Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What gives with the Penguin's schedule?
(2017-01-10, 10:02 AM)BlueMountain Wrote: The other thing is, you can schedule a practice the day before the end of the mandated break, if your team plays the day after the break ends.

This is the case for Toronto.

I bet Babcock has them on the ice Thursday for Friday's game.

So they had Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday without hockey.

That's not much time to travel anywhere.

I bet the young guys are just chillin, playing COD.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I was listening to hockey central at noon yesterday and they were saying lots of the guys were at beach locales. 

Not that it matters.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 11:20 AM)BlueMountain Wrote: And for all those who think the Leafs have the 'favourable' schedule, nobody has more back to back games than Toronto this year.  Those are tough on every team, especially the goaltenders.

We all know the players wil be going to the Olympics... Next year won't be any different.

Ya... I'm pretty sure fans in Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, LA, Anaheim, Dallas, Arizona, San Jose, Tampa and Florida aren't going to sympathize with the Leafs and their "back to back" issues this year... LOL

Not that we can change geography, but in terms of tough schedules, the teams listed above ( and a few others ) have it much tougher every single year...  

Just be thankful that the Leafs of the past decade didn't have the same travel schedules as their Western counterparts had...  Wink

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 12:54 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 11:20 AM)BlueMountain Wrote: And for all those who think the Leafs have the 'favourable' schedule, nobody has more back to back games than Toronto this year.  Those are tough on every team, especially the goaltenders.

We all know the players wil be going to the Olympics... Next year won't be any different.

Ya... I'm pretty sure fans in Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, LA, Anaheim, Dallas, Arizona, San Jose, Tampa and Florida aren't going to sympathize with the Leafs and their "back to back" issues this year... LOL

Not that we can change geography, but in terms of tough schedules, the teams listed above ( and a few others ) have it much tougher every single year...  

Just be thankful that the Leafs of the past decade didn't have the same travel schedules as their Western counterparts had...  Wink
The Leafs Western conference travel, been there, done that
We just try to ignore the elephant somehow
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 01:03 PM)WTTM Wrote:

WTTM,

Like I said, we can't change geography, but , even in a year when the Leafs have more back to backs than anyone, they will NEVER have it tougher ( schedule wise ) than many teams in the NHL... as in NEVER, EVER. 

The fact that BM went out of his way to make sure everyone knew about the Leafs back to back situation more than warranted the "been there and done that", Western response.

Thanks given by:
Who's looking for sympathy?

I stated facts.

That's it.

If you want to create a narrative, have at er'

But nobody will care.

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 01:37 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:

WTTM,

Like I said, we can't change geography, but , even in a year when the Leafs have more back to backs than anyone, they will NEVER have it tougher ( schedule wise ) than many teams in the NHL... as in NEVER, EVER. 

The fact that BM went out of his way to make sure everyone knew about the Leafs back to back situation more than warranted the "been there and done that", Western response.

You do remember the Leafs were in the Western Conference for a number of years and put on significant mileage all while making the Semifinals in back to back seasons.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 02:18 PM)BlueMountain Wrote: Who's looking for sympathy?

I stated facts.

That's it.

If you want to create a narrative, have at er'

But nobody will care.

This is your opening sentence in post 15...

"And for all those who think the Leafs have the 'favourable' schedule, nobody has more back to back games than Toronto this year."

In posts 1 through 14 not a single poster brought up the Leafs sked and obviously nobody suggested the Leafs schedule was easy or tough ( or anything in between ).

Fact is, you were the one that created the narrative about the Leafs back to back sked Blue, I simply responded. 

Is that fair comment or not? 

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 03:02 PM)WTTM Wrote:

WTTM,

You do remember the Leafs were in the Western Conference for a number of years and put on significant mileage all while making the Semifinals in back to back seasons.

Yes , I do WTTM,

I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with the subject at hand, but yes... I do remember.  Happy

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 04:24 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 12:54 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote: Ya... I'm pretty sure fans in Calgary, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, LA, Anaheim, Dallas, Arizona, San Jose, Tampa and Florida aren't going to sympathize with the Leafs and their "back to back" issues this year... LOL

WTTM,

Yes , I do WTTM,

I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with the subject at hand, but yes... I do remember.  Happy

You said the Western teams have it more difficult "every single year", was just pointing out that the Leafs had it even worse then, now going forward no they won't have to deal with it.
I think the compressed games is far more taxing on the players than the odd longer flight.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 05:14 PM)WTTM Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 01:03 PM)WTTM Wrote: The Leafs Western conference travel, been there, done that

WTTM,

Yes , I do WTTM,

You said the Western teams have it more difficult "every single year", was just pointing out that the Leafs had it even worse then, now going forward no they won't have to deal with it.
I think the compressed games is far more taxing on the players than the odd longer flight.

WTTM,

Are you suggesting that back in the day, the Leafs , playing in the Western Conference had it tougher ( travel and schedule wise ) than some of the Western teams???

Or are you simply suggesting that the Leafs have it a bit easier now playing in the Eastern conference compared to their days in the Western Conference.  

Thanks  

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 07:01 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 01:37 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote: WTTM,

Yes , I do WTTM,

WTTM,

Are you suggesting that back in the day, the Leafs , playing in the Western Conference had it tougher ( travel and schedule wise ) than some of the Western teams???

Or are you simply suggesting that the Leafs have it a bit easier now playing in the Eastern conference compared to their days in the Western Conference.  

Thanks  

I only remember seeing a mileage stat during one of their playoff runs, can't remember if it was the LA or Vancouver series, they had considerably more miles put on than the opposition did.

I would think a current team like Nashville that is far more in the east than west but has to play the Western teams more has a more difficult travel schedule than teams in the west.
Thanks given by:
Hey WTTM,

As mentioned, I do remember the years that the Leafs were in the Western Conference... and I also remember the year you are talking about when the Leafs had to do some traveling out West in the playoffs... I was at the game when the Canucks finished off the Stars and I was also at the game when they finished off your Leafs... ( Adams with the winner baby!!! )

FTR, in the playoffs that year the Canucks traveled 2 times to Calgary ( and back obviously ), they traveled once to Dallas and they traveled once to Toronto...

That same year the Leafs traveled twice to Chicago, once to San Jose and once to Vancouver...

Back then, they were playing rounds of 2 - 3 - 2 if the travel was across the country... this happened for the Canucks in the Dallas series and the TO series... The Leafs had the same situation when they played the Sharks and my Canucks...

In terms of travel time, flights from Van to Calgary are about 1 hour and 20 mins, to Dallas they are roughly 4 hours...

Flights from Toronto to Chicago are about 1 hour and 20 mins while flights from Toronto to San Jose are about 5 hours... and obviously both teams had to endure flights to and from Vancouver...

In other words, in the 1993/94 playoffs, the Leafs had to log about 2 hours more total air time than the Canucks. ( In case you are wondering, I'm in the airline industry ). So yes, that particular year, in the playoffs, the Leafs had to travel slightly more than my team did... then again, we went on to play the Rangers in the Finals, so I take that back... We traveled more... hahaha.

I am not sure how it broke down the year the Leafs lost to the Kings in the Conference Finals...

However, the regular season is a completely different ball game... it was then for many Western based teams and it remains the same now.

Back then the Central Division of the Western Conference had the following teams: Toronto, Detroit, Chicago, Dallas, St Louis and Winnipeg...

The Pacific Division of the Western Conference had, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, San Jose, Los Angeles and Anaheim.

And as you may recall there were still teams playing in the Eastern conference based in Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, New York ( 2 teams ), Buffalo, Washington, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh and Hartford... along with the 2 Florida based teams. All of these teams played in the Eastern time zone.

And as you also likely recall, the Leafs still played many many games against these Eastern teams, just like the teams based in the West did... and you probably know that a "road trip" Wink for the Leafs to Montreal, or to Ottawa, or to Philly or to New York or to any of the others Eastern teams mentioned above, would be slightly easier than the same road trips for teams based in Alberta, BC and California... and teams from the West played these Eastern based teams just as often as the Leafers did.

You also probably remember that teams based in the West traveled to Toronto to play the Leafs just as much as the Leafs had to travel out West to play the Western teams... so that was a saw off...

Granted, the Leafs schedule back in the days they played in the Western Conference was tougher for them back then than it is today... But it was never as taxing back then on the Leafs as it was on many teams based in the West... that's just a fact.

PS - this year , both the Sharks and the Canucks are playing 16 back to back games... the Leafs, 18.... I would be willing to bet my house that Babcock would prefer the Leafs travel mileage and 18 B2B's over the Canucks or Sharks travel mileage and their 16 B2B's. Just sayin... Happy

Thanks given by:
The players specifically negotiated a 5-day break in the CBA - while I'm sure that not every single NHL player likes it, as a group, the players are for the 5-day break and the condensing of the remainder of the schedule.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 08:34 PM)Pouzar Wrote: The players specifically negotiated a 5-day break in the CBA - while I'm sure that not every single NHL player likes it, as a group, the players are for the 5-day break and the condensing of the remainder of the schedule.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info Pouz.
Thanks given by:
All that type of stuff was part of CBA negotiations including things such as weekly mandatory days off (including days off media).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 07:37 PM)WTTM Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 07:01 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 03:02 PM)WTTM Wrote: You do remember the Leafs were in the Western Conference for a number of years and put on significant mileage all while making the Semifinals in back to back seasons.

Yes , I do WTTM,

WTTM,

Thanks  

I only remember seeing a mileage stat during one of their playoff runs, can't remember if it was the LA or Vancouver series, they had considerably more miles put on than the opposition did.

I would think a current team like Nashville that is far more in the east than west but has to play the Western teams more has a more difficult travel schedule than teams in the west.

This year, Nashville is ranked 16th in miles traveled amongst NHL teams. Toronto is 28th. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.ontheforec...ent=safari
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 08:34 PM)Pouzar Wrote: The players specifically negotiated a 5-day break in the CBA - while I'm sure that not every single NHL player likes it, as a group, the players are for the 5-day break and the condensing of the remainder of the schedule.

Just because they asked for it, doesn't mean they like the results.
I asked for a fifth martini because I wanted it. Doesn't mean I liked it.
Thanks given by: