Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update: Ladd, Byfuglien, Trouba asking Jets for $152M in contracts
Bob McKenzie was on Ottawa’s TSN 1200 on Thursday afternoon.
On the likelihood of the Jets getting contracts done with Andrew Ladd and Dustin Byfuglien before the trade deadline, and if the Jets will be forced into making decisions on these guys by then:

“Possibly. I mean – Kevin Cheveldayoff is going to be the busiest man in the National Hockey League. He’s got many contracts to negotiate. You’ve got Ladd and Byfuglien are the two high-profile guys that are going to unrestricted free agency. But he’s also got to do restricted free agent deals for Jacob Trouba, Mark Scheifele, Andrew Hutchinson in net, and Lowry, the third line center.

“So those are some significant players. And in the case of Trouba and Scheifele in particular – you could make a case Scheifele is growing into No. 1 center status on this hockey team. And Trouba is a stud defenseman that’s going to expect to be paid like one. Then you have to factor in your captain, Andrew Ladd, going to unrestricted free agency, and Byfuglien.

“Byfuglien is going to be a tough one. Because I’ll tell you what – He’s 30 years old. He’s got a $5.2 million cap hit. And if he goes to the open market this summer, there’s no doubt in my mind that Dustin Byfuglien is going to get a seven year deal in excess of $7 million a year. No doubt in my mind whatsoever. He’s making $6 million this year. He’s got a $5.2 million cap hit. I don’t know if the Winnipeg Jets can go seven or the permissible eight years at the kind of money that he wants and do everything else they want to do, but he’s such an important part of their team.

“So it’s going to be fascinating to see how all of this unfolds between now and the trade deadline.”

Yikes!
Thanks given by:
Now that would be some contract
Thanks given by:
Byfuglien is a good player, but frustrating. He puts up terrific offensive numbers and has versatility, but he can never seem to quite break into that next level.

He has the tools to be the best in the game, but the consistency isn't always there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get that kind of contract.
Thanks given by:
Defensemen are hard to find and they can still be effective in their 30's. Forwards begin to regress in their late 20's/ early 30's. I would trade Ladd.
Thanks given by:
When I saw 7x7 I thought it was the overtime format Byfuglien wanted.
Thanks given by:
Sign Buff to 7x7 and get rid of Ladd, who is average.

Give Buff the C and he'll elevate his game
Thanks given by:
When he's on he's worth that all day every day, my issue with giving a guy like that that kind of term is he's shown to have a questionable commitment at times and his play can be very up and down. I would certainly entertain trading him and see what I could get in return.
Thanks given by:
Buff is playing for himself these days. He's not putting the work in he once did, and I wouldn't give him the terms of this thread at all. When he's playing for the team, he's a monster, when he's playing for himself, he takes long shifts, is caught out of position a lot, takes runs at guys and misses (or doesn't fully connect),

At most, I'd offer him what he's getting now, for 3-4 years. As Bure mentioned, I'd honestly be looking to trade him at the deadline for a bottom 6 elite checker, a prospect or two, and some picks.

Jets have depth on D, and are pretty well solidified with top 6 (though, I would take an upgrade on Ladd and Little up front if available), what they lack is a true bottom 6 workhorse checker.
Thanks given by:
It all depends on how Winnipeg wants to go forward.

They have a solid top 6, nice mix of veterans and youth. Their defense without Buff could still be legit. Trouba, Enstrom, Meyers, and Stuart aren't a bad top 4 at all. They can do a solid retool if they get rid of Buff. Josh Morissey is an elite talent imo and can will probably make the team next year.

Trading Buff can land a legitimate prospect + a 1st rounder, heck even a serviceabl roster player. The market for good defenders is weak and I think Chevy can squeeze as much as he can out of Buff in a trade.

Trade Ladd at the same time to get another elite prospect and roster player and you have a team that will be ready to contend if all their young guys keep developing right (Ehlers, Scheifele, Trouba, Burmistrove are all solid young guys). Give the C to a guy that'll make the most out of the opportunity imo, Wheeler.
Thanks given by:
UPDATE

Ladd, Byfuglien, Trouba asking Jets for $152M in contracts
By: Tim Campbell
Posted: 12/14/2015 2:10 PM | Last Modified: 12/14/2015 4:06 PM | Updates | Comments: 47
  • Tweet 348
  • Post 40
  • Reddit 38
  • ShareThis 491
  • Print
  • Email 2
The Winnipeg Jets are facing more than $152 million worth of future contract demands from three key players who are in expiring years of their contracts.
League and player sources have confirmed that Jets captain Andrew Ladd has asked for a six-year deal worth at least $41 million, that defenceman Dustin Byfuglien has requested $55 million over eight years and that defenceman Jacob Trouba wants more than $56 million over the maximum eight years allowed in the league’s CBA with its players.
[Image: buffLadd.jpg]
JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Dustin Byfuglien, left, and Captain Andrew Ladd at practice this morning. Purchase Photo Print

It’s important to note that these numbers have been basically starting points from each of the player’s camps in their negotiations with the Jets. GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has not commented at all on potential progress or stumbling blocks to talks.
Ladd is in the final year of a five-year, $22-million deal paying him $4.5 million this season. Byfuglien is in the final year of a five-year, $26-million deal paying him $6 million this season. Trouba is in the third and final year of his entry-level contract, making $832,500 in salary this year.
The magnitude of the future asks could also be the reason nothing has been agreed to yet.
Talks with Ladd were more frequent earlier than recently. Reports have said there was little dialogue with Byfuglien’s camp until recently.
And Trouba and the Jets have reportedly agreed to deal with the matter after the season is over.
Ladd and Byfuglien could become UFAs on July 1, while Trouba could be an RFA at the end of 2015-16.
If the opening requests for the Ladd, Byfuglien and Trouba were the final numbers — and that seems unlikely — Ladd’s new cap-hit number would be at least $6.8 million, Byfuglien’s $6.875 million and Trouba’s at least $7 million.
That would eat up most of the approximately $10 million cap space the Jets currently have in the NHL’s salary system. Next season’s number is not yet known, though commissioner Gary Bettman has said the cap could rise as much as $3 million.
The team also has forwards Mark Scheifele and Adam Lowry in the final years of entry-level deals and goalie Michael Hutchinson, who will also be a restricted free agent next summer.
tim.campbell@freepress.mb.ca

Good luck Chevy
Thanks given by:
If you look at NHLguru or one of the other salary websites, the Jets can't afford Ladd and Buff, it will have to be either or. Which means the Buff is with another team next year. Based on how the Jets season is going, I won't be surprised if they move him at the trade deadline.
Thanks given by:
Wow...buff is worth that cap hit but the term?????

Trouba still has dues to pay imo.
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:
(2015-11-06, 05:46 PM)LeafalCrusader Wrote: Bob McKenzie was on Ottawa’s TSN 1200 on Thursday afternoon.
On the likelihood of the Jets getting contracts done with Andrew Ladd and Dustin Byfuglien before the trade deadline, and if the Jets will be forced into making decisions on these guys by then:

“Possibly. I mean – Kevin Cheveldayoff is going to be the busiest man in the National Hockey League. He’s got many contracts to negotiate. You’ve got Ladd and Byfuglien are the two high-profile guys that are going to unrestricted free agency. But he’s also got to do restricted free agent deals for Jacob Trouba, Mark Scheifele, Andrew Hutchinson in net, and Lowry, the third line center.

“So those are some significant players. And in the case of Trouba and Scheifele in particular – you could make a case Scheifele is growing into No. 1 center status on this hockey team. And Trouba is a stud defenseman that’s going to expect to be paid like one. Then you have to factor in your captain, Andrew Ladd, going to unrestricted free agency, and Byfuglien.

“Byfuglien is going to be a tough one. Because I’ll tell you what – He’s 30 years old. He’s got a $5.2 million cap hit. And if he goes to the open market this summer, there’s no doubt in my mind that Dustin Byfuglien is going to get a seven year deal in excess of $7 million a year. No doubt in my mind whatsoever. He’s making $6 million this year. He’s got a $5.2 million cap hit. I don’t know if the Winnipeg Jets can go seven or the permissible eight years at the kind of money that he wants and do everything else they want to do, but he’s such an important part of their team.

“So it’s going to be fascinating to see how all of this unfolds between now and the trade deadline.”

Yikes!

Byfuglien is HUGE. A MONSTER I haven't seen much of him this year. I assume he is on Defence? I think he has 9g and 21 pts. Great numbers for a giant.

SEVEN million? I pay him six for 4 years.. or trade him to Vancouver for Chris Higgins Wink Can't see Ladd getting 6.8 but he is a big guy with good numbers. Tough to keep them. I want to see the Jets competitive, but they might have to move one and my choice would be Ladd. Most guys who are overpaid end up with the Rangers anyhow.

Good luck with all this
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
According to Trouba, he has no idea where the numbers in the article came from.

Buff, while a beast, is too inconsistent with his play for top dollar.

Ladd, well, I'm finding he's more of the third line player he was in Chicago than a top 6 guy. Ehlers will take his spot with top 6 guys, and start lighting it up.
Thanks given by:
Someone in the league will give each of these players this type of money on the open market

Other than Trouba, who won't get an offer sheet for that contract, the players are in the driver's seats.

Thanks given by:
Byfuglien would be getting Phaneuf money? A much better player in my opinion!
Tomorrow Is Just Another Day!!
Thanks given by:
Talks with Ladd have broken off, Jets have turned their focus onto resigning Byfuglien.

What do you think trading Ladd would get the Jets?
Thanks given by:
5 years $7.6 mil, so Leafal got the money right, but not the term. A very good thing for Winnipeg, and honestly, $7.6 for what Buff brings is a solid deal.
Thanks given by:
(2016-02-08, 04:24 PM)theDC Wrote: 5 years $7.6 mil, so Leafal got the money right, but not the term. A very good thing for Winnipeg, and honestly, $7.6 for what Buff brings is a solid deal.

Trouba is having a terrible year.  Some say he wants out.

Winnipeg should jump all over Trouba for  Hamonic.  You get a stud defender coming back and send away a kid that is underachieving.

Hamonic is still young and has a great contract for 3 more years.
Thanks given by:
(2016-02-09, 02:09 PM)maclintock Wrote:
(2016-02-08, 04:24 PM)theDC Wrote: 5 years $7.6 mil, so Leafal got the money right, but not the term. A very good thing for Winnipeg, and honestly, $7.6 for what Buff brings is a solid deal.

Trouba is having a terrible year.  Some say he wants out.

Winnipeg should jump all over Trouba for  Hamonic.  You get a stud defender coming back and send away a kid that is underachieving.

Hamonic is still young and has a great contract for 3 more years.

I'd love Hamonic here, but I'm not entirely sure Trouba wants out as much as he is going through a slump. 

Would the Islanders (from Brooklyn) agree to that? Straight up? One side has to offer more? (I suspect the Jets would have to sweeten the pot a bit)
Thanks given by: