• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st trade proposal...
...floating around on a Francophone forum:

1) 

To Flyers:

Pacioretty, McCarron, Davidson

To Canadiens:

Gotisbehere, Couturier

Personally not sure that Flyers give those two in return for what Montreal is offering. Would love Gotisbehere (signed for 5 years, still, at 4.5M Cap hit) as it would solve the 1st pairing problem for at least 5 years and, given the complementary, smooth-skating, offensive style of "The Ghost", would make Weber more useful further along his eternal contract.

As for Couturier, he's not tiny, but I'm also not sure he is the answer to our top-6 C problem. Might end up being an extremely strong, 3rd line, two-way C as he fails to capitalize on his once perceived offensive upside. His skating isn't his strong suit and may well hold him back from capitalizing on his upside. If that 's the case, a 4.33M Cap hit for 5 years may be a tad too expensive for that role.

Thoughts?
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
Seems to be a hockey trade to me.
Both teams getting something.
If you look at Pacioretty and Gostisbehere....
Then McCarron, Davidson and Couturier....
Personally I would love to add Gostisbehere and believe that he is available.
Pacioretty would be tough to replace.
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-10, 07:20 PM)habling Wrote: Seems to be a hockey trade to me.

Pacioretty would be hard to replace as a sure-fire 30-40 goal-scorer, but the "Ghost", IMHO, would solve the 1st pairing situation for at least 5 years (the time he is signed for at a 4.5M Cap hit), help lower the impact of Weber's Cap hit on the first pairing and enable the veteran man mountain to play within his limits, continuing to excel deeper into his current contract.

Solving that situation alone in the manner that it would is worth trading Pacioretty, IMO. The onus would be on Galchenyuk performing at C and Hudon taking a crucial next step in order for the Offense to be less impacted by losing Pacioretty.

The PP performing on all cylinders with the 'Ghost' now in the fold would provide a needed offensive boost to help compensate for Pacioretty's lost production. As a committee, the team could make up for the loss of our LW's impact on the Offense. 

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Hudon - Couturier - Lehkonen
Byron - Danault - Hemsky
Martinsen - McCarron/Plekanec - Shaw

Mitchell 

I like the offensive potential of this lineup with potential goals from anywhere in the top-9, but don't fear the defensive component either, as long as the Galchenyuk line is used properly with mostly O-zone F/Os. The Couturier line, the Danault line and the McCarron/Plekanec lines can all play adequately against any of the opponents' lines without fear of them being overly exposed, IMHO. 

Of course, I'm not hiding the fact that Plekanec is no longer essential to this lineup, IMO. I prefer the toughness of Martinsen - McCarron - Shaw to Plekanec being inserted into the lineup at all if, at this stage, he must play the role of 4th line C.

Couturier is not my dream as an ideal solution for the Habs' C woes, but I'd certainly still do this. Too much gets solved in the process and more can be added to the Offense at a later date. There's still over 3Million left towards the Cap with a 1M IR buffer left aside. Pacioretty and Gostisbehere salaries cancel out and Couturier costs 4.33M off the 8.5M left over towards the Cap.
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
Gotisbehere was a healthy scratch at times last season was he not?
Thanks given by:
I read that he was. Don'T know the reason, though. Whatever it was didn't seem to affect his performance on the ice for long periods, though; 76GP. 7Gs, 32As, 39Ps.

However, he was -21 for the season. Still, I think that playing alongside Weber would help solve that spect of his game. Weber would be the last bastion of defence and would also coach him on the finer side of probabilities Happy
Thanks given by:
I do believe that PK Subban might have been a healthy scratch a time or two as well early in his career...
Maybe even Chris Pronger....
Thanks given by:

No way Philly does that return for C
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-11, 03:09 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote:

???

I think you mean there's no way PHI does this deal, but what, exactly, does this phrase mean? For certain? For Captain (meaning Pacioretty)? For Christ's sake?
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-11, 09:46 AM)habling Wrote: I do believe that PK Subban might have been a healthy scratch a time or two as well early in his career...
Maybe even Chris Pronger....

LOL

what a nonsense comment and comparison Gostisbehere will never even be in the top 20 for Norris consideration.
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-11, 03:36 PM)Scriptor Wrote:

???

I think you mean there's no way PHI does this deal, but what, exactly, does this phrase mean? For certain? For Captain (meaning Pacioretty)? For Christ's sake?

Relax I hit the return button instead of backspace and can't correct on my phone ....

C is for Couturier. That's not at all anywhere close of an equal return value on "C" aka Couturier
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-12, 09:27 AM)Haba-daba-do Wrote:
(2017-08-11, 03:36 PM)Scriptor Wrote:

???

Relax I hit the return button instead of backspace and can't correct on my phone ....

C is for Couturier. That's not at all anywhere close of an equal return value on "C" aka Couturier

Are you saying Pacioretty isn't worth Couturier? Or not both?
Thanks given by:
Why would we need Couturier? We have already Danault with similar stats.
"Only one thing matters in life, and it's the cup"  
                                            - Caresse Crosby

Thanks given by:
I wouldn't give Pacioretty straight up for Gostisbehere.
Thanks given by:
Yeah don't think Gost is worth that much. Gally and a 2nd pick might do it.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-12, 02:54 PM)Plummer Wrote: Yeah don't think Gost is worth that much.  Gally and a 2nd pick might do it.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Yeah, more something like that.
Thanks given by:
In line with Gostisbehere.....

Would Alex Goligoski be a good fit with Weber?
Might Anaheim part with Cam Fowler for what was mentioned in the original post?
Thanks given by:
Fowler would cost us Galchenyuk
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-13, 12:22 PM)Bong13 Wrote: Fowler would cost us Galchenyuk

Wouldn't do that.
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-13, 11:14 AM)habling Wrote: In line with Gostisbehere.....

Would Alex Goligoski be a good fit with Weber?
Might Anaheim part with Cam Fowler for what was mentioned in the original post?

Goligoski is even older than Weber. Not good as a medium to long term fix.
Thanks given by:
Not that Goligoski would be The Answer to the Habs' woes...
But might he be a Better Option then they currently have.
Goligoski at 32 yrs of age might have a few years in him and help the Habs in the here and now.
To tell the truth, I have no idea what Goligoski might have left in the tank, or if he is a capable Top Pair D-Man anymore.
Thanks given by: