Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's wrong with Ovie?
Real winners win Cups.
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
Thats ridiculous. There's 30 teams in the league. Winning a cup is a team accomplishment and a lot has to go the right way to win it. If Ovechkin was drafted by pitt and malkin by washington, would that instantly mean ovechkin is a winner and malkin is a loser?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 08:06 AM)RyeRocks Wrote: Thats ridiculous.  There's 30 teams in the league.  Winning a cup is a team accomplishment and a lot has to go the right way to win it.  If Ovechkin was drafted by pitt and malkin by washington, would that instantly mean ovechkin is a winner and malkin is a loser?

If that were the case, perhaps Washington has a cup and Pitt doesn't... Malkin does have a Conn Smythe award.
Thanks given by:
There's some validity to the How many Cups does Ovie have argument. He has never led his team to anything. In the NHL or Olympics, when the pressure is greatest. Sid & Malkin have proven to be big game players, Ovie has not. Great regular season player though
Thanks given by:
I think last year, there is merit to Ovechkin not leading the Caps to the Cup...they were the top seed (by a large margin) and should have made it out of the second round but they failed...then OV started whining about the seeding of the playoffs.

Previous years though, Ovechkin didn't have the team around him that Sid and Malkin have had in Pittsburgh. Then, with the Olympics, Sid had an all-star team around him (probably one of the best hockey teams ever assembled)

I find it hard to put team losses, like not winning the Cup, on one player, when there are so many factors that make it a team loss. Good teams, even with great players, have difficulty winning the Cup.
Thanks given by:
Ovechkin 82 points in 84 games
Malkin 129 points in 124 games

Pretty even. You guys don't think Ovechkin would have a better chance at winning the cup or a gold medal if he played on Crosby's team? Malkin btw also has not gotten Russia a gold medal. Huh.

According to this logic, the 4th liner on the penguins is more valuable because he has a cup and ovechkin does not.
Thanks given by:
546 goals - Geez - that is a lot of goals.

29th all time in goals and currently 6th all time in goals/games.

Given the generation he's played in, one of the most elite goal scorers in the history of the game.
Thanks given by: MisterZ
I can't even imagine if Crosby and Ovechkin played together. Chances are, given their positions, they would have actually played on the same line a whole bunch.

A generational left handed center with a generational, right handed scorer?

Oh my.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I'd take Malkin over Ovie IF he could stay healthy. Ovie is at least always healthy.

It's not just the no Stanley Cups, but the Caps are always out in the 1st or 2nd round. Ovie's the leader, a lot of that falls on him
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 10:50 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: Real winners win Cups.

or, as in the case of Ray Bourque, they move somewhere they can win a Cup.

"Crosby, passes to McDavid, he scooores!  PENS WIN THE CUP"  Silly
Thanks given by:
Malkin's been a really consistent producer. Wow, I didn't realize how much action he'd missed til I saw the career numbers. He's our generation's Tim Kerr!
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 11:13 AM)Habfan Wrote: Don't we ask this question every year at this time?  Then by the end of the year people are talking about OV for the Hart.  He'll come around like he always does and tear it up in the second half.  Same with Kopitar (although he is not even close to his normal numbers).  He always has a slow start but then kicks it into gear in the second half.  Although he would need to get over a PPG to even hit the 65 mark (currently on pace for 37).

OV now has 46 in 50.  Still below what we would all expect from him, but since this thread was created he has 16 points in 11 games.  As I previously stated, this seems to be something we always ask about OV at the end of the calendar year, but by the time the end of the season rolls around he is near the top and going for the Rocket trophy. 

Same with Kopitar.  Since this thread was started he has 12 in 9.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 12:13 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Ovechkin 82 points in 84 games
Malkin 129 points in 124 games

Pretty even.  You guys don't think Ovechkin would have a better chance at winning the cup or a gold medal if he played on Crosby's team?  Malkin btw also has not gotten Russia a gold medal.  Huh.

According to this logic, the 4th liner on the penguins is more valuable because he has a cup and ovechkin does not.

He's not consistent in the playoffs, scores in bunches then disappears for stretches that explains the favourable numbers.  When it matters most and the going gets tough Ovie disappears.  There's been several instances through his career at the World Juniors, Olympics and the Stanley Cup playoffs where he was literally run off the ice, disappeared on the ice, or didn't elevate his game.  He's a great regular season player but he's the tin man.  If there was such a thing as a proverbial glass jaw in hockey he'd have it.  Great player but no leader and certainly not much of a winner.  Take someone like Alfie, at least when the Sens went down Alfie was still recognized as the Sens' top player.  I'm talking about opposing players, coaches and media not no nothing fans looking for a scapegoat in the early 2000s.  Nobody defends Ovie when his teams go down when they shouldn't.
Thanks given by: