Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
According to Woj, Raps about to acquire Kawhi
All told, this sounds like a very risky gamble on the Raptors' part...& the Raptors aren't exactly notorious for making risky or bold moves.

For this deal to work for the Raptors, Kawhi has to come back healthy & hearty...he only appeared in 19 games last year. And by the end of last season it was clear he wasn't going to return to San Antonio. Popp really doesn't take kindly to players who display a rather malcontent attitude.

If, and we should stress IF, Kawhi returns to play to his potential, this could potentially be a steal of a trade for the Raps.

BUT

The dogging question remains: does Kawhi actually want to come to Toronto? There are indications that he could sit out, that he's not happy about being traded to Toronto. Then again...considering the way he 'bailed' on the Spurs of all teams, this is something the Raps are going to have to figure out to combat eventually. Masai is probably going to have to pull Kawhi aside & see for certain if the player he just acquired really wants to commit to Toronto. For as long as this continues to linger, it could be a cloud that hovers over the organization until they know for sure what Kawhi's true intentions are.

And trading away one of your most recognizable & popular players is a risk at anytime.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-18, 05:27 PM)ckendall Wrote: All told, this sounds like a very risky gamble on the Raptors' part...& the Raptors aren't exactly notorious for making risky or bold moves.

For this deal to work for the Raptors, Kawhi has to come back healthy & hearty...he only appeared in 19 games last year. And by the end of last season it was clear he wasn't going to return to San Antonio. Popp really doesn't take kindly to players who display a rather malcontent attitude.

If, and we should stress IF, Kawhi returns to play to his potential, this could potentially be a steal of a trade for the Raps.

BUT

The dogging question remains: does Kawhi actually want to come to Toronto? There are indications that he could sit out, that he's not happy about being traded to Toronto. Then again...considering the way he 'bailed' on the Spurs of all teams, this is something the Raps are going to have to figure out to combat eventually. Masai is probably going to have to pull Kawhi aside & see for certain if the player he just acquired really wants to commit to Toronto. For as long as this continues to linger, it could be a cloud that hovers over the organization until they know for sure what Kawhi's true intentions are.

And trading away one of your most recognizable & popular players is a risk at anytime.

Good points.

From Ujiri's perspective, however, this potentially gives you the best chance to win during the current core's competitive window, which closes in a few years.

By acquiring Leonard you potentially give this core the absolute best chance it has to win during this competitive window. You may reduce it by a year, but ultimately this group had reached it's ceiling. It's now or never. They probably have to rebuild after this window anyways.

Dealing guys like Lowry and Ibaka becomes a lot easier with just a year left on their deal. If you let their contracts expire they have a large amount of cap space to work with in 2019.

DeRozan is hard to lose - likeable and dedicated.  But he's simply not a superstar player.  He's a 2nd tier star with obvious limits. For all the talk about him becoming a three point threat, he was a 28% shooter at that range outside of a hot December/January (and even then he was at just 31% for the season). With DeRozan able to opt out in two years (which he's almost guaranteed to do) is he a player you'd commit to long term when he's in his 30s? The reality is that they were probably going to move on in the next few years.

Leonard is a huge wildcard, but even if he doesn't want to stay there's a chance they can move him at the deadline (or perhaps earlier).

This is a big gamble by Ujiri, but at worst it accelerates a rebuild process without giving up a significant 1st round pick (or possibly no 1st round pick at all) and allows them to keep their best young players.

On a lot of levels it seems to make more sense than it initially did on the surface.
Thanks given by:
If he actually did sit out the year & the Raptors don't trade him,  wouldn't his contract automatically roll over next year?

Like Alexei Yashin with Ottawa years ago
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-18, 06:20 PM)CTS Wrote: If he actually did sit out the year & the Raptors don't trade him,  wouldn't his contract automatically roll over next year?

Like Alexei Yashin with Ottawa years ago

That's what I wondered as well. It would be an unprecendented move. So I don't know if they have anything in the CBA about it or not.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-18, 09:52 AM)Canuxxx Wrote: Man this is a far bigger deal than the Tavares signing. Kawhi is a much bigger star than Tavares too. You wouldn't know that he's been traded to the Raptors though unless you have twitter. When the Tavares news broke, it was all over on TV.

LOL

Yuuuup! sure is.

TWO difference tho

Leafs didnt give anything up for a player who WANTS to play in TO

Raps gave up a player, a prospect and a protected 1st round pick for a guy who could be sitting out the whole year

Yepp bigger then the tavares deal hahahaha Wink

Dont expect no less from a nucker fan

signed in just to say that

JUST SAYIN' Happy
Thanks given by:
It is a bigger deal than the Tavares signing. Why? because this instantly makes the Raptors a LEGIT contender unlike the Leafs. Why? because the NBA is a superstars league. All you need is that one superstar player -- and Kawhi is a true superstar player. I wouldn't expect you to know that though.

And as for the players that the Raptors gave up? they just gave up the most overrated player in basketball, a backup C, and likely a late 1st. So in other words, not much.

What are you going to say next, Tavares is a bigger star than Kawhi? LOL. Believe me it's not close.

Thanks given by:
Tavares is a way bigger star than Kawhi in Canada. We're a hockey mad country, the hockey story will always be the bigger deal like it or not.
Thanks given by:
I just can't believe Leonard is actually considering sitting out. He's clearly getting crap advice. Hey Kawhi the number one reason you're not in LA now is that you openly said you want to go there so of course they were not going to pay for you now since they could get you for free next summer. Blame yourself and your dumb management for not orchestrating this correctly.

As for playing in Toronto, what is the big deal??? I live in Mtl and I think it is a nice city. Honestly, how many NBA cities in the US are nicer than Toronto? I don't think there are even 10 you can debate.

For a least year before FA I can't imagine a much better situation than this. Best player now in the East on arguably the best team in a weak conference. He has a huge opportunity to light it up and be the man in the East. If he comes back to normal, he's one of the favorites for MVP and probably would win it with the West candidates cancelling each other out.

If Leonard decides not to show up in TO he's an idiot and/or a POS. We'll see...
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-19, 10:42 AM)Gus Wrote: Tavares is a way bigger star than Kawhi in Canada.  We're a hockey mad country, the hockey story will always be the bigger deal like it or not.

Tavares is a way bigger star than Kawhi in Canada. That is true. I'm talkin about GLOBALLY though.

A role player in the NBA, say someone like Kyle Kuzma  is 10x more popular than an NHL all star.

Thanks given by:
Apparently he's not going to sit out and is warming up to the idea of playing in Toronto.

Ultimately this is all conjecture.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-19, 11:43 AM)Unreal Wrote: Apparently he's not going to sit out and is warming up to the idea of playing in Toronto.

Ultimately this is all conjecture.

What’s funny is that going back to when this whole Kawhi mess started, I don’t think he has ever actually come out and said anything. It’s all been media reports. 

Apparently he will be at the introductory press conference tomorrow though.
Thanks given by:
I was reading about this last night.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/...8841284608

Basically he has no other option but to play. He could lose his 2019 free agent status if he sits out for more than 30 days.

Thanks given by:
(2018-07-19, 10:50 AM)DDO_Habs_Fan Wrote: I just can't believe Leonard is actually considering sitting out. He's clearly getting crap advice. Hey Kawhi the number one reason you're not in LA now is that you openly said you want to go there so of course they were not going to pay for you now since they could get you for free next summer. Blame yourself and your dumb management for not orchestrating this correctly.

As for playing in Toronto, what is the big deal??? I live in Mtl and I think it is a nice city. Honestly, how many NBA cities in the US are nicer than Toronto? I don't think there are even 10 you can debate.

For a least year before FA I can't imagine a much better situation than this. Best player now in the East on arguably the best team in a weak conference. He has a huge opportunity to light it up and be the man in the East. If he comes back to normal, he's one of the favorites for MVP and probably would win it with the West candidates cancelling each other out.

If Leonard decides  not to show up in TO he's an idiot and/or a POS. We'll see...

They were arguing the merits of playing in canada on I think it was First Take and they complained how different it was in Canada. Like the Tv channels were different. I was like seriously we are talking about tv channels
Thanks given by:
First Take was a bunch of dummies today. Couldn't stand listening to them lol
Thanks given by:
It's in his best interest to play...even if the biggest reason to keep his FA status...but simply to show he is healthy enough to earn his big payday.

Truth be told, if he were to miss this year, after playing in only 9 games last year, he is not going to be able to ask for much. Don't even know if LA would want him.

Assuming health, he should be motivated to play his ass off and carry this Raptors team.

Then...who knows...winning can change people's opinions...if he wins with the Raps, he may just like it enough to stick around (that said...the allure if playing with LeBron may be too much regardless)
Thanks given by:
I think Toronto is actually a great fit for him long-term. If he plays to his potential, he'd quite easily be the best player the Raptors franchise has ever had. Unfortunately, it sounds like he's already made up his mind where he'll sign his next contract.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-19, 01:55 PM)Sportking Wrote:
(2018-07-19, 10:50 AM)DDO_Habs_Fan Wrote: I just can't believe Leonard is actually considering sitting out. He's clearly getting crap advice. Hey Kawhi the number one reason you're not in LA now is that you openly said you want to go there so of course they were not going to pay for you now since they could get you for free next summer. Blame yourself and your dumb management for not orchestrating this correctly.

If Leonard decides  not to show up in TO he's an idiot and/or a POS. We'll see...

They were arguing the merits of playing in canada on I think it was First Take and they complained how different it was in Canada. Like the Tv channels were different. I was like seriously we are talking about tv channels

Anybody who thinks it is more difficult for a black guy in Canada than in the States is an idiot and/or white LMAO.
Thanks given by:
Raptors had to make a big move or blow it up IMO. You can't win in this league with a legit superstar. There's one NBA champion from the last 20 years without an MVP winner on the roster, and that's the Pistons.

Risky move? Sure, but I'll take it over staying the course. Assuming he plays that is. If he doesn't even play, that's a huge waste and a huge problem.
Thanks given by:
The main selling point the Raptors have going for them in potentially resigning Leonard is that they’ll be able to offer substantially more money than anyone else. I have to think that was a factor in the Raptors decision to make the deal. Have a year to sell him on the city then offer him the max. If he’s set on playing in LA he’ll have to take much less money.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-19, 05:17 PM)tmleafer Wrote: Raptors had to make a big move or blow it up IMO. You can't win in this league with a legit superstar. There's one NBA champion from the last 20 years without an MVP winner on the roster, and that's the Pistons.

Risky move? Sure, but I'll take it over staying the course. Assuming he plays that is. If he doesn't even play, that's a huge waste and a huge problem.

Even then, they had Ben Wallace - one of the great defensive players of all time, and a potential HoF player for his defense alone.

You need either one (or more) superstars to win and/or some players that are among the best in the game in some respect.

Even for big DeRozan fans, when it comes to analyzing the deal - it's almost unanimous that it's a good one for the Raptors. Even Dwayne Casey thinks so lol.
Thanks given by: