Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What gives with the Penguin's schedule?
According to NHL.com, they haven't played a game since December 31st.  They play tomorrow, January 8th.  Is this right?
Thanks given by:
Bye week. Every team has them because the schedule is so tight due to the the World Cup
Thanks given by:
I think the bye week is a good idea, and one the NHL ought to consider using on a go forward basis regardless of whether there's an Olympics or whatever.
Thanks given by:
I had no idea. This is a good idea.
Thanks given by:
I agree with Babcock I think its dumb and I'd rather they just space the games out more so there are less back to backs and 3 in 4 nights. 

"I think it's 100 per cent wrong for player safety," Babcock said ahead of a Saturday tilt with the Montreal Canadiens. "You've got so many games in such a short period of time and you're jamming in more. To me, the more days rest you can have by not playing back-to-backs and jamming it in the healthier you have a chance to be I believe
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 01:47 AM)LeafalCrusader Wrote: I agree with Babcock I think its dumb and I'd rather they just space the games out more so there are less back to backs and 3 in 4 nights. 

"I think it's 100 per cent wrong for player safety," Babcock said ahead of a Saturday tilt with the Montreal Canadiens. "You've got so many games in such a short period of time and you're jamming in more. To me, the more days rest you can have by not playing back-to-backs and jamming it in the healthier you have a chance to be I believe

agreed.

the week rest is nice...but it only means the rest of games are being played with fewer days off between them.
Thanks given by: LeafalCrusader
(2017-01-08, 01:49 AM)Chris D Wrote:
(2017-01-08, 01:47 AM)LeafalCrusader Wrote: I agree with Babcock I think its dumb and I'd rather they just space the games out more so there are less back to backs and 3 in 4 nights. 

agreed.

the week rest is nice...but it only means the rest of games are being played with fewer days off between them.

That's my thought process as well. 

Detroit is going to have to play three games in three nights to make up for the canceled game against California. The PA was not willing to make an exception for days off. 

Not sure how three in three is less abusing than the alternative.
Thanks given by:
So Babcock and some fans are against it but the players would rather play 3 in 3 nights than give it up, tells me right there it is a good idea.
Thanks given by:
Leafs have their bye week this week. They're already on the lower side for games played, so by the end of the week should be right at the bottom. Teams in the East have played between 38-42 games, Pens are at 38 after their bye-week, Leafs are at 39 to start theirs.

I'm pretty neutral towards a bye week. I'd rather a shorter season, something like ~40 games. I can't watch 82, and even when I can watch a game, they're not as meaningful because there are 82 of them. I'd like a shorter season where each game matters that much more. Bye week? Meh, don't think it matters much one way or the other.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 02:42 AM)tm123 Wrote: So Babcock and some fans are against it but the players would rather play 3 in 3 nights than give it up, tells me right there it is a good idea.

PA makes their decisions based on negotiating stance. 

Their decision is an attempt to maintain an upper hand on the NHL, not because it's in the best interest of players safety.
Thanks given by:

Is he equally vocal about compressing the schedule to allow for stupid gimmicks like the world cup of hockey?
Thanks given by:
I'm not crazy about a bye week either. It doesn't make sense to have a bye week when we just had the late start due to the World Cup.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 02:23 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:
(2017-01-08, 02:42 AM)tm123 Wrote: So Babcock and some fans are against it but the players would rather play 3 in 3 nights than give it up, tells me right there it is a good idea.

Their decision is an attempt to maintain an upper hand on the NHL, not because it's in the best interest of players safety.

The PA checks with the team affected to determine response.  Same as they did with I believe the Oilers this year when a practice was put on a mandated day off.
Thanks given by:
I don't see the issue. They get a full week off and probably have to play like 2 more back to back games. I'm sure they are ok with that to get a full week off to rest. At the time some will like it and some will not. Those that are playing injured will hate the back to backs, but those that are playing injured will love the week off to heal and not miss any games.

Of course the coaches will hate it because they know with more back to backs they have a harder time at winning. I wonder if the Leafs were on a losing skid instead of winning skid, if Babcock would feel the same? The week off would give his team to get refreshed and get back to winning, but since they have been winning it might screw with their roll.
Thanks given by:
And for all those who think the Leafs have the 'favourable' schedule, nobody has more back to back games than Toronto this year. Those are tough on every team, especially the goaltenders.

We all know the players wil be going to the Olympics... Next year won't be any different.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 11:06 AM)Habfan Wrote: I don't see the issue. They get a full week off and probably have to play like 2 more back to back games. I'm sure they are ok with that to get a full week off to rest. At the time some will like it and some will not. Those that are playing injured will hate the back to backs, but those that are playing injured will love the week off to heal and not miss any games.

Of course the coaches will hate it because they know with more back to backs they have a harder time at winning. I wonder if the Leafs were on a losing skid instead of winning skid, if Babcock would feel the same? The week off would give his team to get refreshed and get back to winning, but since they have been winning it might screw with their roll.
No. We just lost to your team and Babcock admitted he made a mistake playing Andersen on both nights.

John Cooper just said last night that his team is tired.

The players are thinking sunshine and 4-5 days with their families.

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-07, 10:09 PM)CTS Wrote: Bye week.  Every team has them because the schedule is so tight due to the the World Cup

Meanwhile, Winnipeg played the most games in the smallest window of time in the history of the NHL....
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-08, 02:23 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:

Apparently some players aren't too happy with the layout either. 

Babcock doesn't have a horse in the race - he's going to be coaching / prepping throughout the season, during the down time.  I'm sure he's seeing first hand and hearing the complaints that comes with the compressed schedule. His comment comes with a little more weight than just something he fancies.

Tells me right there that the idea isn't perfect.
Thanks given by:
To me, a week off isn't worth the trade-off of increased back-to-back games.

That's like my work giving me an extra week off but making me work Saturday and Sunday 3 times to "make up" for the extra "time off". It's just shuffled around time off. I'd rather have more frequent breaks - and I'm not an athlete who's pushing his body to the limit day in and day out.
Thanks given by:
The other thing is, you can schedule a practice the day before the end of the mandated break, if your team plays the day after the break ends.

This is the case for Toronto.

I bet Babcock has them on the ice Thursday for Friday's game.

So they had Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday without hockey.

That's not much time to travel anywhere.

I bet the young guys are just chillin, playing COD.

Thanks given by: