Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With the 9th Pick in the 2016 Draft, Toronto Raptors select...
The first bust in the draft...

Jakob Poeltl

Who?

Exactly.
Thanks given by:
So because you've never heard of him that means he's a bust?  He looks like a good player.

One of the breakout NBA prospects of last season, Jakob Poeltl emerged from relative obscurity to average 9.2 points and 6.8 rebounds over 23.3 minutes per game as a true freshman while helping Utah to a Sweet Sixteen appearance. Opting to return to school to improve his already lofty draft stock, Poeltl took a calculated risk, which appears likely to pay dividends. Adding to his resume in impressive fashion after a summer playing in exhibition games for the Austrian National Team against the talented rosters fielded by the likes of Germany, Italy, and Lithuania, Poeltl emerged as one of the most productive big men in the country, winning Pac-12 Player of the Year honors along with both the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Pete Newell Big Man awards, averaging 17.3 points and 9.1 rebounds over 30.5 minutes per game. Solidifying himself as a potential top-10 pick, Poeltl figures to be one of the first centers off the board come draft day thanks to the marked improvement he showed this season.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jakob-Poeltl-63039/

Sounds like a good complement to JV, assuming Biyombo signs elsewhere.
Thanks given by:
I was hoping for a trade for Ibaka, but looks like we were blown out of the water there. I thought we'd take Sabonis, but Poeltl seems like a player who can contribute immediately, and I can see why they wanted one of those vs. the longer-term projects we have in Bruno and likely #27.
Thanks given by:
(2016-06-23, 08:55 PM)Gus Wrote: So because you've never heard of him that means he's a bust?  He looks like a good player.

One of the breakout NBA prospects of last season, Jakob Poeltl emerged from relative obscurity to average 9.2 points and 6.8 rebounds over 23.3 minutes per game as a true freshman while helping Utah to a Sweet Sixteen appearance. Opting to return to school to improve his already lofty draft stock, Poeltl took a calculated risk, which appears likely to pay dividends. Adding to his resume in impressive fashion after a summer playing in exhibition games for the Austrian National Team against the talented rosters fielded by the likes of Germany, Italy, and Lithuania, Poeltl emerged as one of the most productive big men in the country, winning Pac-12 Player of the Year honors along with both the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Pete Newell Big Man awards, averaging 17.3 points and 9.1 rebounds over 30.5 minutes per game. Solidifying himself as a potential top-10 pick, Poeltl figures to be one of the first centers off the board come draft day thanks to the marked improvement he showed this season.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jakob-Poeltl-63039/

Sounds like a good complement to JV, assuming Biyombo signs elsewhere.

Exactly.

I am disappointed they didn't grab Skal Labissiere with the 27th pick.
Thanks given by:
I may have overstated a touch...

he was drafted right around where people said he would be drafted....I was just hoping for someone of more impact, and I don't think he will provide it. I think he was the safe pick, but perhaps not the best pick.
Thanks given by:
(2016-06-24, 12:32 AM)Chris D Wrote: I may have overstated a touch...

he was drafted right around where people said he would be drafted....I was just hoping for someone of more impact, and I don't think he will provide it. I think he was the safe pick, but perhaps not the best pick.

Who is this other player that the Raptors could've drafted???

It's a weak draft overall outside of Simmons and Ingram, and then the next tier of players like Murray, Hield, Dunn and Bender.
Thanks given by:
When both Davis and Labissiere unexpectedly dropped to them at 27, I was pretty surprised to see them take another PF who was widely considered to be a mid 2nd round pick, instead of two PF who were both considered to be borderline lottery picks.

Sometimes I think the Raps have a habit of trying to overthink their picks....Rodney Hood was available when they went WAYY off the board and took Caboclo, and Rodney Hood is a pretty solid NBA player now, while Caboclo is still "two years away from being two years away".

I see Siakam being the same thing, while Davis and Labissiere are much easier to project as solid NBA players.

What do I know though.
Thanks given by:
(2016-06-24, 04:02 AM)Harrison219 Wrote:
(2016-06-24, 12:32 AM)Chris D Wrote: I may have overstated a touch...

he was drafted right around where people said he would be drafted....I was just hoping for someone of more impact, and I don't think he will provide it.  I think he was the safe pick, but perhaps not the best pick.

Who is this other player that the Raptors could've drafted???

It's a weak draft overall outside of Simmons and Ingram, and then the next tier of players like Murray, Hield, Dunn and Bender.

Honestly, I'm not even impressed with the next tier you mentioned. Simmons will be a really good pro. I haven't seen enough of Ingram to form an opinion, but from what I've read, he's got all the tools to be a matchup nightmare. A lot of those next guys I'm not impressed with. The fact Murray was being discussed as a 3rd overall pick possibly blew my mind.
"Larry Bird isn't white, he's clear" - Bill Murray
Thanks given by:
I was also surprised at them passing on Davis and Labissiere especially when we were rumored to be taking Skal at 9. I do think this was overthinking.
Thanks given by: