Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things you won't make fun of
So when you are cracking on friends or others, what's off limits? 

From a very young age (ie. early 80s) I felt as though it was the definition of cruelty to mock someone with a disability, particularly Down's syndrome.  I've always felt sensitive to that.  

In a general sense, I won't poke fun or even mention anyone for a receding hairline or who's bald.  Low hanging fruit for me.  

Curious to see what's verboten for people.
Thanks given by:
mom jokes
Thanks given by: poppabyrd
When I'm with my wife and only her, absolutely nothing is off limits. I will mock her and myself as well, I try to say the most inappropriate things to get a reaction
We just try to ignore the elephant somehow
With my friends from high school, nothing is off limits.  Absolutely nothing.  

Mom jokes are the best!   There was always 1 guy who would flip out which is the dumbest thing you can do cuz than he gets it 10 fold!

My wife & I always poke fun at each other's countries, cultures, customs, etc.

Nothing is off limits really
(2017-01-08, 05:25 PM)poppabyrd Wrote: I felt as though it was the definition of cruelty to mock someone with a disability

This for me as well. I am particularly sensitive to mental health issues. I had a little sister with Down Syndrome who passed away in her early teens. Add to that I work in a Mental Health facility.
(2017-01-08, 05:41 PM)Limestoner Wrote:
(2017-01-08, 05:25 PM)poppabyrd Wrote: I felt as though it was the definition of cruelty to mock someone with a disability

This for me as well. I am particularly sensitive to mental health issues. I had a little sister with Down Syndrome who passed away in her early teens. Add to that I work in a Mental Health facility.

I had a run in with the 'R' word in University, in a computer lab and we were working on a video game and I wasn't getting the output I expected, so looking at my monitor I say "that's effing retarded". A girl behind where we were stood up and freaked on me, then stormed out of the lab, a few minutes later a Prof came in and glared at me, while I tried to explain myself. I went out and apologized to her in the hallway and was uncomfortable in the labs for awhile, it was near the end of 4th year so not sure if she got over it
We just try to ignore the elephant somehow
Disability, sexuality, pedophiles, and the Maple Leafs.
Thanks given by: poppabyrd , MisterZ
Something that particular friend is sensitive about. Dont make fun of the balding friends for balding, the overweight friends for weight, the single friends that wish they werent for being single, the ones struggling with work for their careers, etc.

Definitely notice when other people cross those lines. There's a difference between chirping your friends and just straight up putting them down to make yourself feel better.
(2017-01-08, 06:43 PM)tmleafer Wrote: Something that particular friend is sensitive about. Dont make fun of the balding friends for balding, the overweight friends for weight, the single friends that wish they werent for being single, the ones struggling with work for their careers, etc.

Definitely notice when other people cross those lines. There's a difference between chirping your friends and just straight up putting them down to make yourself feel better.

Political correctness gone crazy! Wink
I won't make fun of Pouzar because he's the perfect man.
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
I will never make fun of cfl for not being able to get laid.
Thanks given by:
I choose not to.
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
I used to make fun of myself...until I realized I was easily offended.
I don't mind getting old, I just don't wanna look old
Thanks given by: Lagavulin
Nothing is off limits.

Just know your audience and what you can and cannot get away with.
Thanks given by: CTS , CTS
(2017-01-08, 06:32 PM)miltonred Wrote: Disability, sexuality, pedophiles, and the  Maple Leafs.

This...except for the Leafs. We deserve to be mocked.
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:
Orangutan jokes seem to really offend a lot of people these days.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned"
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 06:43 PM)tmleafer Wrote: There's a difference between chirping your friends and just straight up putting them down to make yourself feel better.

So true.

Often it's not necessarily the words used, but what the end game of the 'chirper' is.

I like to think that I have pretty good internal detection meter for this.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 05:41 PM)Limestoner Wrote:

Growing up in Edmonton it was always great to see Joey Moss working with the Oilers and Eskimos.  There's a big mural of him along a major thoroughfare, and it always picks me up.

.png   Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 8.16.44 PM.png (Size: 462.43 KB / Downloads: 76)
Thanks given by: Wilson Green , Bong13
Read the room. Some of the darkest, most immoral jokes, may be okay depending on who the audience is. Play a game of cards against humanity...you'll quickly see what I mean Happy

That said...even alone, I am uncomfortable saying the N-word.
Thanks given by: Moe Szyslak
(2017-01-08, 10:42 PM)Chris D Wrote: Read the room.  Some of the darkest, most immoral jokes, may be okay depending on who the audience is.  Play a game of cards against humanity...you'll quickly see what I mean Happy

That said...even alone, I am uncomfortable saying the N-word.

So you are uncomfortable saying the N-word but are okay living in and paying to support a racist regime?

Oh to be white and able to afford such values.
"Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost!"
Thanks given by: