Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things you won't make fun of
Interesting responses, based on values that I have seen posters say they uphold or get angry at others for I would say there would be more off limits.

Disability is probably the only one off limits with me, would like to say race but that would be dishonest as i do laugh at the jokes when others tell them and I wouldn't tell them to stop.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 06:02 PM)WTTM Wrote: I had a run in with the 'R' word in University, in a computer lab and we were working on a video game and I wasn't getting the output I expected, so looking at my monitor I say "that's effing retarded". A girl behind where we were stood up and freaked on me, then stormed out of the lab, a few minutes later a Prof came in and glared at me, while I tried to explain myself. I went out and apologized to her in the hallway and was uncomfortable in the labs for awhile, it was near the end of 4th year so not sure if she got over it

She needs to learn to communicate her objection a lot better. I asked my boss to stop using the word "retarded" but I did it politely and in private and he had no problem with it.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 04:38 AM)beatcomber Wrote:
(2017-01-08, 10:42 PM)Chris D Wrote: Read the room.  Some of the darkest, most immoral jokes, may be okay depending on who the audience is.  Play a game of cards against humanity...you'll quickly see what I mean Happy

That said...even alone, I am uncomfortable saying the N-word.

So you are uncomfortable saying the N-word but are okay living in and paying to support a racist regime?

Oh to be white and able to afford such values.

Hmm...I assumed Chris lived in Canada.
Thanks given by:
If it's funny, it's funny. No subject matter is off limits.

How many didn't laugh during some non-PC scenes in RainMan?
"He's probably answering a question I asked ten minutes ago!!"
Thanks given by:
For me and my close friends nothing is off limits, and it seems the harsher the punch-line the more laughs/groans you get. With anyone else, basically the "common" off limit topics are not used.
Thanks given by:
Surely some stuff is off limits. If your friend's mother dies, will you make jokes about her death the next day? Wink
Thanks given by: Bong13
You can have a "nothing off-limits" policy while still recognizing that there's a time and place.
Thanks given by:
I try to avoid 'truth' jokes.

I rip on my friend who graduated Cornell, sat in with the WPG Symphony Orchestra as a 15 year old, walked on to Cornell's basketball team, and was probably the best soccer player I've ever played with in my life as a guy who "Seriously lacks in talent". So when it's so clearly NOT true, I'll bag on friends.
Thanks given by:
All depends on the crowd.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 10:36 AM)divit Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 04:38 AM)beatcomber Wrote:
(2017-01-08, 10:42 PM)Chris D Wrote: Read the room.  Some of the darkest, most immoral jokes, may be okay depending on who the audience is.  Play a game of cards against humanity...you'll quickly see what I mean Happy

That said...even alone, I am uncomfortable saying the N-word.

So you are uncomfortable saying the N-word but are okay living in and paying to support a racist regime?

Oh to be white and able to afford such values.

Hmm...I assumed Chris lived in Canada.

I indeed live in Canada

..and even if I did, I am no way saying I would tolerate and support such things.
Thanks given by:
To expand on what Moe said (I think)...

I have one friend who I can make fun of his height, weight, lack of hair, genitalia (we play hockey together...don't get any ideas RATW Happy ), wife, kids, parents...seemingly nothing is off limits when it comes to verbal jabbing back and forth.

I have other friends that I would say I'm equally close to in the sense that I've known them both for equal length of time (since HS), they were both in my wedding party, they know my immediate and extended family, I know theirs etc that I would never crack jokes with in the same manner. I have weekly hockey with some of my best friends and a weekly chess game with another.

I don't think I'm necessarily a different person with one group of friends as opposed to another, but there are definitely people I am good friends with who wouldn't necessarily be good friends with each other, if that makes sense. Vocabulary is different, interests are different, and with that, obviously the things we would/wouldn't make fun of each other for are different.

To sum it up another way...two of my best friends, for Christmas I gave:

Guy #1: 60oz of Rye and the stick I was using when I scored 7 goals on him in a beer league game (he said he wanted to burn it).

Guy #2: A marble chess board and a fantasy novel.
Thanks given by:
Of course, its all about knowing your audience.
Thanks given by:
Interesting. The question was "is anything off limits".
For those who say "know your audience" does that mean you would make jokes about disability, sexuality, race if you thought it was okay in front of certain people.
What is funny about Down Syndrome?
Would it make Trump a nicer person if he just did his disability mocking in front Billy Bush not wired up, that's okay? Talking about ***** grab to Billy is not trivializing sexual assault if there is no mic. on.
Thanks given by:
Doesnt mean the joke is any less immoral if its just between you and a buddy, or the mics arent on...just means there is no victim. Leave it up to your conscience if you accept it or not.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 11:51 AM)RyeRocks Wrote: Surely some stuff is off limits.  If your friend's mother dies, will you make jokes about her death the next day? Wink

Lol, yes outside of those obvious things.  Although one time in University at a party were were sitting around with a bunch of guys and I made a mom joke to another guy (we weren't friends cause he was like 5 years younger than me, but we got along like friends...if that makes any sense)....however, his mom had just gotten in a car accident a few months before and had brain damage and was in a wheel chair.  Easily the worst feeling I have ever felt after I realized what I did.  I apologized and luckily he was good about it, cause if it was me I would have punched me, lol.
Thanks given by: Bong13
The Kennedy brothers yukking it up while taking turns shagging Marilyn is OK.
Trump's locker room wisecracks with Billy Bush, NOT OK.
Obviously.
Thanks given by:
What a great equivalency
Thanks given by:
Off limits?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 05:02 PM)Cornholio Wrote: The Kennedy brothers yukking it up while taking turns shagging Marilyn is OK.
Trump's locker room wisecracks with Billy Bush, NOT OK.
Obviously.

(2017-01-09, 05:33 PM)Cornholio Wrote: Off limits?

Who is supporting Kennedy? Confused 

I'm sure most of you far right conservatives would love to go back to JFKs misogynist era, just as you support Trump being able to grab pussies at will and mock the disabled while pretending to care about whether people have jobs or healthcare.

You're not nearly as funny or witty as you think.
"I view material possessions as a side effect of living rather than a goal of life"
Thanks given by:
Speaking of which, isn't it time another Samantha Bee video was posted?
Thanks given by: