Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is fluent in French here
(2017-01-11, 09:43 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote: I find it a shame the entire country is not bilingual in the official two languages. Not sure why there are so many people who see it as a negative, when there is really only positive to come out of it, not only in terms of a second language, but language learning helps in so many other facets of the educational process and improving (especially children's) skill set. IMO it would be a very wise investment on the part of the government to promote French in the country, and even a third language if possible
I read sometime ago that bilingual people have less chance to be affected by dementia. And no they didn't only use Cherry as a case study.
"Only one thing matters in life, and it's the cup"  
                                            - Caresse Crosby

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 11:23 AM)Leb7 Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 09:43 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote: I find it a shame the entire country is not bilingual in the official two languages. Not sure why there are so many people who see it as a negative, when there is really only positive to come out of it, not only in terms of a second language, but language learning helps in so many other facets of the educational process and improving (especially children's) skill set. IMO it would be a very wise investment on the part of the government to promote French in the country, and even a third language if possible
I read sometime ago that bilingual people have less chance to be affected by dementia. And no they didn't only use Cherry as a case study.

lol! 

Yes, there are many medical and educational articles written about the benefits of speaking more than one language. There is only benefits for the mind and health of a person.
Thanks given by:
My daughter is only three, but when she enters grade one, it will be French Immersion. The effect on a child's brain from learning language is extraordinary.

She's already crazy bright for her age, I can't wait to see the development at that time.

And that just might push Daddy into relearning a little more so she can practice at home.

My wife is fluent in Spanish, French, and English is her 1st.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 11:48 AM)BlueMountain Wrote: My daughter is only three, but when she enters grade one, it will be French Immersion.  The effect on a child's brain from learning language is extraordinary.

She's already crazy bright for her age, I can't wait to see the development at that time.

And that just might push Daddy into relearning a little more so she can practice at home.

Smart parenting produces smart children.
"Only one thing matters in life, and it's the cup"  
                                            - Caresse Crosby

Thanks given by:
Tough to argue with that.

Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 11:48 AM)BlueMountain Wrote: My daughter is only three, but when she enters grade one, it will be French Immersion. The effect on a child's brain from learning language is extraordinary.

Your wife knows French, your child will learn. Perfect time for you as well.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 11:48 AM)BlueMountain Wrote: My daughter is only three, but when she enters grade one, it will be French Immersion.  The effect on a child's brain from learning language is extraordinary.

Thats really fantastic Blue and its never too late to learn a new language.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 12:32 PM)Leb7 Wrote:

Smart parenting produces smart children.

Exceptional children become smart despite bad parenting Wink
Thanks given by:
The more languages you know, the more open the world becomes to you and the more you can discover and share. I don't see any kind of plausible argument against learning more languages. Kudos to those that have an open mind to see the value in it.
Thanks given by:
I speak French. I was born and raised in MTL and did great in my French mark in high school and even cegep (always went to English schools). But been in Ontario for almost 25 yrs. So I can still speak ok, can read some if not too complicated topic, prob can't write in French well anymore. Just no one to speak French with for 25 yrs does that.

I do not consider myself bilingual tho. Anglo Quebecer who lives in Ontario is my tittle....which means of course I can speak, but not bilingual. I think you need to be able to write in it better then I do.
Thanks given by:

Here in Ontario French Immersion seems to be a fad....but parents don't get it that they need to speak/know it abit or you will not be able to help ur kid with their school work. And I guess parents just starting off don't realize how much help you give your kids at that age with school learning. Some kids can manage without a parent's help...but I have seen many kids being dropped out of FI by grade 1-2.

I wanted to put my kid in, but my hubby didn't think it was necessary. My kid did great in French at school and has continued in high school to take that course. Kids in the rest of Canada can still learn French even if not in FI. But good for those who can do FI too.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 11:23 AM)Leb7 Wrote:

hum, my mom knows 3....it didn't stop her to get it Sad
Thanks given by:
Yes, I can read, speak and write some French.
Actually learned it while coaching and at a time where I wasn't forced to learn, but wanted to.
The only problem is that the French I know is southeastern NB French and I do find it sometimes difficult to understand some of the northern NB French as well as the Quebec French.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 02:32 PM)HIGGINSFAN Wrote: Yes, I can read, speak and write some French.
Actually learned it while coaching and at a time where I wasn't forced to learn, but wanted to.
The only problem is that the French I know is southeastern NB French and I do find it sometimes difficult to understand some of the northern NB French as well as the Quebec French.

Yep, I speak Portuguese from the Azores. Sometimes when speaking with someone from Lisbon or Brazil can be a challenge. Hell put me a room with a bunch of Scottish or Irish people and I have a hard time understanding their English.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 02:37 PM)bchippie Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 02:32 PM)HIGGINSFAN Wrote: Yes, I can read, speak and write some French.

Yep, I speak Portuguese from the Azores. Sometimes when speaking with someone from Lisbon or Brazil can be a challenge. Hell put me a room with a bunch of Scottish or Irish people and I have a hard time understanding their English.

The funny part is that the people from northern NB believe that they speak the correct French and some will correct the French people from this part of the province.
Strange.
I think the most important factor when communicating with people is that you can understand what each other is saying.
We have some "bilingual" people here who sometimes misinterpret what the unilingual English person is saying. Sad
Thanks given by:
I met a couple in Spain and, while I couldn't understand very much of what the man was saying, I could understand almost everything the woman was saying as they must've come from different parts of the country and had vastly different accents. Being able to understand each other is the key and, sometimes, to be better understood, you need to be willing to speak a language imperfectly rather than hold out for the perfect word or phrase.
Thanks given by:
Listening to Melnick in the Afternoon on TSN 690 and they're talking about learning French and different languages. Creepy.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 03:22 PM)bchippie Wrote: Listening to Melnick in the Afternoon on TSN 690 and they're talking about learning French and different languages. Creepy.

Probably because of some controversy with the Quebec players on Team Canada during the Junior tournament.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 03:28 PM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 03:22 PM)bchippie Wrote: Listening to Melnick in the Afternoon on TSN 690 and they're talking about learning French and different languages. Creepy.

Probably because of some controversy with the Quebec players on Team Canada during the Junior tournament.

Was there any?
Thanks given by: