Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Score: Blue Jays are OUT On Encarnacion.
The Toronto Blue Jays appear to be moving on from Edwin Encarnacion.
After ongoing negotiations - which reportedly included a four-year, $80-million offer - between the Blue Jays and Encarnacion failed to reach a positive conclusion, a source close to the negotiations tells TSN baseball insiderSteve Phillips the Blue Jays are "out" on the 33-year-old Dominican.
Toronto inked Steve Pearce to a two-year contract on Monday, which Phillips said was done in order to form a platoon with Justin Smoak at first base, while Kendrys Morales - who signed a three-year deal with the Blue Jays last month - will slot in as the team's designated hitter.
Upon learning of the Pearce signing, Encarnacion told his agent Paul Kinzer "he's disappointed," Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reports.
Kinzer told Morosi the $80-million offer made to his client by the Blue Jays came during a "quiet period," and Encarnacion wasn't ready to decide before hearing from other clubs. Once Encarnacion rejected Toronto's offer, the Blue Jays moved on to Morales and Pearce quicker than they anticipated.
Encarnacion is reportedly seeking money in a similar range to the $110-million deal the New York Mets signedYoenis Cespedes to this offseason.
Encarnacion has drawn plenty of interest from clubs such as the Houston AstrosNew York YankeesBoston Red SoxTexas Rangers, and Cleveland Indians throughout the offseason thus far, although the Astros and Yankees signed Carlos Beltran and Matt Holliday this past weekend, respectively.
Encarnacion remains one of the top free agents on the open market after an impressive campaign, which included 42 home runs, 127 RBIs, and an .886 OPS.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1114560
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-05, 01:39 PM)Lumbergh Wrote: The Toronto Blue Jays appear to be moving on from Edwin Encarnacion.
After ongoing negotiations - which reportedly included a four-year, $80-million offer - between the Blue Jays and Encarnacion failed to reach a positive conclusion, a source close to the negotiations tells TSN baseball insiderSteve Phillips the Blue Jays are "out" on the 33-year-old Dominican.
Toronto inked Steve Pearce to a two-year contract on Monday, which Phillips said was done in order to form a platoon with Justin Smoak at first base, while Kendrys Morales - who signed a three-year deal with the Blue Jays last month - will slot in as the team's designated hitter.
Upon learning of the Pearce signing, Encarnacion told his agent Paul Kinzer "he's disappointed," Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reports.
Kinzer told Morosi the $80-million offer made to his client by the Blue Jays came during a "quiet period," and Encarnacion wasn't ready to decide before hearing from other clubs. Once Encarnacion rejected Toronto's offer, the Blue Jays moved on to Morales and Pearce quicker than they anticipated.
Encarnacion is reportedly seeking money in a similar range to the $110-million deal the New York Mets signedYoenis Cespedes to this offseason.
Encarnacion has drawn plenty of interest from clubs such as the Houston AstrosNew York YankeesBoston Red SoxTexas Rangers, and Cleveland Indians throughout the offseason thus far, although the Astros and Yankees signed Carlos Beltran and Matt Holliday this past weekend, respectively.
Encarnacion remains one of the top free agents on the open market after an impressive campaign, which included 42 home runs, 127 RBIs, and an .886 OPS.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1114560

I could  give two shits as to who is on this team as long as they play hard and compete and win like the last two years..if Eddie truly did want to comeback then he would have but he is listening to his agent trying to squeeze out  a couple more million per..its his choice and I wish him well if he does not comeback..i want this team to advance to the WS this year and a well balanced team will have a good chance..if the starters stay healthy again.
Thanks given by:
Likey losing 80-90 HRs and 200 RBIs with the departure of EE, Bautista, and Saunders.

Pearce and Morales do not fill that.

The search for balance will see a dramatically diminished offense as the middle of the lineup gets gutted.

But don't worry...Jays may be in on Fowler (they'll miss out on him too)
Thanks given by:
They're going to lose production from Donaldson who will be welded endlessly as well.
Of course they might just strikeout less and hit into less double plays as well.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-05, 04:14 PM)lillypad_33 Wrote: They're going to lose production from Donaldson who will be welded endlessly as well.
Of course they might just strikeout less and hit into less double plays as well.

You're probably correct on both counts.

They led baseball last year in double play ground outs with 153. The league average was 124 so that's bound to regress.

And I'd be ok with more of a contact hitting team that ran the bases better. If they want power there's plenty of it on the open market this year (and they've already gotten a bunch with the Pearce and Morales signings). The Jays can move forward without EE.
Thanks given by:
I think there is a possibility they bring Bautista back, they can't honestly want Smoak starting everyday against righties in a platoon at 1B. His career .720 OPS against righties is not going to cut it on a playoff team.

Bautista can play some OF at times, and play 1B to keep Smoak on the bench.

If they could sign Fowler, and bring Bautista back, I'd be pretty happy still, as much as I'd like EE back.
Thanks given by:
Oh I think Pearce will be seeing a lot more time than Smoak will this season. There's a pretty stark difference in their 3-year stats vs. RHP:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?po...=9957,9054

Pearce: .810 OPS, 125 wRC+
Smoak: .717 OPS, 97 wRC+

If Pearce stays healthy that could look like a fantastic signing by the Jays.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-05, 05:20 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: I think there is a possibility they bring Bautista back, they can't honestly want Smoak starting everyday against righties in a platoon at 1B. His career .720 OPS against righties is not going to cut it on a playoff team.

Bautista can play some OF at times, and play 1B to keep Smoak on the bench.

If they could sign Fowler, and bring Bautista back, I'd be pretty happy still, as much as I'd like EE back.

yeah for sure..Bautista on a decent contract could play first base..he has done it before..and if we snag fowler that will help too..
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-05, 05:48 PM)shadylane Wrote: Oh I think Pearce will be seeing a lot more time than Smoak will this season. There's a pretty stark difference in their 3-year stats vs. RHP:

I don't think there is any question that Pearce will get the lions share of the platoon. Smoak is not a good hitter and Pearce is actually a really good hitter when healthy.

Pearce is a sneaky good signing but it comes with the huge caveat of him being healthy. Which he never is.
Thanks given by:
On TSN tonight they say that Bautista might not be signed by anyone until after the draft! Honestly I have no idea why, but I believe they were/are getting bad advise from their agents! But SN said I don't care who they have as long as they give 100% each and every game!
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
Bautista will sign with someone before the draft lol. Maybe they were referring to the Rule 5 draft.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-05, 08:59 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: Bautista will sign with someone before the draft lol. Maybe they were referring to the Rule 5 draft.

That would seem more likely Happy
Thanks given by:
Sad
time fears the pyramids, the pyramids fear Betty White

Thanks given by:
The Jays seem to want to move on from Bautista, but even with his attitude he could be a good value signing.

If Encarnacion is only going to get 3 years, I doubt any team will go that long with Bautista. On a 2 year deal I could still see him producing at a relatively high level at the plate.
Thanks given by:
Not surprising, but a sad day nonetheless. Thanks for everything Edwin.
We live to survive our paradoxes
Thanks given by:
Stupid Agent. $80 million over 4 years is a pretty good offer.
Thanks given by:
Looks like the Red Sox got Moreland. Wonder if this puts the Jays back in play.
Thanks given by:
There is still a deal to be had if the Jays want it. They should want it. Acquiring Steve Pearce and Morales shouldn't be reason not to.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-07, 10:16 AM)andreroy Wrote: There is still a deal to be had if the Jays want it. They should want it. Acquiring Steve Pearce and Morales shouldn't be reason not to.

Sure they want it.  But not at Edwin's idiotic asking price and term.
Thanks given by:
Let's face it, they acquired Pearce to play mostly 1B. The fact that he can fill-in at LF is just a bonus if/when their yet-to-be-acquired starting LF gets hurt or needs a day off.

A rumour from this morning is that Edwin's not even receiving offers of 3/$60M at this time. I feel like he'll eventually sign for something around there though. The Jays would have to get creative but there might still be a way to fit him in if his market value remains around $20M per season on a 3 year term.

They wouldn't have added Pearce's salary however, AND Edwin at that rate to the roster. So, an offer as follows might make sense:

2017: $13.75M (the difference of $20M and Pearce's salary)
2018: $22M (we'll assume Pearce is traded mid-2017 season or in the '17-18 offseason)
2019: $17.25M
2020: $16M (team option with $5M buyout)

So Edwin's guaranteed $58M for 3 years if the Jays decline his 4th year option. If he's still hitting well at age 37, then they pick the option up at a rate likely to be in line with what he'd be worth as a free agent anyway. And EE gets the stability of remaining with the Jays for an additional year.

And in order for the 3/$58M guarantee to pay off for the Jays, EE will have to be worth somewhere around 2 wins per season. Which seems pretty achievable IMO.

The 2019 salary also accounts for the possibility that the Jays are not in contention. $17.25M isn't a prohibitive amount if he's still producing and they want to trade him.
Thanks given by: