Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Roster updates
Sounds like Rodin was not in shape to play on Saturday.  Likely he dressed so that the Canucks could make up their 20-man roster (13 F, 5 D, 2 G).  Also, Pedan has been called up, but I would guess he is insurance in case Tanev cannot play tomorrow in Nashville.

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 04:29 PM)abdemarco Wrote: Sounds like Rodin was not in shape to play on Saturday.  Likely he dressed so that the Canucks could make up their 20-man roster (13 F, 5 D, 2 G).  Also, Pedan has been called up, but I would guess he is insurance in case Tanev cannot play tomorrow in Nashville.

Doesn't say much for Utica depth does it when Pedan is the only guy coming and going?

Virtanen, one assist in the last 7 games, although he did have 17 shots. But then he's playing on the third line with Carter Bancks who has 10 points this season and Wacey Hamilton who has 4. Three of Virtanen's four goals have been on the PP, in a cluster of games. WTF?

On that whole Comets roster, Virtanen, Labate, Pedan and Demko are the only players still considered prospects. Their second and third leading scorers are on AHL contracts and Subban seems stuck as a career AHLer despite being the only Comet to be selected for the 2017 AHL All-Star classic.
How to start an argument on the internet: 1) Post something. 2) Wait.
Thanks given by:
Let's remember that guys like Chaput and Megna would likely be down in Utica if Hansen and Dorsett weren't injured... and Stetcher was a huge surprise and was probably penciled in for a much longer stay in Utica prior to the season.

Prior to the season starting the Canucks likely figured on Tanev, Edler, Guddy, Hutton, Sbisa and Larsen... with Tryamkin and Biega as 7 and 8.

I guess we just have to think of it this way... Stetcher , Chaput , Megna and Pedan MIGHT have been up and down for shorter stints if A) the Canucks regulars had better luck with injuries and B) weren't better players than we expected ( eg Stetcher ).

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 07:27 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote: Let's remember that guys like Chaput and Megna would likely be down in Utica if Hansen and Dorsett weren't injured... and Stetcher was a huge surprise and was probably penciled in for a much longer stay in Utica prior to the season.  

Prior to the season starting the Canucks likely figured on Tanev, Edler, Guddy, Hutton, Sbisa and Larsen... with Tryamkin and Biega as 7 and 8.

I guess we just have to think of it this way... Stetcher , Chaput , Megna and Pedan MIGHT have been up and down for shorter stints if A) the Canucks regulars had better luck with injuries and B) weren't better players than we expected ( eg Stetcher ).

This is more or less correct.   We do not have great depth on the farm.   Partly a result of the stage the team is at combined with very crappy drafting for the most part and some poor decisions by management.       Boeser nor Juolevi are not on the farm but are certainly the 2 brightest lights along with Demko.    Both of them change the conversation considerably when speaking of prospects in the system.    Boeser gets better each day. 

As much as the tankers hate it.....there is no point in tanking, nor any guaranteed gain to be made.    The only gain will be making the playoffs while at the same time shedding Miller, maybe Hansen and Burrows at the deadline.        Not sure which D if any should be traded for picks......but if any I would say Edler.    He is far better than given credit for by many Nucks fans and GM's around the league know it.    If we did shed those players and still made the playoffs it would be a monumental upset to just about every mullet on the planet.  Grin

As to the tanking procedure, unless it happens thru injury and a depleted roster it cannot succeed because of the competition.      Simply too many really bad teams that do NOT try to win, either thru management or morale.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 07:27 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote: Let's remember that guys like Chaput and Megna would likely be down in Utica if Hansen and Dorsett weren't injured... and Stetcher was a huge surprise and was probably penciled in for a much longer stay in Utica prior to the season.  

Speaking strictly about Utica, quite a few guys are under performing and they have had their own injuries. I'd like to point out as well that we know there will be a wave of now juniors coming up next year.  It doesn't help that some good prospects are in US colleges. Chaput and Megna are decent tweeners so kudos for signing them. The Comets though, are a truly bad team this year. 
One thing I find interesting is that most teams are keeping 4 or 5 reserve list spots open this year, up from the usual 1 or 2,  perhaps expecting a flood of turnover opportunities toward the end of the season.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 12:10 PM)Marsh Wrote:

Speaking strictly about Utica, quite a few guys are under performing and they have had their own injuries. I'd like to point out as well that we know there will be a wave of now juniors coming up next year.  It doesn't help that some good prospects are in US colleges. Chaput and Megna are decent tweeners so kudos for signing them. The Comets though, are a truly bad team this year. 
One thing I find interesting is that most teams are keeping 4 or 5 reserve list spots open this year, up from the usual 1 or 2,  perhaps expecting a flood of turnover opportunities toward the end of the season.

Ya, it's been a tough go down on the farm this year...

Thanks given by:
With Jannik Hansen back and Ben Hutton coming back soon, looks like Gaunce has fallen victim to roster limits and waiver rules.  Will be interesting to see Hutton paired with Tryamkin.
Thanks given by:
Larsen can not be taken out of the lineup fast enough for my liking or for the liking of Shoes. I can't believe that Shoes has posted anything negative about the Canucks. Is he feeling ok? Wink
Thanks given by: Highstyx
(2017-02-06, 01:03 PM)abdemarco Wrote: With Jannik Hansen back and Ben Hutton coming back soon, looks like Gaunce has fallen victim to roster limits and waiver rules.  Will be interesting to see Hutton paired with Tryamkin.

That Gaunce. Analytics have him as a ~ 52% CF% and  pretty well the same at CF60 and CA60 and he does it all without scoring a single goal. I don't know how he does it but I don't think the goof knows he's allowed to score even if he is on the fourth line. Even Biega has a better points/60min. Also useless on face offs  25% in the OZ and 39% in the DZ. 

Maybe needs to play with a bit more passion and bite. Off to the repair shed in Utica. 

What happened to scoring in the NHL anyway? A 20 goal scorer is now considered a sniper. Boston once had EIGHT 20 goal scorers. What difference does smaller equipment make to goalies anyway. So everybody's gaa goes up .25 goals per game. For contracts it's all relative anyway.
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-07, 12:08 AM)Marsh Wrote:
(2017-02-06, 01:03 PM)abdemarco Wrote: With Jannik Hansen back and Ben Hutton coming back soon, looks like Gaunce has fallen victim to roster limits and waiver rules.  Will be interesting to see Hutton paired with Tryamkin.

That Gaunce. Analytics have him as a ~ 52% CF% and  pretty well the same at CF60 and CA60 and he does it all without scoring a single goal. I don't know how he does it but I don't think the goof knows he's allowed to score even if he is on the fourth line. Even Biega has a better points/60min. Also useless on face offs  25% in the OZ and 39% in the DZ. 

Maybe needs to play with a bit more passion and bite. Off to the repair shed in Utica. 

What happened to scoring in the NHL anyway? A 20 goal scorer is now considered a sniper. Boston once had EIGHT 20 goal scorers. What difference does smaller equipment make to goalies anyway. So everybody's gaa goes up .25 goals per game. For contracts it's all relative anyway.

Try 11... I only know that because Cherry's said so about 62 trillion times... Laugh

Thanks given by:
It's pretty hard to generate offense with the amount of TOI Gaunce has been getting, but his line has been scoring as much as they have been scored on, so Gaunce hasn't been a liability this season at all. Still, he need to generate more offense than he has on the 4th line so hopefully Utica will get him some confidence.

This also kind of shows that goals and points don't tell the whole story. While many of you have been excited about Granlund's breakout season, he has the team worst 2.90 GA60 among the forwards while he only has a 1.67 GF60. He really needs to learn how to play defense.
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-07, 09:13 PM)Harrison219 Wrote: It's pretty hard to generate offense with the amount of TOI Gaunce has been getting, but his line has been scoring as much as they have been scored on, so Gaunce hasn't been a liability this season at all. Still, he need to generate more offense than he has on the 4th line so hopefully Utica will get him some confidence.

This also kind of shows that goals and points don't tell the whole story. While many of you have been excited about Granlund's breakout season, he has the team worst 2.90 GA60 among the forwards while he only has a 1.67 GF60. He really needs to learn how to play defense.

Gaunce is a BUST.

Big Darren Archibald has 14 plus 15. Plays with a mean streak, will fight, and would take care of a thug like Cody Mcleod.. but Willie sticks with the stiffs. Grenier doing well, too. Meanwhile we stick with two guys who have 4 points n the season and the other, a no hit no backcheck Swede who has one goal in 22 games. but Archibald and Grenier aren't good enough to play here. SUXXX. I hate this team

Virtanen is a BUST. 7 points in 33 games in the I.  Maybe we lose him in the expansion draft, but I doubt there'd be any takers.
Fire Willie and hire a coach who rewards the hardest working guys. Be the first time in our history that has ever happened

Hansen rocks.. Him Bo and Burrows should be the top line

Rodin: Another soft, no hit, wimpy, pint sized player. He ought to fit in perfectly
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:

Yeah there's about 5-6 guys there I like. Demko isn't on that list, neither are Cassels and Virtanen. Draft tough guys who can play and work their arses off. You can't go wrong. Nick Ritchie went later than Jake. 6-4, 225. How's he doing lately?
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-07, 10:03 PM)Highstyx Wrote:
(2017-02-07, 09:13 PM)Harrison219 Wrote: It's pretty hard to generate offense with the amount of TOI Gaunce has been getting, but his line has been scoring as much as they have been scored on, so Gaunce hasn't been a liability this season at all. Still, he need to generate more offense than he has on the 4th line so hopefully Utica will get him some confidence.

Gaunce is a BUST.

Big Darren Archibald has 14 plus 15. Plays with a mean streak, will fight, and would take care of a thug like Cody Mcleod.. but Willie sticks with the stiffs. Grenier doing well, too. Meanwhile we stick with two guys who have 4 points n the season and the other, a no hit no backcheck Swede who has one goal in 22 games. but Archibald and Grenier aren't good enough to play here. SUXXX. I hate this team

Virtanen is a BUST. 7 points in 33 games in the I.  Maybe we lose him in the expansion draft, but I doubt there'd be any takers.
Fire Willie and hire a coach who rewards the hardest working guys. Be the first time in our history that has ever happened

Rodin: Another soft, no hit, wimpy, pint sized player. He ought to fit in perfectly

wow Highstyx so negative, maybe you should go outside a bit

/s
Thanks given by:
In case you hadn't heard:

http://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/anton-ro...=277568016
Rodin undergoes successful surgery
[Image: cut.jpg]
Canucks forward Anton Rodin underwent successful surgery today in Cleveland to repair his knee. A approximate timeline of 6 months is expected for recovery.

"After a period of rest, rehabilitation and follow up consults, our medical staff, Anton and Dr. Miniaci decided that surgery offered the most definitive means to address the health of his knee," said Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning. "This has been a difficult process for Anton but he is determined to make a complete recovery and has our full support."
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-07, 10:09 PM)Highstyx Wrote:

Yeah there's about 5-6 guys there I like. Demko isn't on that list, neither are Cassels and Virtanen. Draft tough guys who can play and work their arses off. You can't go wrong. Nick Ritchie went later than Jake. 6-4, 225. How's he doing lately?
Highstyx, even though we agree on team toughness I think it's unfair to generalize about guys like Rodin. We've hardly seen him play andhe was willing to risk playing on a suspect knee. That's not soft.  And he scores by going to the net. Remember Hakan Loob from the Flames?

Demko is following the progression of Schneider and that worked out pretty well. Can't see what makes you dislike him. Clarification?
Thanks given by:
With Baertschi out, Reid Boucher will play in Columbus.  Here are the lines from today's practice:
As a side note, I like Granlund with the Sedins. He seems to have the quickness needed to help offset the Sedins' lack of speed, and he appears intelligent enough to know where to go on the cycle.

Also, while Boucher will likely see limited ice time, putting him with Skille and Chaput could have interesting possibilities since Boucher is a shooter. Should be an interesting game tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-08, 02:18 AM)Harrison219 Wrote:
(2017-02-07, 10:03 PM)Highstyx Wrote:

Gaunce is a BUST.

wow Highstyx so negative, maybe you should go outside a bit

/s

I plead guilty Icon_twisted
Thanks given by:
(2017-02-08, 11:51 AM)Marsh Wrote:
(2017-02-07, 10:09 PM)Highstyx Wrote:

Highstyx, even though we agree on team toughness I think it's unfair to generalize about guys like Rodin. We've hardly seen him play andhe was willing to risk playing on a suspect knee. That's not soft.  And he scores by going to the net. Remember Hakan Loob from the Flames?

Demko is following the progression of Schneider and that worked out pretty well. Can't see what makes you dislike him. Clarification?

Well, I guess I was looking for a 92.5% from Demko in Utica.

To tell it like it is, I seriously don't know a lot about Rodin... and yes, I am in a negative mindset re: this team.

Hakan Loob had 50 plus 56 one year and was 25% on shooting pc't. That reflects a strong net presence. Not too shabby
Thanks given by: