Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spurs v. Chelsea
(2017-01-04, 05:21 PM)Busby Wrote: I thought Moses was linked with Barcelona?!

This was bound to happen, really.  An excellent set of games played by Chelsea, but today they got beat in midfield and down the wings.  Pochettino did a great job of setting up the team to keep the wingbacks deep so Spurs only had to defend against three players (two and a half if we count Pedro's actual ability).  

Wanyama was MOTM for me, but Erikson was deadly all game.  A fun one to watch, though I don't think this does anything to Chelsea's title hopes. They get Liverpool and Arsenal back to back.  

If we beat Liverpool, then things will be more interesting.  It's really too bad Arsenal bottled it yesterday.  Might have made that game vs Chelsea more interesting.

All the top six match ups now take on extra significance. 5 points between 2nd and 6th. This is as tight as it has ever been. 

I saw some info on the 13 game run Chelsea went on.
Something like the average position of the teams they played was 13th.  So definitely the sweet spot in the calendar for them, but in all fairness they took 100% advantage and didn't drop any dumb points to weaker teams.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-05, 10:24 AM)Arsenal Wrote:
(2017-01-05, 09:33 AM)Busby Wrote: Really? You think your match vs. Bournemouth was down to reffing?  THEY had a man sent off for a very soft red man!

Good luck to you sir.
My suggestion that Oliver bottled the day is at least as valid as your assertion that the Arsenal bottled.

Do you think the 'soft red' was a make up call?

Perhaps.  My feeling though is that Arsenal gave away Bournemouth's three goals.  Granted Bournemouth were good value going forward, I think the penalty give away plus the Bellerin performance, plus the lack of any attacking desire in the first 60 minutes of the match is a proper bottling.  Look...It's Christmas, and the games are important.  It's been this way since forever.  You can't play poorly over Christmas and expect anything good to come of it on the back end.  Arsenal should be a point off second and all alone in third right now.  They sit fifth instead.  They had, IMO, the easiest of the top six teams in terms of fixtures, next to Man United.  Two of three at home.  The argument about two games in 48 hours doesn't fly with me.  ALL these teams have huge, expensive squads, and they should be able to cope.  

As for the card...it's a red.  I think it's a soft one given the other challenges that were made during the game, but not a make up call.  I think the problem for the refs is the players aren't respecting the game and their opponents.  Francis doesn't need to make that challenge at all. 

My point as it relates to the match and Arsenal, is that they had a lot go their way when they didn't really do anything to get it going their way (ie. they got a man sent off on the other team, the other team adjusted tactically BEFORE the sending off and it ultimately benefited Arsenal).
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-05, 12:08 PM)miltonred Wrote:
(2017-01-04, 05:21 PM)Busby Wrote: I thought Moses was linked with Barcelona?!

This was bound to happen, really.  An excellent set of games played by Chelsea, but today they got beat in midfield and down the wings.  Pochettino did a great job of setting up the team to keep the wingbacks deep so Spurs only had to defend against three players (two and a half if we count Pedro's actual ability).  

Wanyama was MOTM for me, but Erikson was deadly all game.  A fun one to watch, though I don't think this does anything to Chelsea's title hopes. They get Liverpool and Arsenal back to back.  

If we beat Liverpool, then things will be more interesting.  It's really too bad Arsenal bottled it yesterday.  Might have made that game vs Chelsea more interesting.

All the top six match ups now take on extra significance. 5 points between 2nd and 6th. This is as tight as it has ever been. 

I saw some info on the 13 game run Chelsea went on.
Something like the average position of the teams they played was 13th.  So definitely the sweet spot in the calendar for them, but in all fairness they took 100% advantage and didn't drop any dumb points to weaker teams.

Yeah I was going to mention this as well, but it's not really that important to the end point, since everyone plays everyone eventually.  They beat us, easily.  They also beat City.  City and Us were both in a strange spot, but no excuse really.  They really made hay while the sun was shining through October and that first november fixture.  14 GF 0A in four games.  In that same period United drew all the same fixtures except Chelsea. 

I think the timing of the games is interesting and in the early three months of the season, the games are less important so long as the gaps don't get wide.  United have a huge hole, but Liverpool are in a great spot given the six pointer coming up.  Plus they're done with the top six by March 18 when they play City.  If they can stay close to the top, you could see a real battle for the top...maybe it will be like the B-grade Title City won on goal difference?

United have to play Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal in the last six weeks of the season.  

Chelsea, Liverpool and City have the easiest final six weeks to the season, Spurs United and Arsenal the toughest.  I suspect things will be intense right up to the last week or two.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-05, 12:12 PM)Busby Wrote:
(2017-01-05, 09:33 AM)Busby Wrote: Really? You think your match vs. Bournemouth was down to reffing?  THEY had a man sent off for a very soft red man!

Good luck to you sir.
My suggestion that Oliver bottled the day is at least as valid as your assertion that the Arsenal bottled.

Perhaps.  My feeling though is that Arsenal gave away Bournemouth's three goals.  Granted Bournemouth were good value going forward, I think the penalty give away plus the Bellerin performance, plus the lack of any attacking desire in the first 60 minutes of the match is a proper bottling.  Look...It's Christmas, and the games are important.  It's been this way since forever.  You can't play poorly over Christmas and expect anything good to come of it on the back end.  Arsenal should be a point off second and all alone in third right now.  They sit fifth instead.  They had, IMO, the easiest of the top six teams in terms of fixtures, next to Man United.  Two of three at home.  The argument about two games in 48 hours doesn't fly with me.  ALL these teams have huge, expensive squads, and they should be able to cope.  

As for the card...it's a red.  I think it's a soft one given the other challenges that were made during the game, but not a make up call.  I think the problem for the refs is the players aren't respecting the game and their opponents.  Francis doesn't need to make that challenge at all. 

My point as it relates to the match and Arsenal, is that they had a lot go their way when they didn't really do anything to get it going their way (ie. they got a man sent off on the other team, the other team adjusted tactically BEFORE the sending off and it ultimately benefited Arsenal).
....and I believe the first two Bournemouth goals were gifts from Oliver.

I believe the red to Francis has just been upheld.
Courage, my word, it didn't come, it doesn't matter.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-05, 12:04 PM)miltonred Wrote:
(2017-01-04, 06:23 PM)Arsenal Wrote:
(2017-01-04, 04:57 PM)miltonred Wrote:
(2017-01-04, 04:48 PM)Arsenal Wrote: Does the name Harry Winks make anyone else giggle?

I once coached a kid called Harry Potts  (now say that in an English accent, and you get hairy pits).

But to answer your question, no, I haven't giggled since my gender re-assignment surgery.
What is the exact insinuation here?  Only girls, Arsenal fans and the gender confused giggle?

Its a cry for help!
I thought this was a safe place to share?  Grin
I prescribe several days of gawking on beaches in the Hawaii sunshine to help solidify your position.
Courage, my word, it didn't come, it doesn't matter.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-05, 12:42 PM)Arsenal Wrote:
(2017-01-05, 12:12 PM)Busby Wrote:

Good luck to you sir.

....and I believe the first two Bournemouth goals were gifts from Oliver.

I believe the red to Francis has just been upheld.

The penalty?! That's pretty stonewall dude.  Similar foul to the second goal on Bellerin.  The difference is Bellerin didn't have the ball.
Thanks given by:
Saw the result, but watched it anyways on the PVR. Thought Eriksson was brilliant. Ali is quality. But it's Spurs. Nice players but they are not a player in this thing.

Nice ending to a decent holiday run. My faith in Chelsea has softened which feels like a relief. Going to be one heck of a second half.
Thanks given by: