Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018/2019 Expectations
What are your expectations for the upcoming season (barring any more moves)?

Obviously, Leonard > DeRozan. But there was a coaching change and the Raptors had their most successful regular season ever last season, so I think it's a lot to ask for them to match their season last year. 

I think the Raptors are a really difficult team to gage. Kawhi was arguably the best player in the NBA two years ago, but even despite his UFA status next off-season you have to question his commitment level to the team. I'm sure he alone is going to win them games in the regular season, but is he really gonna go that extra mile in a tight playoff series to push the Raptors through to the next round? He's going to be the anchor and the guy they are relying on. Is there going to be a question of loyalty from some of the other players too, such as Kyle Lowry? I think he's a professional and will play hard, but who knows. 

The bench is deep, and though I think the loss of Poeltl will be felt harder than most are expecting, I also think Siakam, Anunoby, Wright, and FVV are going to continue to make strides forward. 

They've got two great spot shooters in Danny Green and CJ Miles, and Green has playoff pedigree so that could impact the team positively. He was a nice addition to this team.

I can see the Raptors being anywhere from the best team in the East to a 5-6 seed. There's lots of question marks, and though the talent is clearly there, there may be a learning curve with a new head coach (even though he was previously the assistant) and the addition of Leonard.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
I think they will win the east, 1 playoff round, and be beaten by Philly or Boston.
That is most likely best case scenario.

It's just as possible, as you mentioned, that they do not gel very well with DeRo gone and a new coach.

All I know is they do not have a team good enough for a ring.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
Anything less than 4th in the East would be disappointing for me.

Looking forward to seeing CJ Miles get even better as a shooter.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-02, 10:37 PM)bicboi Wrote: Anything less than 4th in the East would be disappointing for me.

I think they will be either 2nd.
4th would be a terrible season for them with this lineup.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
If they aren't Top 3, that would be disappointing. A 2nd round playoff exit again would also be disappointing.

Right now I predict 2nd place in the East and a Boston/Toronto East final. With an edge to Boston.
Thanks given by:
A Boston team without their top stars managed to almost beat Lebron and the Cavs but a healthy Raptors team couldn't.I think it will be
1Boston
2)Bucks,Phily
3)Washington
4)Bucks,Phily
5)Pistions,Raptors

it comes down how health Leonard is.Raptors lost their Coach and star player.
People said I was dumb but I proved them. Fry from Futurama 
Good Day and Good Mental Health Frasier
Thanks given by:
They will win the east.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-03, 09:45 AM)Chip Wrote:
(2018-08-02, 10:37 PM)bicboi Wrote: Anything less than 4th in the East would be disappointing for me.

I think they will be either 2nd.
4th would be a terrible season for them with this lineup.

Thing is, Philly and Boston is going to only get better so i can deal with them not winning the division or top 3
Thanks given by:
Raps just got Greg Monroe. An off the bench option centre who's reliable for a few rebounds per game. $2.2 million
Thanks given by: thebest41587
Yeah I like this a lot actually. He's only 28. Averages 14 and 9 for his career in 29 minutes. Is a decent passer for a Bigman too, averaged nearly 4 assists one year in Detroit.

Puts less pressure on Ibaka too, and gives them a different look. Monroe has no outside game unlike Ibaka. And he can fill in if (when) JV gets in foul trouble.
Thanks given by:
I think the Raps will miss Derozan more than other people think they will.

However...they should still be competing for tops in the East. I don't think they finish worse than 3rd (in points...not necessarily seeding)
Thanks given by:
Monroe is a great addition.

So much depends on Leonard's health, and of course, chemistry.

Looking at this season alone, Ujiri did give them their best chance to win with this core - for that he deserves credit.

At their best, I could see them challenging for the #1 seed.
Thanks given by:
I don’t think I share the same optimism as you guys with the Monroe signing. Granted he’s a bench player and he’s not likely to play a huge role, but true low post players are becoming near extinct in today’s NBA. He’s slow and has virtually no scoring range. He’s a good passer, but he’s not a great defender and that’s where I would have put my focus when looking for a backup centre.

I was excited when the Celtics got him last year, but he was hardly used and it was easy to see why. He’s not old, but he looks really old out there. I’m not familiar with what centres are still available, but I think I would have tried to find a younger, more athletic player.

At the end of the day, it’s a signing for the bench and it’s not going to have a huge impact either way.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by: