Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rogers + Shapiro +Atkins may have misjudged
(2016-12-18, 11:49 AM)Andrew Wrote:
(2016-12-17, 06:40 PM)lewis94 Wrote:
(2016-12-11, 06:17 PM)Andrew Wrote: Man, Jays fans are just the worst.

How dare people be concerned after losing two sluggers and their team only making one signing of importance so far... lol. 

If the were truly concerned then they would bother to learn about the team (and the league) and not make ridiculous statements like this in the first place.

This thread is the same "Rogers is cheap! Rogers is screwing the fans!" bullshit that Jay's fans have cried about for 10 years. Any objective person though can see that it is not even close to reality which just makes threads like this seem like spoiled, clueless whining.

Andrew I happen agree with your comment for "Some Blue Jay fans" the some thing that can be said about some Red Sox fans. But here in NB we call those you reference band wagon fans. You see a lot of the same from some Leaf fans. The reason IMO, is the biased Torontomedia giants like SN and TSN! Just an opinion from NB, Andrew! Cheers!
Tomorrow Is Going To Be A Great Day!!
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-17, 10:02 PM)lewis94 Wrote: I think it's a stretch to say Travis and Pillar have peaked. Even Donaldson certainly isn't a guy I'd say is on the downside of his career.

At this point Edwin can probably be had on a two-year deal... virtually no risk in that.

Peaked doesn't necessarily mean they'll start getting worse - just that it's tough to imagine them getting any better. And for the Jays to contend in 2017 it feels like they'll need a few players to step up and do just that. I'm just not sure who that's going to be.

Travis: .300 hitter, maybe has 15 HR in him over a full season. He might be able to improve defensively I guess so there's room there. But at the plate I'm not seeing a budding star player that some are.

Pillar: Pretty much impossible for his defense to get better; line drive hitter, very little power projection; career walk rate in minor leagues suggests he will never be a high on base guy. If an injury saps him of any defensive value he quickly becomes less helpful to the team.

Donaldson: How do you get better than an MVP season? I also can't be the only one surprised that he's played 155 games or more the last 4 years at a demanding position. Health issues can creep up on quickly on guys in their 30s.
Thanks given by:
Travis has played 163 games for his entire career so far, with 19 HR. I think 20 HR is very possible, though health is an obvious issue.

He has a very good bat, the problem is that he doesn't walk enough. Just 38 for his career. Even Smoak had 40 last year.

This is something that could improve, I'm just not sure if his plate discipline will increase dramatically in the next few years.

Right now the Jays have enough holes that it's hard to see them contending. They'll need players to at least maintain what they did last year, more excellent luck on the injury front and some surprise contributors.
Thanks given by:
Travis only needs to stay healthy and he'll be a huge asset. I still believe they need a bona fide leadoff hitter.
Leadoff
Travis
Donaldson
Morales
Tulo
Martin
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-19, 02:30 PM)lillypad_33 Wrote: Travis only needs to stay healthy and he'll be a huge asset.  I still believe they need a bona fide leadoff hitter.
Leadoff
Travis
Donaldson
Morales
Tulo
Martin

Carrera
Travis
Donaldson
Morales
Tulo
Martin
Pearce
Pillar
Pompey

Is what it could be right now lol
Thanks given by:
The problem with hoping big on Travis is that we're expecting him to do something in the majors that he never really did in the minor leagues.

Across 5 minor league seasons he had a .157 ISO which does not scream power bat. His .167 ISO in the majors is mainly due to the unsustainable 16% HR/FB rate he posted in 62 games in 2015. So while 20 HR isn't out of the question, I'd expect him to be more of a doubles hitter.

His career minor league walk rate was 8.7%. That's about the league average rate for the majors so his current 5.7% MLB mark is probably what we can expect moving forward. Which means he'll need to run a high BABIP in order to maintain an OBP suitable for a leadoff man.
Thanks given by:
One last piece of information on Travis: As per Statcast, his average exit velocity on hits in 2016 was 87.3 MPH. For those not familiar with these new stats, that is not very good. It ranked him 202nd among 246 players with 200+ at bats in MLB.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_...l=#results

If you filter those results to look at exit velocity on balls hit in the air (everything except grounders), Travis stacked up just as poorly, ranked 284th out of 388 players (min. 50 hits in the air).

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_...l=#results

Exit velo isn't the be-all and end-all of power projection but when you're hitting the ball as hard as Cesar Hernandez and Omar Infante, that cannot be a good sign.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-14, 02:55 PM)tmleafer Wrote: I had season tickets (actually a "blue jays fan pass", which gave me every home game except the home opener + July 1st for $99 a season) with them for 4 seasons leading up to their 2015 playoff year. Then they made the playoffs once, and cancelled the fan pass program, and tried to sell me on "flex-packs" that cost 2-4X what I had been paying, except for only 12-20 games access instead of the 79 games access I'd previously had.

So they wanted me to pay 2-4X MORE $$ for ~75-85% fewer games. I understand supply/demand changed, but still, that's an absolute ridiculous increase.

As an employee of Rogers I too was able to get great deals on tickets for years (because Jays stunk for long time after WS wins)but as soon as we made the playoffs management changed the rules for us and basically said thanks for the years of support but now we have new rules..these silly flex packs that I have to purchase 3 or 4 of them to take my whole family and large chunks of seats we no longer can have..thats fine because all 162 games are on SN for free...
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-14, 03:11 PM)andreroy Wrote:
(2016-12-12, 10:33 PM)shadylane Wrote: And SNLeafaholic, I don't mean to criticize you specifically, but it irks me to see the sentiment amongst the fan base that support will come only when the team is good. That's the definition of a fair weather fan to me and unfortunately there are a hell of a lot of them in Toronto.

To be fair that's what you get with 22 years of no playoff appearances.

I'm not insulted on bit Shady..i have been a fan since 1977 and I'm pretty much correct on the FAN of the Jays...If people do not see significant spending to keep up with the Yankees and Red Sox then they will stay away and you are right that is the true definition of Fair weather fan but lets be honest(Andreroy's comment is bang on)..Toronto is still a huge hockey city and the Jays often take a back seat(not sure why with 40+years of futility.?) and now with the Raptors tending upwards the last three years people will expect more from Jays Management and I just see them dropping the ball this year.
Thanks given by:
You're probably right, but I will say, the Jays didn't spend much last off-season and ended up leading the league in attendance.
Thanks given by: