Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018-2019 Raptors Season
Ibaka has turned things around nicely too...he was so bad last year, wasn't sure what to expect this year.

Not to mention, JV accepting his basically platoon role, and playing well with limited minutes.
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-05, 11:13 PM)Chris D Wrote: another easy victory tonight...this time against the Jazz.

after a tight first quarter...D turned it up the next 2, and Raps are cruising to a comfortable victory.

We're getting scoring from everywhere. I was listening to this via radio and heard 6 players scored double digits and that ball movement was fluid. Apparently it was hard for the Jazz to isolate any one player on D. Loving Nick Nurse's coaching so far
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
another game...another W.

not the best game played...but they held off the Kings, didn't break under Kings pressure. 9 pt win.

sweep the Western trip. Not bad at all.

Siakum, Ibaka, JV...all putting up good numbers again...Lowry misses out on his double double, 2 short of 10 assists, which would have been a team record.

gotta say, may be in the minority, but, haven't been impressed by Leonard. He put up 25 pts, but 9 of those were free throws. Still not seeing him dominate a game. Meanwhile, Derozan is having a career year.

anyway...11-1...not in my wildest, did I think they would come out of the gates like this. And there is still room for improvement, truth be told...they are pretty bad with their 3 pt attempts, and they are letting teams stay in games. They are getting their wins...but not in dominant fashion.
Thanks given by:
Watched them for the full game last night. Very impressed. Four game West coast swing is tough on players, but they were mentally very strong I thought.
Gave up a ton of turnovers early, but clawed their way back in with some good defence and excellent rebounding. I really think this group of players are working as a team with Leonard and a number of other players, like Siakum really improving. Leonard doesn't seem to be too focused on getting the shot hmself, he dishes it off very freely.

As mentioned by Chris D, the three point percentage is pretty poor, so if that can improve and it can I think, then they can be out of sight in most games.
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-08, 12:35 AM)Chris D Wrote: another game...another W.  

not the best game played...but they held off the Kings, didn't break under Kings pressure.  9 pt win.

sweep the Western trip.  Not bad at all.

Siakum, Ibaka, JV...all putting up good numbers again...Lowry misses out on his double double, 2 short of 10 assists, which would have been a team record.

gotta say, may be in the minority, but, haven't been impressed by Leonard.  He put up 25 pts, but 9 of those were free throws.  Still not seeing him dominate a game.  Meanwhile, Derozan is having a career year.

anyway...11-1...not in my wildest, did I think they would come out of the gates like this.  And there is still room for improvement, truth be told...they are pretty bad with their 3 pt attempts, and they are letting teams stay in games.  They are getting their wins...but not in dominant fashion.

Actually, it would've extended his team record.

Leonard has impressed me - he had some giveaways last night, but for a guy who hasn't played in a year his overall game is fantastic. His defense is as great as advertised, which is what really sets him apart. His PER is 7th in the NBA.

If this is a rusty Leonard after one year off, I imagine he'll be in Top 3 form as the mid season approaches.
Thanks given by:
The Raptors clearly don't need Kawhi Leonard to make the playoffs. Maybe not even to finish first in the East. But they Will need a Leonard in top form in order to get to the NBA Finals for the first time in team history. And there's no reason that shouldn't be their realistic goal.
---
Give Marc Bergevin some credit.
(He'll pay you back with -10% interest.)
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-08, 03:39 PM)Unreal Wrote:

not the best game played...but they held off the Kings, didn't break under Kings pressure.  9 pt win.

gotta say, may be in the minority, but, haven't been impressed by Leonard.  He put up 25 pts, but 9 of those were free throws.  Still not seeing him dominate a game.  Meanwhile, Derozan is having a career year.

anyway...11-1...not in my wildest, did I think they would come out of the gates like this.  And there is still room for improvement, truth be told...they are pretty bad with their 3 pt attempts, and they are letting teams stay in games.  They are getting their wins...but not in dominant fashion.

Leonard has impressed me - he had some giveaways last night, but for a guy who hasn't played in a year his overall game is fantastic. His defense is as great as advertised, which is what really sets him apart. His PER is 7th in the NBA.

If this is a rusty Leonard after one year off, I imagine he'll be in Top 3 form as the mid season approaches.

You can probably make an argument he's the best player in the NBA. There's no player in the league who impacts the game at both ends as greatly as he does. He's also not a ball-dominant player such as LeBron, and so he's effective in a variety of roles. 

If I was picking a player in the NBA to lead my team to a title this year it would be Kawhi, no questions asked.
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-09, 08:39 AM)encore Wrote:
(2018-11-08, 03:39 PM)Unreal Wrote:

You can probably make an argument he's the best player in the NBA. There's no player in the league who impacts the game at both ends as greatly as he does. He's also not a ball-dominant player such as LeBron, and so he's effective in a variety of roles. 

If I was picking a player in the NBA to lead my team to a title this year it would be Kawhi, no questions asked.

I have great news! If you make the Raptors your team this dream will come true, INSTANTLY!
Thanks given by:
Another game, another win.

16 pt win over the Knicks.

Another win, that they actually didn't look that good...they just worked hard enough to keep ahead.
Thanks given by:
After 13 games, who expected 12-1? I thought they'd be closer to 8-5 trying to gel.
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-11, 01:23 AM)teamblue Wrote: After 13 games, who expected 12-1? I thought they'd be closer to 8-5 trying to gel.

They'll have a rough patch, but these early wins while teams are learning to play with one another could be the difference between first and fourth in the East. Considering the significant changes the Raptors went through this off-season I expected them to be one of the teams trying to gel, but it's a testament to how good Kawhi Leonard is and how strong their depth is.
Thanks given by:
It's also a testament to how well Lowry is playing.

They've also seen significant growth from players like Siakam.

As a centre tandem, JV and Ibaka are probably one of the best in the league.
Thanks given by: FormalWare
Raps down by 5 to the Pelicans at the half..."lost" both quarters so far.
Thanks given by:
Siakam is the NBA Player of the Week. Well-deserved.
---
Thanks given by:
1st home loss of the season. They just didn't seem to have it.
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-12, 10:22 PM)Unreal Wrote: 1st home loss of the season. They just didn't seem to have it.

Rebound differential was atrocious. Yet, if they had shot the ball halfway decently, they still might have won.
---
Thanks given by:
40.2 percent field goal percentage...and an atrocious 13 for 45 (28 percent) for three.

Shooting did them in, while everything seemed to drop for the Pelicans.

Lowry, Green, and JV all ineffective.

Tough home loss to take.
Thanks given by:
Shit.

Buzzer beater loss to the Pistons...after leading by 19.

Shooting went cold...again.

Kept giving the ball to Leonard...and he kept failing.
Thanks given by:
Crappy loss. Really should've had that one being up by 19.

No Green, Miles, Ibaka and Powell really hurt.
Thanks given by:
4 of 20 from 3 pt land.

Raps are going to have more close losses like this...they have been lucky with some close wins up to now.
Thanks given by: