Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raptors acquire Serge Ibaka
For Terrence Ross and a 2017 1st round pick.

Edit - It's the Clippers 1st round pick they got from Milwaukee in the Greivis Vasquez deal.

Thoughts?
Thanks given by:
Not an nba fan, just live in TO so like to see Raptors win

I have no idea who this guy is, but I will assume he is good.

My coworker says that he is and that he is also a UFA

So we gave up 2 future pieces for a rental. I know this isn't hockey, so no idea if this is the norm in NBA or not. Unfortunately Ross overpaid to be a bench player,even tho a good bench player. How we are close to cap limit while other teams have 3-4 superstars on their rosters, I don't know. but we have to shed some salary. Unfortunately it's Ross' salary that leaves.
Thanks given by:
Given where they are I think they have to go for it. Ibaka is the best chance at the third piece they need next to DeRozan and Lowry, and will further move JV as a 4th option. Sullinger was clearly not working out, and a late 1st round pick doesn't do much for the Raptors. Hopefully Powell can step into Ross's role, and then they can develop someone into the next Powell. Also from what I gather they can now exceed the cap to re-sign Ibaka over the summer and give him the best deal, hopefully someone spoke to him and tried to see if he wanted to stay.
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-14, 12:05 PM)Hobbes Wrote: Given where they are I think they have to go for it. Ibaka is the best chance at the third piece they need next to DeRozan and Lowry, and will further move JV as a 4th option. Sullinger was clearly not working out, and a late 1st round pick doesn't do much for the Raptors. Hopefully Powell can step into Ross's role, and then they can develop someone into the next Powell. Also from what I gather they can now exceed the cap to re-sign Ibaka over the summer and give him the best deal, hopefully someone spoke to him and tried to see if he wanted to stay.

From what I'm reading, Toronto was Ibaka's preferred destination among the teams they were weighing offers from.
Thanks given by:
Ibaka is a big upgrade defensively over Patterson, but he's not as good defensively as he used to be. Offensively, they are both pretty streaky scorers, but Ibaka can be relied on more in those late game clutch situations because his mid-range game is more consistent.

Overall, this trade is clearly a win for the Raptors. I'm surprised this was all Orlando could get, especially after they gave up so much to get Ibaka.
"Larry Bird isn't white, he's clear" - Bill Murray
Thanks given by:
They (Orlando) gave up a ton to get him, and T-Ross and a late 1st rounder (which, for any non-NBA fans, late 1st rounders are worth about what a 3rd round pick is worth in NHL draft terms) is not a big return. Early reports are that Ibaka wants to sign in Toronto long-term, which would be awesome. He's a legit 4, which is a piece the Raps having been missing since....always (Bosh).

Orlando bought high and sold low. Double kick in the balls for their fanbase.

I remember hearing (when the Raps were rumoured to be interested before Orlando got him) that the ask for Ibaka was CoJo, Patterson, Powell and the 9th OA (the pick we used on Poeltl).
Thanks given by:
To add in all the extended parts of this trade:

We traded Greivis Vasquez to the Bucks for the 46th pick in 2015 (Norman Powell) and the lottery protected 2017 Clips 1st round pick we packaged with Ross to get Ibaka.

So essentially: (Vasquez + Ross)------becomes------->(Powell + Ibaka)

That's crazy.
Thanks given by:
Raptors needed a bit of a shakeup considering they've slumped badly in recent weeks.
Thanks given by:
Ross has been hit or miss.Its good to see some changes though
"Not sure if I need a stiff drink to understand Shawn's threads...or a stiffer drink to recover from reading them"
Ulu
Thanks given by:
Raps also traded for Tucker who the Raps originally drafted a few yrs back.

Does this guy have the Jack Nicolson mean face as well (Hence Darcy Tucker former Leaf) :P
Thanks given by:
The Raps 5 of:

JV
Ibaka
Carroll
Derozan
Lowry

and bench of:

Bebe/Poeltl
Patterson/Siakam
Tucker
Powell
Joseph

...is pretty damn solid.

Might be the most talented/deep Raptors squad assembled in franchise history.

They just need to put it together, and considering the Celtics sat on their hands at deadline day, they really ought to be able to get back to the ECF again. Still can't see them beating Cleveland, but this team has a much better shot at it than last year's, IMO.
Thanks given by: LordFerg13
I may just watch the Raps this year in the playoffs. Been years since I really watched B-Ball. Carter got me started again but with his antics. Turned me off. I've lost so much touch on who the players are. So I'll just sit back and read what you guys say Happy
Thanks given by: