Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2015/16 Hot Stove
hasn't been any BIG Free Agent signings yet...been a few trades...bunch of minor league deals...but thought I would start a thread to start talking about signings as they happen...GM meetings will be coming up soon, so action could pick up,

I know this isn't the Jays thread...but a few former Jays have new homes on minor league deals...

Steve Tolleson with the O's
Kyle Drabek with the Diamondbacks
Ricky Romero re-upped with the Giants
Phillipe Aumonte was a Jay for about a month last year, didn't pitch a game for them in the bigs or minors, but he is picked up by the White Sox

and finally..some non-Jay news...

M's picked up Chris Ianetta to be their catcher next year..
Thanks given by:
Interesting on Drabek - he really went from can't-miss to bust.

Dave Roberts hired as Dodgers manager.
Thanks given by:
It's funny how all three of Romero, Drabek and Aumonte were highly touted prospects at one point. It's also cute that Romero keeps getting job opportunities.

Sounds like Mark McGwire's moving on from the Dodgers to become the Padres bench coach.
Thanks given by:
Left unprotected and eligible in the Rule 5 draft is former Blue Jay prospect Alberto Tirado who was sent to the Phillies in the Revere trade. I doubt the Jays would target him since they'd need to keep him on the major league 40 man or otherwise return him to the Phillies.

But for those who haven't seen his slider, this gif is just ridiculous:

Thanks given by:
I don't know...I think it would be a smart pickup to grab him...

but small correction...he would have to be kept on the 25 man...not just the 40...on the 40, he can be hidden away in the minors still...25...he is up on the big club the whole year.
Thanks given by:
I had high hopes for Drabek a little while back
Thanks given by:
Whoops, yeah you're right about the 25 man roster. Problem with Tirado is that his control is nowhere near major league ready.. and may never be.
Thanks given by:
probably why Phillies thought it safe to keep him unprotected...does anyone want to take a chance on taking an arm that isn't ML ready...and have to keep him in the bigs....regardless of what potential upside he may have in the future.

and truth be told...we aren't talking a top prospect here in the first place.
Thanks given by:
Doesn't make sense for a team like the Jays who have postseason aspirations. And if I had to guess he probably doesn't get claimed at all. Maybe the Braves or Reds would have interest. But no one with a hope of being competitive in 2016 adds such a raw pitcher to their roster.
Thanks given by:
looks like its a done deal....Price to the Red Sox....217 over 7.
Thanks given by:
Richest contract for a pitcher ever. And, interestingly, $140M more than what the Red Sox offered Lester in 2014.

Also, Price's contract has an opt-out clause after 3 years according to Bob Nightengale.
Thanks given by:
Sucks that we have to face him, but in the long run, I'm happy we stayed away.

What an unbelievable sum of money.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
An opt out for Boston I'm presuming?

Thanks given by:
not that I wish any ill will on him, don't want him injured or anything...he is a genuinely nice guy...gave the Jays two great months...

...but I hope he flops in Boston Silly
Thanks given by:
(2015-12-01, 05:17 PM)BlueMountain Wrote: Sucks that we have to face him, but in the long run, I'm happy we stayed away.

What an unbelievable sum of money.

when Boston wins...they won't care about the money spent.

when we are watching Boston win...we will care about the money we didn't spend.
Thanks given by:
David KaplanVerified account
‏@thekapman
David Price does indeed go to highest bidder. Blue Jays were in it as were a few others but he is a Red Sox pitcher. 217 mill for 7 years.

Leo ‏@LeoSourou 19m19 minutes ago
@thekapman you know Toronto offered?

David Kaplan ‏@thekapman 18m18 minutes ago
@LeoSourou From a very good source, yes.
Thanks given by:
(2015-12-01, 05:16 PM)shadylane Wrote: Richest contract for a pitcher ever. And, interestingly, $140M more than what the Red Sox offered Lester in 2014.

Also, Price's contract has an opt-out clause after 3 years according to Bob Nightengale.

There's a really great article I'll try to find on all the money wasted during the whole Jon Lester saga. As much as I love this Price signing, the Sox could have avoided wasting a lot of money had they just not low-balled Lester last year
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
Now Greinke is apparently down to either the Dodgers or the Giants. Please don't be the Giants.
Thanks given by:
Really didn't want to see Price end up signing in Boston; Dodgers or Cardinals, I would've been fine with that.

Thank You David Price for you contributions to the Blue Jays in 2015.....
Thanks given by:
(2015-12-01, 05:17 PM)BlueMountain Wrote: An opt out for Boston I'm presuming?

I would assume it's for the player. Like Greinke's previous deal allowed for.
Thanks given by: