Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What next???
(2017-04-20, 11:28 PM)KNilsson14 Wrote: You can't get rid of every single veteran

If you had to keep 1 or 2 on that list.., who would it be?

Johnson, Chiasson.

I would prefer Gillies play backup to a new number 1 goalie although he could use another year in the A. Chiasson was hot and cold, but at his price he is ok as a 4 line RW.
Life, Liberty, and the Happiness of Pursuit.
Thanks given by:
(2017-04-21, 08:13 AM)maclintock Wrote: What do you think they do with that #4 D man slot.

Do you resign or attempt to resign Stone?  I like that guys game.

Russell has been a great addition for the Oil this year and I know you would have gone after him ( Or So I heard) if the Oil had not signed him or Wideman was traded.
I think Russell's camp will want that last contract for sure and no idea what that will be?  Pretty sure that Chiarelli would love him back but not at 4 years and 4.5 per ( If that is really what he is looking for) Do think a team like Vegas will give him a 4 year 16 mill but I doubt the Oil do ( Could be wrong)
No idea what Stone will cost but he held out last year right till the end and ended up with a 1 yr 4 millish.

I think that #4 slot for both the Flames and Oil will be a concern this summer.

I would resign Stone. Russ is an LD and we have plenty and unless we want to part with Brodie there is no room at the inn. Stone is a pretty good RD and has some size.
Thanks given by:
I like Stone's game, but am unsure what his price will be. He got a 1 yr 4 mil deal out of Phx. At 4 mil per year I think there are better options available.

As much as I like what Engelland has brought, they need to move on from him, and Bart. Anahiem penned those two in their end the whole series. The Flames need an upgrade in the speed and skill of their 3rd pairing. The Ducks were playing D-men#8 and #9 in their 3rd pair and they didn't miss a beat. Time for younger D men on entry level deals to step up, or move on. Then they can afford to find another top 4 guy as a UFA.

Elliotte Friedman was just on Fan 960 and when asked what Cgy would do if Tre did not sign threw out the name CRAIG CONROY as his replacement, and maybe a candidate in Buffalo. He seemed to think Conny is destined for a GM job somewhere Shocked
Dance like no one's watching. Email like it will be read aloud in court. 
Thanks given by:
I think Conny would do fine. He's been around the team long enough to have a real good idea of what's been beating us I would think. I also would like to see Tre re-signed. There is continuity and stability there. Or maybe Jabba the Feaster is still available? Icon_eek
Thanks given by:
I think our needs for next year are.

Top six speedy forward with some size that can score.
Bottom six forwards (3) with size, speed, and grit.
Top four defensemen (1) with some size and grit.
Bottom 7-8 defensemen (2) with some size.

Wow. Look like I want to replace the whole club!

Questions that need to be answered.

1) Is Ferly a legitimate first line RW?
2) Is Versteeg durable enough to be re-signed?
3) Is it time to revamp our top 4 D? I.e. Brodie, Gio, Hamilton
4) Goalies. Can we promote a farm hand? Rittich is unsigned. Gillies?
5) Can we promote some farm hands? Janowski, Hathaway, Andersson, Kulak, Wotherspoon, Aulie?
6) As noted above what veterans do we let loose/re-role? Do you keep a Stajan and shift him to LW to open up a spot for a Lazar, Jankowski, Vey? Do you let a Bouma go for a Mangiapane, Lomberg? Do you let a Chaisson go for a Hathaway/Frattin?
7) Do you change directions again with a different coaching staff?
8) Or do you make some incremental changes only with hopefully a bonafide no. 1 goalie and see if that's enough to clear the next hurdle, i.e getting to the second round.
Thanks given by:
Does Brouwer have a NMC or a NTC in that 3 years left @ 4.5?
Thanks given by:
(2017-04-21, 11:33 AM)maclintock Wrote: Does Brouwer have a NMC or a NTC in that 3 years left @ 4.5?

One year left on a NTC and then 2 years of a modified NTC.
Thanks given by:
Treliving is already talking about next year.  I think signing a contract is just a formality.

I think they acquired Stone with the intent of keeping him beyond this season.  For the 3rd pairing, I want to see Rasmus Andersson on the right side and someone else young and mobile on the left side.  I think Wotherspoon or Kulak can handle more responsibility than the Flames have given them....,

Up front, I think Brouwer can do more and he is the veteran I would hold on to.  Chiasson had some good moments, but he doesn't play like a guy with size and he doesn't seem to know where to go to support his line-mates.  Bouma and Stajan simply are not scoring threats and the teams that are still alive right now are getting offense from their bottom 6:

Edmonton - Kassian & Desharnais
Washington - Tom Wilson
Anaheim - Nate Thompson
Nashville - Zolneirczyk
"What's the first thing a lion does after he wakes up?" Badger Bob Johnson
"He licks his balls" Kent Nilsson
Thanks given by:
I believe if there was any chance Tre could have moved Bouma or Stajan by now he would have, but like Wideman they will have to live with them unless Vegas takes one. They have done nothing to enhance their value.
Thanks given by: KNilsson14
Flames at the World Championships -

Flames Twitter
Quote:
Johnny Gaudreau will head to the Worlds for USA Hockey.

{John gets to play with Patrick Kane}

Roger Millions‏
#Flames Mark Giordano will consider joining Team Canada at World Hockey Championships in Paris. Will take two-three days to mull over

Pat Steinberg
Dougie Hamilton says he hasn't thought about going to the World's. Says he hasn't heard anything
Hamilton also says the leg laceration he suffered in March hampered him a little for the remainder of the campaign. 

Roger Millions‏Verified account @RogMillions 
Dougie Hamilton says the cut on his leg was as close to an Achilles' tendon tear as it could be.. 2.5 inch gash above the ankle

Pat Steinberg‏Verified account @Fan960Steinberg
Michael Frolik isn't medically cleared for the World's. Wrist injury will keep him from playing for the Czech Republic. 

Wes Gilbertson‏Verified account @WesGilbertson 42s42 seconds ago
More
#Flames RW Michael Frolik has been playing through a wrist injury for about half this season. Had to decline invite to worlds.

Pat Steinberg‏Verified account @Fan960Steinberg 
Frolik says he first injured his wrist in December and it lingered. Hurt it again just before the playoffs. #Flames

Jermain Franklin‏Verified account @TSNJFranklin 
Frolik was dealing with a bad wrist since December... they recently found a small fracture so no World Champs for him this year #Flames

Sean Monahan was asked to join Canada at Worlds. But he will have wrist surgery next couple of days and had to decline. #Flames

Pat Steinberg‏Verified account 
Mikael Backlund says he won't be going to the World's for Sweden. Back problems he's been battling with need time to rest. #Flames
Thanks given by: KNilsson14
#Flames Kris Versteeg on his future; "If I'm sitting in Switzerland in September, my agent is getting fired".

Pending UFA Kris Versteeg says he'd love to be back next season. Says he considers this year a great success for him. #Flames

Calgary Flames‏Verified account @NHLFlames 
"I want to get a little bigger and faster, that's a goal of mine this summer." - Sam Bennett
{do that Sam, do that!}

Wes Gilbertson‏Verified account @WesGilbertson
#Flames D TJ Brodie was invited to represent Canada at worlds, declined due to family engagements. "It sucks, I'd love to be able to go."

Calgary Flames‏Verified account @NHLFlames
"I'd welcome the opportunity to be back. It's out of my hands now." - Brian Elliott

Kristen Odland‏Verified account @Kristen_Odland 
Brian Elliott says he wants to be back with the Flames & wouldn't do anything differently on the goal he allowed in Game 4.

"It comes along with the job, being a goalie. From when you're 8-yrs-old to 38, you're either the hero or getting blamed," -- Elliott

cont. "If you can make it to this level, you've gone through a lot of situations where you could end up an 8-yr-old crying on the way home."
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
According to TSN

Stone, Versteeg, Engelland, Elliott & Johnson all want to re-sign in Calgary
Thanks given by:
Depending on the Money asked, I could see 4 out 5
Thanks given by:
Yeah.., probably not all 5

4 would be tops, but more likely 3