Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single Game Alfie Tickets On Sale
(2017-01-05, 12:31 AM)Ryu65 Wrote: For every Kanata resident who'll stop buying season tickets "because it's too far", there's another resident in the city who at the moment isn't buying season tickets "because Kanata is too far". It'll balance itself out.

Having the arena downtown means it's now at a fair distance for everyone, people in Orleans no longer have to drive 20 km for exanple to get to the rink anymore.

No body will be driving. Driving is going to be a nightmare in that area. Parking will be more expensive than a ticket. You'll still find the odd people who will do it, a 1000 or 2000 max. Downtown cannot handle more traffic.
They will depend on public transit, which is cool. Do we have enough people in this city who take public transit and can afford to fill the arena.
I do not think so. I hope I'm wrong. 
Like I said, I could care less about the Sens in Kanata now. Take them.
Thanks given by:
There are basically zero issues with 25K plus at Lebreton during Blues fest...when I go I sometimes park, and other times take public transit.  Sure, the winter presents additional challenges,  but LRT will be in place long before that arena is finished.   I think your concerns aren't realistically be a big deal...possible bottleneck at Tunneys until phase 2 is complete, but seeing as the NCC is involved in the arena process, that may be completed before the arena opens anyways.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-04, 07:05 PM)andreroy Wrote: They stopped giving away tickets which is one reason why attendance is down over the years.

Back in the Bryden days they used to announce the number of paid attendance and the number of give away tickets during the game. The announcer would announce a sellout of 18,500 with 4,500 tickets given away. They made it out as a charitable thing the team was doing but people who were paying $100+ a ticket would be annoyed that they shelled out money for the game and their neighbor went free. Thats also a reason they severely cut back on the Sens Rush games as people were pissed that they shelled out big bucks early while the person sitting closer to the ice waited until last minute and got their tickets for $20-25.
Thanks given by:
The Sens are a big walk up crowd team but with a Kanata arena and languishing excitement over our budget team, the walk up crowd is minimum.

The arena downtown will make it much easier for people to walk to the game after work during the week. Businesses downtown (restaurants and pubs) will thrive as people come to get a quick bite to avoid the sky high food prices at the arena.

Downtown arena is basically only good news. There is no downside.
Thanks given by:
I think this "Ottawa is a walk up town" is a lame excuse. I can just as easily say Ottawa is a driving town, so an arena with no parking makes no sense.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I think he meant that ottawa is not the type to sell-out via season tickets and that there's a lot of gameday ticket purchases. And with that if the arena is downtown it makes gameday purchases that much easier to coordinate.
Thanks given by:
It will be great for playoffs, no doubt. But I think the difference will be negligible for early season. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) how many times I've offered free tickets to people on a Tuesday night and they say no thanks, even when they live in kanata.

Thanks given by:
Ya obviously walk up town means game day purchases, we're a walk up crowd now and have been for years - but quite literally people would be able to walk to the arena from downtown, whether they drove to work or took the bus.

It will be imminently easier (did I use that word right?) to go to weeknight games with a central arena.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-05, 11:58 AM)PaliSENS Wrote: It will be great for playoffs, no doubt. But I think the difference will be negligible for early season. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) how many times I've offered free tickets to people on a Tuesday night and they say no thanks, even when they live in kanata.

Even when you live in Kanata you still can't walk to the arena though. They literally have a police officer standing at the foot of the bridge over the Queensway to turn people back who even try it.

It's insane how inaccessible the arena is.
Thanks given by:
The Terry Fox overpass?
Thanks given by:
That's to prevent people from parking at the mall and walking over, at the request of the mall.
The excuses people make up for the kanata arena never ceases to amaze me...
The bus from Orleans to kanata takes about 10 minutes longer than it take to go from orleans to landsdowne on the bus.
I can't wait to hear the excuses the same people will make for the downtown arena.

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-05, 12:07 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: The Terry Fox overpass?
No, the one from Tanger to CTC, there is no sidewalk on that overpass, so it's actually quite unsafe to have people walking across it.

Thanks given by:
Huntmar.

Public transit is good for twenty and thirty-somethings, not so good with a family with a pair of tweens or younger.
I expect the 300 levels will be sold out in the new location, maybe not so much the lower bowl.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-05, 12:11 PM)PaliSENS Wrote: That's to prevent people from parking at the mall and walking over, at the request of the mall.
The excuses people make up for the kanata arena never ceases to amaze me...
The bus from Orleans to kanata takes about 10 minutes longer than it take to go from orleans to landsdowne on the bus.
I can't wait to hear the excuses the same people will make for the downtown arena.

Google maps says orleans to CTC is 45 minutes and orleans to lansdowne is 22 minutes driving.  And you can bet Orleans to Lebreton is a heck of a lot less than Orleans to CTC by bus.
Thanks given by:
It can take 15-20 minutes to get down bank street from the Queensway on the bus on RedBlacks game night.
Obviously Lebreton will be better as there is transit infrastructure in place already. just pointing out that those that say it's hard to get to CTC have probably never taken the bus there. My dad does it to 22 games a year and it's faster than driving and usually empty.

Thanks given by:
We've had this convo. I've taken many buses to CTC from downtown, and it sucks. I'm happy to hear your dad's experience is different. Lots of different experiences out there.

Btw, walking from the queensway to lansdowne only takes about 15 minutes. I do it all the time (about to do it again in a few minutes from now)
Thanks given by:
I know, and people walk faster than the bus going to the game at Landsdown. I'm not sure how the bus from downtown to CTC is any worse than the bus from any suburb to downtown. I take the bus to CTC park and ride 3-4 times a week. It's really not bad, dedicated lanes for 90% of the trip. If you don't like the bus it's gonna suck no matter where you are going.

Thanks given by:
I take the bus every day to work.. I don't mind the bus. But I always get a seat and I don't have obnoxious drunk people swearing at my daughter, and my ride to work is much shorter, etc.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. Pretty much everyone I know has a similar view to myself - which speaks volumes imo. Pretty much everyone who lives near kanata is not happy about the downtown arena and everyone else is.

And there's a reason all the cities are moving their stadiums downtown (minus football, which has far fewer home dates to worry about and a tailgate to accomodate).
Thanks given by:
I'm just curious how a downtown arena gets rid of drunk people swearing on public transit??

Thanks given by:
The thing with the downtown arena and Landsdowne is that there are entertainment options all around and multiple buses to take you to the location. What sucks about bussing to CTC is you hop on a 400 at specific times that take you directly to the arena and directly home at a specific time. Landsdowne and what might eventually be built will give people using transit or parking the option of going anytime before a game and sitting at restaurants or shopping and they can stay after games without being rushed to grab the last bus to tske them home.

One thing they should consider with the new arena is putting the box office outside so you don't have to wait to go through security in order to go to a window to buy game day tickets.
Thanks given by: