Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019/20 NHL Season - News and Notes
Well, 2018/19 is over and now teams are preparing for 2019/20 and the future.

Buyouts can start after midnight tonight - speculation on some big names like Phaneuf and Perry being bought out.

First round of the draft is next Friday, the 21st.

First post-cup trade happened today with Washington sending Niskanen to Philly for Gudas - Philly retained 30% of Gudas' contract - just over $1M per season.

Seems like a pure cap dump for Washington.
Thanks given by: Ryu65
These dates are always good to know:

Thanks given by:
Very good trade for both sides. Caps get some breathing room and a decent defender, Flyers get some much needed veteran leadership.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
5$ X $5.5M for Eberle - full NTC for 2 years and modified for the last 3 (16 team list).

I was willing to kick the tires on Eberle at $4M with maybe a 3 year term. I anticipated that he'd get a bit more but, even with his playoff heater, his recent play simply does not justify that contract, in my opinion.

I didn't realize that he had almost 60 points the year prior, I thought he struggled more offensively that year as well, however, 37 points in a full season - will he bounce back? Maybe but its no certainty at 29 years of age.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 12:04 PM)Pouzar Wrote: $5M X 5.5M for Eberle - full NTC for 2 years and modified for the last 3 (16 team list).

I was willing to kick the tires on Eberle at $4M with maybe a 3 year term. I anticipated that he'd get a bit more but, even with his playoff heater, his recent play simply does not justify that contract, in my opinion.

I didn't realize that he had almost 60 points the year prior, I thought he struggled more offensively that year as well, however, 37 points in a full season - will he bounce back? Maybe but its no certainty at 29 years of age.

Good on the Isles for not giving him 7 years. I don't think he'll produce enough to warrant the contract for the majority of it but ya never know.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 12:04 PM)Pouzar Wrote: $5M X 5.5M for Eberle - full NTC for 2 years and modified for the last 3 (16 team list).

I was willing to kick the tires on Eberle at $4M with maybe a 3 year term.  I anticipated that he'd get a bit more but, even with his playoff heater, his recent play simply does not justify that contract, in my opinion.

I didn't realize that he had almost 60 points the year prior, I thought he struggled more offensively that year as well, however, 37 points in a full season - will he bounce back?  Maybe but its no certainty at 29 years of age.

So you mean 5 years at 5.5?
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 01:26 PM)Ryu65 Wrote:

I was willing to kick the tires on Eberle at $4M with maybe a 3 year term.  I anticipated that he'd get a bit more but, even with his playoff heater, his recent play simply does not justify that contract, in my opinion.

I didn't realize that he had almost 60 points the year prior, I thought he struggled more offensively that year as well, however, 37 points in a full season - will he bounce back?  Maybe but its no certainty at 29 years of age.

Nope, 5.5 years.  Halfway through that season, Eberle is out.
Thanks given by: Bong13
Oooops......
Thanks given by:
Eberle & Skinner haven't even played a minute under their new deals but they're both already horrible contracts that the Canes & Islanders will be looking to unload after a few seasons.

That said, I would still trade Lucic for Eberle & his new contract
Thanks given by:
After this signing it makes me wonder what Anders Lee will get if he signs there.
 23 more years.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 02:20 PM)CTS Wrote: Eberle & Skinner haven't even played a minute under their new deals but they're both already horrible contracts that the Canes & Islanders will be looking to unload after a few seasons.

That said, I would still trade Lucic for Eberle & his new contract

That’s a super sweet deal for Skinner signing with 2 teams.

These contracts will not hurt these teams cap wise.
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 01:29 PM)Fritz Wrote:
(2019-06-14, 01:26 PM)Ryu65 Wrote:

Nope, 5.5 years.  Halfway through that season, Eberle is out.

Well, it is the Islanders right.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 04:00 PM)Bong13 Wrote:
(2019-06-14, 02:20 PM)CTS Wrote: Eberle & Skinner haven't even played a  minute under their new deals but they're both already horrible contracts that the Canes & Islanders will be looking to unload after a few seasons.

That said,  I would still trade Lucic for Eberle & his new contract

That’s a super sweet deal for Skinner signing with 2 teams

AND he's a principal at a highschool in Springfield, what a hard working man he is.
Thanks given by: Bong13
Does make me wonder if at some point in the near future if more teams will stop giving out ridiculous money... well, I mean give out way less ridiculous amounts to the stars.

Now I dont mean the young stars, I'm talking those above 30 who are more seasoned vets.
cfl
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-14, 04:00 PM)Bong13 Wrote:
(2019-06-14, 02:20 PM)CTS Wrote: Eberle & Skinner haven't even played a  minute under their new deals but they're both already horrible contracts that the Canes & Islanders will be looking to unload after a few seasons.

That said,  I would still trade Lucic for Eberle & his new contract

That’s a super sweet deal for Skinner signing with 2 teams.

All these bad deals add up & hurt teams.   Not sure how that's even debatable?    

Remember last year when you thought the James Neal contract was a great signing & I said it was terrible?

The Flames already trying to get out from under that disaster after 1 year! Now they'll have to deal 1 of their D men like Brodie or Hamonic to sign Tkachuk. Free agency is the most regrettable time of the year for teams. Remember 2016 & all the big deals over aged, past their prime players signed? Every single team trying to unload them now
Thanks given by:
Players are going to get raises, this is normal, a 5 million a year contract isn't really worth what it used to be, especially when RFA's are getting what they've been getting. Times have changed, time to accept that.
Thanks given by:
The thing is, there is a finite amount of money that cap be spent on player salaries each year.

The new world is to pay RFAs bigger money for their 20s, in particular the elite RFAs. As part of this restructuring of salaries, cap hit has to come down somewhere else and, in my opinion, it needs to be a the non-elite UFA level (yes, the Tavares type UFAs will get paid for their 30s but the Jordan Eberle's and Milan Lucic' should not).
Thanks given by:
Got this from TSN app

According to Philadelphia Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher, the team has placed Andrew MacDonald on unconditional waivers for the purpose of buying out his contract.

MacDonald, 32, was heading into the last season of a six-year, $30 million contract with a cap hit of $5 million. He was also placed on waivers by the Flyers during the 2015-16 season.

He appeared in 47 games with the Flyers this season, recording nine assists.

MacDonald was drafted by the New York Islanders in the sixth round (160th overall) at the 2006 NHL Draft. He was dealt to Philadelphia on March 4, 2014.
WE TRUE NORTH STRONG AND FREE
Thanks given by:
Buying out a player with 1 year remaining is just dumb. Makes no sense. Bury him in the minors & bite the bullet
Thanks given by:
Kings have bought out Phaneuf. Some of the buyout cost will hit the team retaining on him - Sens right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: