Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sportsnet: Leaf Thoughts From Elliotte Friedmans's 30 Thoughts
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-th...ade-talks/

Always like reading his "30 Thoughts report. so refreshing. Especially the Leafs getting 2 thoughts, lol!

21. When Auston Matthews wasn’t even on the ballot, my conspiratorial antennae shot up. Toronto protects its rookies, tries to shield them as much as possible. Many of my old notes were destroyed in a flood, but GM Lou Lamoriello once told a story that he didn’t like how Scott Gomez was affected by going to All-Star the year he won the Calder Trophy. In the end, common sense prevailed. Matthews seems very level-headed, the kind of player who’d appreciate being around the 100 greatest players in the dressing room with the likes of Crosby. It made too much sense not to happen. And, as one source warned, “Everyone said Lamoriello would never give rookie bonuses. Did Auston Matthews get his bonuses?” Answer: yes. See, Toronto makes everyone a softie.

22. Toronto, astonishingly just out of a playoff berth as we all woke up Tuesday, is trying to become the third team this century to go from 30th to the playoffs. The Islanders did it in 2001–02, acquiring Michael Peca and Alexei Yashin, improving by 44 points. Philadelphia did it in 2007–08, rebounding from a rare, disastrous, injury-plagued season, improving by 39 points. The 2014–15 Buffalo Sabres, 2005–06 St. Louis Blues and 2001–02 Atlanta Thrashers made 20-point improvements, but none reached the post-season.
Tomorrow Is Just Another Great Day !!
Thanks given by:
22 is quite shocking. I didn't realize so few teams have pulled that off over the years. One thing I found shocking in that report, though not leaf related, is that people are actually asking about trading for Rene Bourque. The guy is the human embodiement of the concept of inconsistent. The guy will have the briefest flashes of competence followed by huge stretches of useless. I cannot fathom how anyone would be willing to offer assets that might be useful for him
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 09:06 AM)mada7 Wrote: 22 is quite shocking. I didn't realize so few teams have pulled that off over the years. One thing I found shocking in that report, though not leaf related, is that people are actually asking about trading for Rene Bourque. The guy is the human embodiement of the concept of inconsistent. The guy will have the briefest flashes of competence followed by huge stretches of useless. I cannot fathom how anyone would be willing to offer assets that might be useful for him

Hey Mada...even more shocking that I didn't even think he was in the NHL anymore..! lol
I remember his stint with Montreal and it was underwhelming to be sure.!!
Thanks given by: