Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salary Cap
Can someone explain the NBA cap at a high level to me? I keep hearing how the Raptors can't afford Biz next year because of a ~$7 million salary increase and DeRozan max contract, but how do other teams have 3 superstars plus a bunch of others with high salaries (Cleveland, OKC, Miami, Golden State, LA Clippers). Other than Lowry and I think JV, who are the Raptors paying a lot of money to?
Thanks given by:
I don't understand exactly how NBA salary cap works but some teams exceed the salary cap because of the Bird right.

In essence, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent.

Essentially, Biyombo doesn't have Bird right so Raptors cannot go above the salary cap to resign him (and why other teams are above the salary cap).
Thanks given by:
But can we re-sign him first and then go over to sign DeRozan? Or does it not work that way? I'm just looking at our roster vs. Miami, for example, and not seeing a ton of dead weight. Was also reading we might have to get rid of Ross for salary cap reasons?
Thanks given by:
(2016-05-27, 09:12 AM)Hobbes Wrote: But can we re-sign him first and then go over to sign DeRozan? Or does it not work that way? I'm just looking at our roster vs. Miami, for example, and not seeing a ton of dead weight. Was also reading we might have to get rid of Ross for salary cap reasons?

The NBA Salary Cap is so complex lol. DeRozan would qualify for Bird Rights, so I think the Raptors could re-sign Biyombo at whatever contract and then use Bird Rights on DeRozan. The problem is that Biyombo is in line to be paid $3 million next season when he will probably get $10 million+ on the open market. Are the Raptors going to want to spend that much money on Biyombo and then max out DeRozan, leaving them with their hands tied when it comes to adding free agents for the next 5+ years? From what I understand, that's basically what it boils down to. On top of that, they would surely go over the soft cap, which would put them in luxury tax territory, and I'm sure the Raptors must have an internal cap they are working with and I doubt it extends very far into luxury tax.
"Larry Bird isn't white, he's clear" - Bill Murray
Thanks given by:
Saw a news feed on my Score app that Biyombo might get $16+ million.

JV has his new contract kicking next season at $16~ million as well.
Thanks given by:
(2016-05-27, 02:45 PM)Harrison219 Wrote: Saw a news feed on my Score app that Biyombo might get $16+ million.

JV has his new contract kicking next season at $16~ million as well.

With the salary cap expected to sky rocket in the next 1-2 years it's pretty hard to tell what some of these guys will get. Look at someone like Amir Johnson, he signed a 2 year $24 million contract with Boston. Based off how Biyombo has played this post-season, he deserves much more than Amir. I'd say a similar comparable would be Tristan Thompson, who signed an $80 million deal last summer at just over $15 million/season. Tristan was also a RFA and Biyombo will be a UFA since he wasn't qualified by Charlotte, so his contract could be crazy high. I don't think 16-17 is out of reach for Bismack.
Thanks given by:
Definitely not out of reach, Kanter is making $17-18 million per season iirc.
Thanks given by:
It's pretty crazy what a good couple of months at the most crucial time of the season can do. While I think he would have opted out out of his current deal with or without his playoff success, he was still only looking at maybe 5-6 million a season on a short term deal I'm guessing. Now he's probably going to sign an $80 million contract, or somewhere around there.
Thanks given by:
I'm wondering if he could be the NBA Bryan Bickell. One clutch playoffs and small sample size being parlayed into a big contract. I definitely hope the Raptors don't take him over JV.
Thanks given by:
I don't see it. JV has the potential to be one of the elite C's in the NBA.
Thanks given by:
(2016-05-26, 09:39 PM)Hobbes Wrote: Can someone explain the NBA cap at a high level to me? I keep hearing how the Raptors can't afford Biz next year because of a ~$7 million salary increase and DeRozan max contract, but how do other teams have 3 superstars plus a bunch of others with high salaries (Cleveland, OKC, Miami, Golden State, LA Clippers). Other than Lowry and I think JV, who are the Raptors paying a lot of money to?

If I am correct then it goes like this..Teams like Miami,Cleveland and whomever else has three big superstars at high $$$ are well into the luxury tax..Toronto is 24th in league payroll and can very well afford anybody they want to bring in or keep long term..the issue is whether MLSE want to pay the luxury tax..and by no mean can they not afford to.they sell out every single game,sell tons of team branded merchandise and make good coin off of tv renvenues .if MLSE truly wants to make even more money than they will give Demar the max contract,they will keep Big Biz at a fair $$$ amount and trade for a stud power forward to put them right up there with the top teams in the league..

I fully trust Masaii to get us to the finals if the board gives him the ok to spend.
Thanks given by:
Biz officially turned down a 3 million dollar option for next year...and word is he can get 17-18 somewhere.

that won't be Toronto.
Thanks given by: