Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Non-Jays MLB season thread.
I must admit, this is pretty cool:

Thanks given by:
(2017-05-22, 03:29 PM)Canuxxx Wrote:
(2017-05-22, 01:47 PM)shadylane Wrote: I could see the Angels breaking the bank to make him a Halo for life. He’s such a cash cow that even a perceived “overpay” would probably still yield a positive financial return.

I don’t think the Angels are necessarily that far away from contending for a WC spot either. Some better health from the pitching staff this year and they look like a >.500 team to me. And if they ever decide to stop giving every day roles to horrible players like Espinosa and Valbuena, that would go a long way too.

That’s asking a lot from them considering their track record, I know. But at least it appears like there’s a path to not wasting Trout’s prime years if they choose to take it.

They're currently 1.5GB of the 2nd WC. Richards has made 1 start this year, Skaggs and Bedrosian have been out for over a month. Pujols has missed the last 3 games.

If they get all those guys back, there's no doubt that they can compete for a WC spot this year.

As for Trout - Moreno i'm sure would do everything he can to make Trout a Halo for life. There's no doubt. The fact that we're even talking about trading the guy is stupid. Would the Oilers ever trade Connor McDavid?

The Oilers are primed to be a contender now with a young team surrounding McDavid.

The Angels aren't exactly bursting with young talent and have the worst farm system in the game.

Obviously free agency can change things, but it would seem some outside of the box thinking might be necessary for them.
Thanks given by:
(2017-05-22, 02:55 PM)Chris D Wrote: To be fair, it's not from lack of trying.  Trout, Pujols, and Hamilton we're supposed to be an unstoppable murderers row...weren't betting on Hamilton to be the biggest bust in the history of the game.

Every team tries. The question is are they trying in a way that might actually work. And signing aging/declining players to huge contracts is not really a way that works all that well.

and it would be one thing if they had a plan that just didnt work out. but the Angels generally seem to operate by having a GM who tried to build a team and then Arte Moreno gets a hard-on for a particular player and drives a dump truck of money to that players house with zero regard for anything else and torpedoes any plan that was in place. I'm not really sure that is worth any kind of praise, even for "trying".
Thanks given by:
(2017-05-22, 07:51 PM)Unreal Wrote:
(2017-05-22, 01:47 PM)shadylane Wrote: I could see the Angels breaking the bank to make him a Halo for life. He’s such a cash cow that even a perceived “overpay” would probably still yield a positive financial return.

I don’t think the Angels are necessarily that far away from contending for a WC spot either. Some better health from the pitching staff this year and they look like a >.500 team to me. And if they ever decide to stop giving every day roles to horrible players like Espinosa and Valbuena, that would go a long way too.

That’s asking a lot from them considering their track record, I know. But at least it appears like there’s a path to not wasting Trout’s prime years if they choose to take it.

They're currently 1.5GB of the 2nd WC. Richards has made 1 start this year, Skaggs and Bedrosian have been out for over a month. Pujols has missed the last 3 games.

If they get all those guys back, there's no doubt that they can compete for a WC spot this year.

As for Trout - Moreno i'm sure would do everything he can to make Trout a Halo for life. There's no doubt. The fact that we're even talking about trading the guy is stupid. Would the Oilers ever trade Connor McDavid?

The Oilers are primed to be a contender now with a young team surrounding McDavid.

The Angels aren't exactly bursting with young talent and have the worst farm system in the game.

Obviously free agency can change things, but it would seem some outside of the box thinking might be necessary for them.
I agree. The comparison to the Oilers is a big swing and a miss. The Angels have a horrendous farm system, and the young talent on the roster is a huge question mark because they haven't been able to stay healthy. They've been mediocre mostly when they have been healthy too.
Thanks given by:
What on earth has happened to Andrew McCutchen? He's hitting .200 now. He's basically an automatic out in the Bucs already abysmal lineup.

Washington dodged a HUGE bullet by not acquiring him in the off season
Thanks given by:
(2017-05-23, 07:39 PM)thebest41587 Wrote:
(2017-05-22, 07:51 PM)Unreal Wrote:

I agree. The comparison to the Oilers is a big swing and a miss. The Angels have a horrendous farm system, and the young talent on the roster is a huge question mark because they haven't been able to stay healthy. They've been mediocre mostly when they have been healthy too.

cbssports tackled the angels awful lineup surrounding Trout.  Getting close to all-time worst

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mike-t...a-new-one/
Thanks given by:
As of this week Trout has passed 50 career WAR. That puts him ahead of;

Jim Rice
David Ortiz
Luis Aparicio
Ralph Kiner
Nellie Fox
Bert Campaneris
Kirby Puckett
Carlos Delgado
Bernie Williams
Lou Brock

Mike Trout is 25 years old.
Thanks given by:
He has another 50 WAR in him...should pass 100 easy.

Despite his youth though...think he will be hard pressed to catch Babe and his 183.
Thanks given by:
Man the Mariners are awful!  Laugh

Thanks given by:
a little short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHhHP0p1vw4
Thanks given by: