Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.S. Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte, 3 others robbed in Rio
I love the release from the Rio Spokeperson - "A Rio Games spokesman defended the swimmers, saying they were just kids who were having fun and made a mistake.
"These kids tried to have fun, they tried to represent their country to the best of their abilities," Rio 2016 spokesman Mario Andrada told reporters. "They competed under gigantic pressure. Let's give these kids a break. Sometime you take actions that you later regret. They had fun, they made a mistake, life goes on."

Hey they are just kids (Lochte is 31) having fun so who cares what they did! Lol. Who cares that they fabricated a lie to try and get their little bit of money back (I assume through insurance) that they "lost" because they damage someone else's property....and who cares if they wasted the time and efforts of the Brazilian police....and who cares if they tried to put a black mark on the tourism face of Brazil and the Olympics...and who cares that instead of owning up to their mistake they decided to flee the country to keep everyone working hard on the case in the dark. They are just kids having fun, let them be!
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-18, 11:25 AM)miltonred Wrote: Lmao. This is hilarious. Bunch of middle class American yahoos have made themselves look like total dicks to the entire world!

What were they thinking? I can only assume the bathroom door breaking was closer to an act of vandalism than an accident, given their decision to try to cover it up?

Isn't that what Americans do when they travel? Just ask any European, Asian, Mexican as to how many Americans act abroad. 

Agree with you about the cover up. The cover up is always worse than the act you try to cover up. 

I am glad they're getting exposed.
Thanks given by:
Lochte makes a lot of money in endorsements. Not Phelps money but serious money--like over 20 million in the last 12 or so years. Think of him more like professional athlete privileged. not middle class.

"kids" makes me laugh. He's just turned 32. He hasn't been a kid in a dozen years.

My "DoucheDAR" is pretty good, always has been. He's one.
Mostly Harmless
Thanks given by: Bong13
If Lochte writes a book about his life later the chapter dealing with this will be called things I later regretted.
time fears the pyramids, the pyramids fear Betty White

Thanks given by:
(2016-08-18, 11:55 AM)topgun Wrote:
(2016-08-18, 11:25 AM)miltonred Wrote: Lmao. This is hilarious. Bunch of middle class American yahoos have made themselves look like total dicks to the entire world!

What were they thinking? I can only assume the bathroom door breaking was closer to an act of vandalism than an accident, given their decision to try to cover it up?

Isn't that what Americans do when they travel? Just ask any European, Asian, Mexican as to how many Americans act abroad. 

Agree with you about the cover up. The cover up is always worse than the act you try to cover up. 

I am glad they're getting exposed.

It was vandalism.
http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2016/08/...-video.cnn
Thanks given by:
maybe we should change the title from robbed in Rio to committed Fraud in Rio
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
So what, they kicked the locked restroom door in? When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Still don't know the reason for the fake holdup story.
Thanks given by:
probably because they don't want to look like the inconsiderate jerks they are. wanted to look like the victims for sympathy
Thanks given by:
Lochte had a golden boy image to uphold, which is now shot lol.
Thanks given by:
So it turns out the golden boy American swimmers are not victims, just tremendous douchebags?  

I wonder how far this will go, or if they will actually face any amount of jail time for their misdemeanour crimes.  There are many places in the world I do not want to visit, and a Brazilian prison is pretty high up on that list.  Even if it was just a couple of days, that would be pretty shitty for the remaining swimmers.

Good luck, boys Laugh .
Thanks given by:
Security guard approached after the vandalism occurred, they were in a taxi at the gas pump, demanded monies for the damages. He pulled his gun apparently.
So half truth told to cover up criminal act of vandalism.
Thanks given by:
It might have gone better for them if they admitted the vandalism and paid for it.

Can Lochte be forced to return to Rio?
time fears the pyramids, the pyramids fear Betty White

Thanks given by:
(2016-08-18, 07:11 PM)Doppelganger Wrote: It might have gone better for them if they admitted the vandalism and paid for it.

Nope

I hope they take his medal away.

I wonder if/when they will let the other 2 go.
Republic of Texas
Thanks given by: Doppelganger
apparently all the swimmers could be banned from the US swimming team for this.

didn't say how long or if it was permanent but they're going to face some disciplinary actions from their team.
Thanks given by:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/18/sport/us-s...index.html

Rio de Janeiro (CNN)[Breaking news update, posted at 10:37 p.m. ET]

The US Olympic Committee has issued an apology for the ordeal involving four American swimmers who reported being robbed over the weekend in Rio de Janeiro.
"The behavior of these athletes is not acceptable, nor does it represent the values of Team USA or the conduct of the vast majority of its member," said USOC CEO Scott Blackmun.
Brazilian police have accused the athletes of vandalism.

Sounds like Ryan Locate is what we Canadians call a liar!!
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-18, 09:13 PM)OilersChick Wrote:
(2016-08-18, 07:11 PM)Doppelganger Wrote: It might have gone better for them if they admitted the vandalism and paid for it.

Nope

The other 2 are on there way home as we speak according to CNN as the USOC has apologized to Brazil and Rio. As for forcing the other 2 to return as OC says no! Doppel remember that young gal from the US who was finally was allowed to leave Italy but later they wanted her back. She refused and nothing happened.
GO LEAFS GO!!
Thanks given by:
The damage will be paid for and the USOC will try to make this disappear quick.
The Brazilians will want to be on the good side of the US so they will let it go.
Mostly Harmless
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-18, 09:27 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: apparently all the swimmers could be banned from the US swimming team for this.

didn't say how long or if it was permanent but they're going to face some disciplinary actions from their team.

meh.  

depends on how much of a medal threat they are.   

If the swimmer is a possible medallist, he will not be banned meaningfully.  

If it's a retiring Lochte, he might get something symbolic.
Mostly Harmless
Thanks given by:
I read a BBC story earlier that had more detail, as well as security camera footage. It said that they couldn't open the door to the bathroom (which was outside) so they started pissing on the side of the building. The video (from about 20 feet behind them) shows at least one of them in the act, then the security guard coming out. Too fuzzy to tell whether he drew his gun.

Police said there were women with them and the motive for covering it up could've been to avoid girlfriends back home hearing about it.
We live to survive our paradoxes
Thanks given by:
(2016-08-18, 09:13 PM)OilersChick Wrote:

Nope

Pretty sure one of the articles in this thread said they were let go.
Thanks given by: