Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
According to Woj, Raps about to acquire Kawhi
Sounds like it’s a package around DeRozan, with some key young pieces like OG and maybe some picks involved. It’s highly likely this would just be a rental, as it’s also being reported that Kawhi doesn’t want to play in Toronto. Masai might be looking at this move as a way of opening up cap space next offseason to sign a big name in free agency. There is some irony though in that for the longest time the Raptors had difficulty attracting big name players to Toronto, and when they finally find one to sign long term, they trade him. I doubt Kawhi will be a Raptor for more than a year. 

DeRozan is none too happy as he’s been posting to his Instagram story feelings of betrayal. 

Anyway, sounds like we’ve seen the last of Derozan in a Raptors jersey. I’m sure this season will be entertaining with the media circus surrounding Kawhi.
Thanks given by:
Oh, I saw his Insta-story - wild stuff.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-18, 06:24 AM)Pouzar Wrote: Oh, I saw his Insta-story - wild stuff.

Not sure I’ve seen it happen where both key players in a trade are upset with the move.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-18, 06:28 AM)encore Wrote:

Not sure I’ve seen it happen where both key players in a trade are upset with the move.

Crazy stuff.. like it or not but time for change..regardless if we only get one yr of KL.. and yes DD has been loyal and all etc etc. The reality is so has been the team (loyal) to both their all stars for the last 4 years regardless of their playoff performance. This gives us felixiabilty for a rebuild when KL leaves
Thanks given by:
Sounds like Danny Green is involved. One of the best role playing spot up shooters in the league. Good addition.
Thanks given by:
Kawhi, Green for Derozan, Poeltl, and a protected 2019 first. OG not being involved is big. Still a big risky trade, but Raptors fans should be relieved that OG isn’t going anywhere.

From Masai’s perspective, this is a win-win. He likely wanted DD’s contract off the books, which he’s done, and he’s now acquired a top 5 superstar who may or may not re-sign. Regardless though, they can utilize the saved cap space by either signing Kawhi or someone else. Even if Kawhi leaves, I don’t think this trade is awful as cap space is crucially important, and that’s something Toronto didn’t have with Derozan. If they can somehow convince Kawhi to stay, which I’m not expecting, this will be looked at as a huge steal on the Raptors part.
Thanks given by:
I would’ve preferred that they traded Lowry instead. DeRozen should’ve been a Raptor for life. Maybe the Spurs weren’t interested in Lowry? I’m glad they kept OG.
Thanks given by:
Kawhi has already sat out a season because he didn't want to be where he was. Will be interesting to see if he tries that again.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-18, 09:07 AM)Gus Wrote: I would’ve preferred that they traded Lowry instead.  DeRozen should’ve been a Raptor for life.  Maybe the Spurs weren’t interested in Lowry? I’m glad they kept OG.

The Spurs were one of the rumoured teams interested in Lowry last off season so I thought he’d be the one leaving. I guess they are pretty high on Murray at PG though.
Thanks given by:
I would've preferred Lowry in the deal as well. 4 years older I believe, and VanVleet is probably starting caliber.
Thanks given by:
Man this is a far bigger deal than the Tavares signing. Kawhi is a much bigger star than Tavares too. You wouldn't know that he's been traded to the Raptors though unless you have twitter. When the Tavares news broke, it was all over on TV.

Thanks given by:
(2018-07-18, 09:52 AM)Canuxxx Wrote: Man this is a far bigger deal than the Tavares signing. Kawhi is a much bigger star than Tavares too. You wouldn't know that he's been traded to the Raptors though unless you have twitter. When the Tavares news broke, it was all over on TV.

Leafs are a bigger deal in Toronto/Canada then the Raps.
Thanks given by:
I wonder if players will be lobbying for changes to the no trade clause during the next CBA negotiations.

Thanks given by:
(2018-07-18, 06:28 AM)encore Wrote:

heh, so true
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-18, 08:00 AM)encore Wrote: Kawhi, Green for Derozan, Poeltl, and a protected 2019 first. OG not being involved is big. Still a big risky trade, but Raptors fans should be relieved that OG isn’t going anywhere.

From Masai’s perspective, this is a win-win. He likely wanted DD’s contract off the books, which he’s done, and he’s now acquired a top 5 superstar who may or may not re-sign. Regardless though, they can utilize the saved cap space by either signing Kawhi or someone else. Even if Kawhi leaves, I don’t think this trade is awful as cap space is crucially important, and that’s something Toronto didn’t have with Derozan. If they can somehow convince Kawhi to stay, which I’m not expecting, this will be looked at as a huge steal on the Raptors part.

Leonard, when healthy, is a superstar. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing whether he'll be healthy this year, nor if he'll wan to stick around.

DeRozan is certainly not a superstar, but it's still too bad he was involved. He loves the team and city and wanted to be a Raptor for life.

That's one aspect of this that could really blow up in the Raptors faces - if Leonard ends up being a malcontent who doesn't stick around, the optics won't look great when you moved a fan favourite who was devoted to the team to get him.

Also liked Poeltl, but better him than OG or Siakam.  The Top 20 protected 1st is also a win, as it becomes two 2nd round picks if the Raptors use it this year.

(2018-07-18, 09:17 AM)thebest41587 Wrote: Kawhi has already sat out a season because he didn't want to be where he was. Will be interesting to see if he tries that again.

Wasn't that because of his injury?
Thanks given by:
Kawhi has no desire to be a Raptor.   Is that the best idea acquiring a player who could be a malcontent?

Huge gamble.   Maybe he has a change of heart in a year like Paul George did with OKC,  but if not,  Raptors could be looking at rebuilding
Thanks given by: ckendall
Report: Raptors agree to trade DeMar DeRozan to Spurs for Kawhi Leonard

The Toronto Raptors have agreed to trade DeMar DeRozan to the San Antonio Spurs in exchange for Kawhi Leonard, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski and Chris Haynes.

Danny Green is also heading to Toronto with the Raptors shipping Jakob Poeltl and a protected 2019 first-round draft pick to San Antonio in the blockbuster.

The Spurs had been underwhelmed by offers from other teams. Given Leonard’s impending free agency, other teams in trade talks like Philadelphia, Boston, and Portland were all reportedly unwilling to include an all-star calibre player in trade offers, which led the Raptors to take pole position in negotiations with San Antonio.

The report also states that neither Leonard nor DeRozan are “expressing enthusiasm” about the trade.

Wojnarowksi reports that DeRozan and longtime teammate Kyle Lowry spoke earlier this morning.

According to Haynes, sources close to DeRozan have said that Raptors brass met with their all-star guard in Las Vegas during Summer League and told him he would not be dealt.

Early morning Wednesday, DeRozan posted some vague messaging to his Instagram account. The notes began with: “Told one thing & the outcome another. Ain’t no loyalty in this game. Sell you out quick for a little bit of nothing…”

DeRozan is coming off his third straight all-star campaign for the Raptors, averaging 23 points and a career-best 5.2 assists per game. He was named to the All-NBA second team for the first time in his career after helping lead Toronto to its best regular season in franchise history, culminating in a franchise-record 59 wins and the No. 1 seed in the East.

Leonard appeared in just nine games last season due to a nagging right quad injury. Disputes over the diagnosis, recovery timeline, and subsequent treatment of the injury between Spurs team doctors and Leonard’s private doctors helped drive a spike through the all-star’s relationship with the team.

Leonard has a player option in his contract following next season, making him one of the biggest targets in the 2019 free-agent class, should he opt out. It is widely believed that he prefers to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers next summer, so selling Leonard on a long-term future in Toronto will be one of Masai Ujiri and the Raptors’ top priorities.

The 27-year-old forward was named Finals MVP in 2014 after winning the championship with San Antonio. He is a two-time Defensive Player of the Year Award winner (2015, 2016), and was the NBA’s MVP runner-up in 2016.

So they traded a healthy, loyal ALL Star for a broken down former All Star?

They lied to their star player.

Leonard does NOT want to play in Toronto and will leave after one season. (wonder if he plays more than nine games)

Raptors "WON" this bidding war because they OVERPAID. Others teams had more sense.

BAD DEAL
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-18, 10:23 AM)Unreal Wrote:
(2018-07-18, 08:00 AM)encore Wrote: Kawhi, Green for Derozan, Poeltl, and a protected 2019 first. OG not being involved is big. Still a big risky trade, but Raptors fans should be relieved that OG isn’t going anywhere.

Leonard, when healthy, is a superstar. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing whether he'll be healthy this year, nor if he'll wan to stick around.

DeRozan is certainly not a superstar, but it's still too bad he was involved. He loves the team and city and wanted to be a Raptor for life.

That's one aspect of this that could really blow up in the Raptors faces - if Leonard ends up being a malcontent who doesn't stick around, the optics won't look great when you moved a fan favourite who was devoted to the team to get him.

Also liked Poeltl, but better him than OG or Siakam.  The Top 20 protected 1st is also a win, as it becomes two 2nd round picks if the Raptors use it this year.

(2018-07-18, 09:17 AM)thebest41587 Wrote: Kawhi has already sat out a season because he didn't want to be where he was. Will be interesting to see if he tries that again.

Wasn't that because of his injury?
Started out that way, didn't end that way.
Thanks given by:
Not sure what the end goal Ujiri has with this deal. No way in hell Leonard remains a raptor, so I guess it's a rebuild.

Clearly Lowry and DD had reached their ceiling. Lowry will probably follow out the door soon enough.

It's too bad because Leonard when healthy is probably a top 5 player in the league.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-18, 11:26 AM)Stevie_Y Wrote: Not sure what the end goal Ujiri has with this deal. No way in hell Leonard remains a raptor, so I guess it's a rebuild.

Clearly Lowry and DD had reached their ceiling. Lowry will probably follow out the door soon enough.

It's too bad because Leonard when healthy is probably a top 5 player in the league.

When healthy he"s the 2nd best player in the league.

Thanks given by: