olson leads all PG blue-liners in points with 15 (3-12-15) through 37 games.
…It was a World Juniors to forget for Olli Juolevi and Finland. The defenceman posted just one assist as Finland went 1-3-0 in the preliminary round. Juolevi will now turn his attention back to the OHL's top team, the London Knights, which are poised to make another run at the Memorial Cup.
Lukas Jasek finished without a point in the tournament as the Czech Republic were ousted by Canada in the quarterfinals.
Brett McKenzie posted a strong December with seven points (5-2-7) in nine games. The 6-foot-1 forward is up to 39 points (18-21-39) through 35 games with North Bay this season.
What's on in January?
…For those with Shaw TV, you can watch Jakob Stukel and the Calgary Hitmen on January 6 against the Regina Pats.
…You can catch prospect Cole Candella and the Hamilton Bulldogs live on Sportsnet January 14 as they take on Ottawa.
Olli Juolevi and the London Knights will be featured on Sportsnet on January 28 when they take on Owen Sound.
Thanks given by:
and I was hearing that the 'cupboards were empty' lol.

Good to see Grenier going well, and I like that Gaudette.. Him and Boeser take the place of the twins.. 2 years

What's wrong with Demko? 88.5 % lousy, unless the slot area is unprotected.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-30, 04:42 PM)Marsh Wrote: Top 10 Canuck prospects.

1. Olli Juolevi, D (14)
2. Brock Boeser, RW (40)c
3. Thatcher Demko, G (G6)

4. Troy Stecher
5. Nikita Tryamkin
6. Jake Virtanen
7. Guillaume Brisebois, D
8. Adam Gaudette
9.  Will Lockwood
10. Brendan Gaunce

Maybes(hope>results)

Andrey Pedan
Jordan Subban

Busts
Cole Cassels
Alex Grenier
Carcone
LaPlante
Sautner

Grenier leads the Comets in scoring. Bust? He's learning to play forward. 6-4, and 225.. I am willing to wait on this guy
Thanks given by:
Well, some good news from our best prospect by far. Brock Boeser scored three goals and two assists over the weekend dor 5 points in his return back from his wrist injury. He is now back at his point-per-game pace from last season.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Well, it sure is starting to look like that Jake Virtanen's ceiling isn't Dustin Brown... not even Raffi Torres. But Jim Sandlak. He has been on another scoreless streak.

Not sure if he gets written off at this point, but what a disappointment. This kid's problem really appears to be his attitude at this point. With his raw skills, he should not putting up shit numbers like this in the AHL.

It sure sucks drafting sixth and watching guys like Ehlers and Nylander thriving. Even Nick Ritchie would look great on that Canucks third line right about now.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-15, 01:36 PM)Canucksfansince1989 Wrote: Well, it sure is starting to look like that Jake Virtanen's ceiling isn't Dustin Brown... not even Raffi Torres. But Jim Sandlak. He has been on another scoreless streak.

Not sure if he gets written off at this point, but what a disappointment. This kid's problem really appears to be his attitude at this point. With his raw skills, he should not putting up shit numbers like this in the AHL.

It sure sucks drafting sixth and watching guys like Ehlers and Nylander thriving. Even Nick Ritchie would look great on that Canucks third line right about now.

I'm not giving up on him yet but it's really discouraging. What I find more bothersome than the lack of points is the comments I read from Utica fans. He's a combination of bad and invisible. 

The odd thing is we've seen him take over games at the NHL level last year, the capability to be a dominant force in this league is there but for whatever reason they can't seem to get it out of him.
I’ll be polite... right up until I’m rude
- Ash Williams (2015)
Thanks given by:
Virtanen was just a bad pick to begin with. Even though his skillset was attractive, there were enough indications that he was a longshot to reach his full potential (his lack of hockey IQ/sense for one).

However, I thought he was a pretty safe bet to atleast contribute at a Raffi Torres level if he couldn't become a top 6 power forward. A certain poster here almost had a heart attack when he misread me calling Virtanen's ceiling as Raffi Torres when I meant floor. Oh, I think everyone wishes Virtanen can be as effective as Torres right about now.

Most appalling decision still has to the way they developed Jake. Virtanen making the team last season was one of the dumbest and Oilers-esque moves I've ever seen in my life. The kid couldn't even dominate juniors and had so many holes in his game, he definitely should've playing for the Hitmen last year and Utica this season to slowly build his game and confidence.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-15, 02:19 PM)Harrison219 Wrote: Virtanen was just a bad pick to begin with. Even though his skillset was attractive, there were enough indications that he was a longshot to reach his full potential (his lack of hockey IQ/sense for one).

However, I thought he was a pretty safe bet to atleast contribute at a Raffi Torres level if he couldn't become a top 6 power forward. A certain poster here almost had a heart attack when he misread me calling Virtanen's ceiling as Raffi Torres when I meant floor. Oh, I think everyone wishes Virtanen can be as effective as Torres right about now.

Most appalling decision still has to the way they developed Jake. Virtanen making the team last season was one of the dumbest and Oilers-esque moves I've ever seen in my life. The kid couldn't even dominate juniors and had so many holes in his game, he definitely should've playing for the Hitmen last year and Utica this season to slowly build his game and confidence.

You should probably mention that poster's name. Because if it was me, I sure don't remember, but I do remember the comment.
Thanks given by:
http://www.roughingafterthewhistle.com/T...en+ceiling

Posts 55 to 60...

And as you can see, I survived the "Heart Attack"... hahaha...

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
Okay. Yes, we all hit and miss. Virtanen wasn't my first choice. I recall liking Ritchie because of his size and toughness, but remember being pretty accepting of the pick. I was very excited for the pick after seeing Virtanen in his 1st World Jr's. The first time I realized he could possibly be a real bad bust was his 2nd World Jr's.

Ehlers was another pick I liked, but I worried about how much Drouin was contributing to his success (in retrospect, not very much) and hoping Dal Colle would fall to us, which would've been equally as bad.
Thanks given by:
All I can say is that we all better very much hope that Boeser turns out. If he busts, then we're for a long long road to the bottom once the Sedins retire.
Thanks given by: