Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is fluent in French here
I've decided to learn French this year. I understand basic French but I want to become fluent. English is my second language so it's not like it's my first time learning a new language I'm fluent in Portuguese, about 75% in Spanish. Just wondering how many Habs fans on these boards can speak French.
Thanks given by:
Don't hold out on me. I'm going to take a guess that Sean, Higginsfan and maybe Scriptor and Habba' speak French.
Thanks given by:
French, English, same thing for me. Spanish? Used to be fluent but lost a lot of it since. Can get by, if the accent I'm listening to agrees with me.
Thanks given by:
I'd say I'm almost fluent. I get a bit nervous when I need to speak French to an actual francophone beyond basic business transactions but I understand almost everything said to me and in writing. Watching habs games in French really helped me
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 05:58 PM)mada7 Wrote: I'd say I'm almost fluent. I get a bit nervous when I need to speak French to an actual francophone beyond basic business transactions but I understand almost everything said to me and in writing. Watching habs games in French really helped me

You live in Montreal?
Thanks given by:
I was born in Sherbrooke and am fluent in French even after over 25 years out West.
"Only one thing matters in life, and it's the cup"  
                                            - Caresse Crosby

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 06:25 PM)Leb7 Wrote: I was born in Sherbrooke and am fluent in French even after over 25 years out West.

Nice.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 06:25 PM)Leb7 Wrote: I was born in Sherbrooke and am fluent in French even after over 25 years out West.

When I lived in LA (over a year) and Vancouver (4 years until 2001), I had absolutely nobody to speak French with but, I listened to the French CBC, RDI and RDS and that kept my ear sharp and enabled me not to lose my native tongue.

I also got the eastern francophone papers at the library (a few days late, of course) as reading helps recognize how sentences are formulated correctly.

That had also helped me get a good foundation with Spanish way back when.

Conversation, when possible is also essential, though... 

Out West (Vancouver area and BC as a whole), there is a 250,000 strong francophone association that would be more than glad to assist someone that wants to learn the language.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 06:06 PM)bchippie Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 05:58 PM)mada7 Wrote: I'd say I'm almost fluent. I get a bit nervous when I need to speak French to an actual francophone beyond basic business transactions but I understand almost everything said to me and in writing. Watching habs games in French really helped me

You live in Montreal?

Yup Montreal born and raised
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 06:56 PM)Scriptor Wrote:

When I lived in LA (over a year) and Vancouver (4 years until 2001), I had absolutely nobody to speak French with but, I listened to the French CBC, RDI and RDS and that kept my ear sharp and enabled me not to lose my native tongue.

I also got the eastern francophone papers at the library (a few days late, of course) as reading helps recognize how sentences are formulated correctly.

That had also helped me get a good foundation with Spanish way back when.

Conversation, when possible is also essential, though... 

Out West (Vancouver area and BC as a whole), there is a 250,000 strong francophone association that would be more than glad to assist someone that wants to learn the language.
You're right. Even in Salt Spring there is a tiny francophone group. I'll be joining once I get to a comfortable level.
Thanks given by:
Journalistic language is a good way to get used to a language because it is structured in a way you instinctively recognize over time and that provides better context to understand words you may not know offhand. It isn't stuffy or snooty language either because it is written for the masses without being slang.

Bonne chance.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 03:50 PM)bchippie Wrote: Don't hold out on me. I'm going to take a guess that Sean, Higginsfan and maybe Scriptor and Habba' speak French.

Que legal! Claro que eu falo francês Happy. Como posso te ajudar?
Thanks given by:
Good job on the Portuguese. And here was I thinking that French was your only other language. I'm excited about learning French and was just curious who else spoke it on this forum
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 07:48 PM)bchippie Wrote: Good job on the Portuguese. And here was I thinking that French was your only other language. I'm excited about learning French and was just curious who else spoke it on this forum

Eu acho que nao vai ser tão difícil pra voce aprender. Vc ja fala portuguese e espanhol então ja parece um poquinho com Frances. Acho uma pena que nao todos os canadenses falam as duas línguas oficiais do pais
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 07:54 PM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 07:48 PM)bchippie Wrote: Good job on the Portuguese. And here was I thinking that French was your only other language. I'm excited about learning French and was just curious who else spoke it on this forum

Eu acho que nao vai ser tão difícil pra voce aprender. Vc ja fala portuguese e espanhol então ja parece um poquinho com Frances. Acho uma pena que nao todos os canadenses falam as duas línguas oficiais do pais

Tems razão, muito obrigado.
Thanks given by:
I never would have guessed that English was your 2nd language

Good for you.

I was decent in French through highschool...

Wish I had kept it up.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 08:28 PM)BlueMountain Wrote: I never would have guessed that English was your 2nd language

Good for you.

Wish I had kept it up.

I find many people in the same boat. They took French in school but than never kept up. I took it in school as well. At the time though, I was still new to English so it was a little much. Now it's a good time for me to learn it. I don't expect to perfect it but good enough to carry a conversation.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 08:40 PM)bchippie Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 08:28 PM)BlueMountain Wrote: I never would have guessed that English was your 2nd language

Good for you.

Wish I had kept it up.

I find many people in the same boat. They took French in school but than never kept up. I took it in school as well. At the time though, I was still new to English so it was a little much. Now it's a good time for me to learn it.  I don't expect to perfect it but good enough to carry a conversation.

Not having english as your first language actually gives you a bit of an advantage when learning french. English doesn't really use the concept of masculine and feminine nouns or conjugating adjectives or pronouns based on the gender of the noun theyre associated with. Most other languages do care about masculine and feminine nouns so if this is already a concept you're used to that gives you a leg up. The biggest problem I run into when speaking french is I am never quite sure if a noun is masculine or feminine since when Im speaking english it never matters
Thanks given by:
English first and only language. French, Portuguese and Spanish would both have been extremely useful for me to know for work but never seemed to happen. My son at 3+ already speaks fluently (or as fluently as a child does) 2 languages. I will push him to not make the same mistake as me and learn as many as possible.
Thanks given by:
I find it a shame the entire country is not bilingual in the official two languages. Not sure why there are so many people who see it as a negative, when there is really only positive to come out of it, not only in terms of a second language, but language learning helps in so many other facets of the educational process and improving (especially children's) skill set. IMO it would be a very wise investment on the part of the government to promote French in the country, and even a third language if possible
Thanks given by: