Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Diego Chargers to relocate to Los Angeles for next season
Adam Schefter just posted this on Twitter....looks like the announcement will take place on Thursday:

Thanks given by:
Just got an alert from TeamBleacher . Wow, LA goes from no team to 2 teams. I wonder where they will play out of.
Tomorrow Is Just Another Day!!
Thanks given by:
...and LA gets another kick at the can...

Rams, Raiders, Rams again, now Chargers...
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 10:04 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote: Just got an alert from TeamBleacher . Wow, LA goes from no team to 2 teams. I wonder where they will play out of.

For the time being, I'm guessing they will share the LA Memorial Coliseum with the Rams
Thanks given by:
This was 100% clear when San Diego voted down the stadium back in November. And everyone was saying they'd play in the Rams building and pay rent.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 10:29 PM)ckendall Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 10:04 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote: Just got an alert from TeamBleacher . Wow, LA goes from no team to 2 teams. I wonder where they will play out of.

For the time being, I'm guessing they will share the LA Memorial Coliseum with the Rams

Apparently not...

Just heard that for 2 years they will be playing at the stubhub center, where the Galaxy play...that holds only 30K.

So...imagine an NFL game being played at BMO.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl.../96479520/
Thanks given by:
huh.. well I stand corrected! Yeah 30k is puny with only 8 home dates. Prices are going to be outrageous
Thanks given by:
I think this is a great idea to play in a smaller venue for a short time. The prices for tickets will be sky high. It looks worse to draw 50,000 fans with so many empty seats left at the L.A. Coliseum. The higher ticket prices will more than make up the difference in gate revenue. It creates a tough ticket and a better atmosphere with a packed venue even if it is smaller. Every seat will be a pretty good one.

It's the TV that drives revenue in the NFL. The gate is just a bonus.
Thanks given by:
at least they won't have to worry about being blacked out.

does NFL still follow those blackout rules that they have to sell out to be seen locally?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 11:26 AM)Chris D Wrote: at least they won't have to worry about being blacked out.

does NFL still follow those blackout rules that they have to sell out to be seen locally?

Yes, they do still have the blackout rules.
Thanks given by:
A guy on FOX Boston claimed that the Chargers name would stay in San Diego, like when the Browns moved to Baltimore.

Maybe they can keep the lightning bolt: rename the team the LA Lightning? Silly
Thanks given by:
The Chargers name goes back to the L.A. Chargers who played 1 season in in L.A. This different from the NFL holding onto the "Browns" name in the move to Baltimore.

The NFL should have held on to the "Colts" name in the move to Indianapolis and the "Cardinals" name in the move to Arizona. They royally screwed up.

On that not it sucks that the Minneapolis Lakers name moved to L.A. with the Lakers name. A land of a thousand Lakes loses that name to an area where there is more ocean than Lake.

New Orleans Jazz becoming the Utah Jazz.

The Raiders on the other hand were aptly named as they did Raid city coffers in every city they moved to so that name is allowed to travel with the team.
Thanks given by:
I'm not a fan of football in any way, shape or form, but I do find this relocation interesting.

Wasn't LA without a franchise for quite a few years? It always struck me a strange since it's a massive market...but can they support two at this point?

Was there an alternative to LA they could've chosen?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 12:49 PM)topgun Wrote: The Chargers name goes back to the L.A. Chargers who played 1 season in in L.A. This different from the NFL holding onto the "Browns" name in the move to Baltimore.

The NFL should have held on to the "Colts" name in the move to Indianapolis and the "Cardinals" name in the move to Arizona. They royally screwed up.

On that not it sucks that the Minneapolis Lakers name moved to L.A. with the Lakers name. A land of a thousand Lakes loses that name to an area where there is more ocean than Lake.

New Orleans Jazz becoming the Utah Jazz.

The Raiders on the other hand were aptly named as they did Raid city coffers in every city they moved to so that name is allowed to travel with the team.

Grizzlies moving to Memphis...and keeping the Grizzly name

or the Houston Oilers moving to Tennessee and remaining the Oilers (for a year anyway)
Thanks given by:

Brutal.
Thanks given by:
Weird that Stub Hub was the second choice.
I could see why moving into the Coliseum would be a problem (legal entanglements with USC and the California Science Center in the lease arrangement). Anaheim Stadium is a crap stadium to play football, as the Rams can attest to.
But what's wrong with the Rose Bowl?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 06:27 PM)Cornholio Wrote: Weird that Stub Hub was the second choice.
I could see why moving into the Coliseum would be a problem (legal entanglements with USC and the California Science Center in the lease arrangement). Anaheim Stadium is a crap stadium to play football, as the Rams can attest to.
But what's wrong with the Rose Bowl?

Rose Bowl and the golf course next door is owned by the City of Pasedena. Getting in and out of that venue is a pain in the butt. It can take 2 to 3 hours. Parking is EXTREMELY limited they park cars ON the golf course on game days. Parking passes are like gold.

UCLA plays there and there is a flea market there on Sundays.
Thanks given by:
Have never liked the Chargers but I do feel bad for their fans in San Diego.

Philip Rivers doesn't strike me as an L.A. kinda guy.

And that logo?  WTF?  The Tampa Bay Lightning had a great tweet yesterday about it. 

Pretty lame.  The lightning bolt and powder blues are about the only things I liked about the team.
Thanks given by:
A light transit rail line runs right by the Rose Bowl. A one mile walk from the station, but there are shuttle buses apparently.
Light transit is a Godsend and will save the Ottawa Senators, so I'm told.
Why doesn't this solution work for the NFL in Pasadena? Silly

On further reading I'm beginning to appreciate the point made about the smaller stadium. Fan interest is lackluster, even for the Rams.
Thanks given by:
The location is 1000x more critical for the sens
Thanks given by: