Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
World Juniors thread
(2016-12-30, 09:48 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote: Miller just reporting that the Finnish team has fired their head coach due to their lack lustre performance!

Can't recall a country firing its coach mid-tournament before.  Seems kind of bush league to me.
Thanks given by:
Ingram and Woll getting the starts for Canada and USA today respectively.
Thanks given by:
USA up 1-0. Canada really not playing with any discipline.
"Larry Bird isn't white, he's clear" - Bill Murray
Thanks given by:
I believe I posted on the last page that if Canada plays with the same lack of discipline against the USA then they would give up some early goals... tada! 2-0 USA on 2 early PPs.
Thanks given by:
Undisciplined penalties, spotty goaltending and only 3 shots on goal late in the first. Not looking good.
Thanks given by:
Neither of those goals were Ingram's fault though. Colin White had a a point blank shot 3 feet away and Greenway was left alone and tucked in an easy goal. On both occasions the goal scorers were wide open in goal scoring chances. No way is Ingram in any way at fault.
Thanks given by:
They are getting their butts kicked. Not moving their feet and getting out skated hard!
Thanks given by:
That 5-on-3 powerplay was a disaster. I think Barzal had the puck for 40 of the 50 seconds. Honestly dude, pass the damn puck.
Thanks given by:
Another couple of periods like that and maybe we should fire our coach like the Fins did.  Wink
Thanks given by:
Yeah that period was pathetic. We came out just as flat against Latvia but you can afford to do that against them, not the USA. Honestly, 4 shots on net is brutal and not one of those was anything even remotely a quality scoring chance. Our best opportunity was that terrible 5-on-3 powerplay that Barzal just pissed away.
Thanks given by:
As much as this game is hyped there's really not much at stake as far as the result. I expect we'll come out flying in the second.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-31, 04:16 PM)encore Wrote: Neither of those goals were Ingram's fault though. Colin White had a a point blank shot 3 feet away and Greenway was left alone and tucked in an easy goal. On both occasions the goal scorers were wide open in goal scoring chances. No way is Ingram in any way at fault.

I disagree. He was very late to react on both plays. He was still hugging the post when both goals were in the back of the net.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-31, 04:26 PM)bchippie Wrote: As much as this game is hyped there's really not much at stake as far as the result. I expect we'll  come out flying in the second.

With their still being two games remaining, it's hard to predict exactly what will happen beyond this game, but I'd say it's a good bet Russia beats Slovakia, which will seal Russia and Slovakia as the 3 and 4 seeds. Obviously, the winner of CAN-USA finishes first while the loser finishes second. Sweden has their division locked up, and if Finland beats the Swiss (who knows?), then that would mean the winner of CAN-USA plays the Swiss and then the winner of Russia-Denmark. The other option if we lose this game would be playing the Czechs and then the winner of Sweden and Slovakia. 

You're right, in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. I like our chances against the Swiss or Czechs.
Thanks given by:
(2016-12-31, 04:30 PM)Habfan Wrote:
(2016-12-31, 04:16 PM)encore Wrote: Neither of those goals were Ingram's fault though. Colin White had a a point blank shot 3 feet away and Greenway was left alone and tucked in an easy goal. On both occasions the goal scorers were wide open in goal scoring chances. No way is Ingram in any way at fault.

I disagree. He was very late to react on both plays. He was still hugging the post when both goals were in the back of the net.

I can see the argument on the second goal, because he could have poke-checked Greenway, but how was the first goal in any way his fault? White had all the time in the world at point blank range. Quite frankly if that goal was Ingram's fault then I don't think there's any goal you can't blame the goalie for.
Thanks given by:
Game misconduct for Kunin.

5 minute powerplay. We NEED at least a goal.
Thanks given by:
Wow. That hit looked fairly clean to me.
Thanks given by: shadylane
Barzal is a great stickhandler but he's hanging on to the puck way too long.
Thanks given by:
Here we go. Finally after 1:30 of the powerplay has been a complete waste we've got something going. Woll has been very good so far
Thanks given by:
5 on 3 for 1:48.

You're not going to get a better opportunity
Thanks given by:
Finally a goal! If it takes a five minute penalty and two 5-on-3 powerplays to finally get going, so be it.
Thanks given by: