Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
According to Woj, Raps about to acquire Kawhi
I will never understand the fascination with DeRozan. I read a tweet yesterday about how the Raptors should build a statue for him lol. For what? being the 2nd best player on a 50 win team that got swept in back to back years? and yes Lowry is better than DeRozan.

People yesterday on ESPN were also arguing how he's the greatest Raptor of all time. People forgot about Vince? Bosh? Lowry? I remember watching Carter in his prime. There shouldn't even be a debate who's better lol.

Thanks given by:
(2018-07-19, 06:00 PM)Canuxxx Wrote: I will never understand the fascination with DeRozan. I read a tweet yesterday about how the Raptors should build a statue for him lol. For what? being the 2nd best player on a 50 win team that got swept in back to back years? and yes Lowry is better than DeRozan.

People yesterday on ESPN were also arguing how he's the greatest Raptor of all time. People forgot about Vince? Bosh? Lowry? I remember watching Carter in his prime. There shouldn't even be a debate who's better lol.

The team had it's greatest success in the DeRozan era. He was dedicated to the team and community. I can understand why they'd want to honour him.

It's almost guaranteed they'll retire his number eventually.
Thanks given by:
But Lowry really was the Raptors best player the last 5 years, not DeRozan, he's more popular than Lowry, but Lowry was the Raptors engine the last 5 years.

Thanks given by:
If there's a player who deserves to have his number retired it should be Vince Carter.

Thanks given by:
(2018-07-19, 06:22 PM)Canuxxx Wrote: If there's a player who deserves to have his number retired it should be Vince Carter.

I'd put DeRozan ahead of him.

Carter was electrifying, but the team was less successful and he left on very bad terms, basically quitting on the team.

DeRozan may not be a superstar, but he was a very good player that continually improved and dedicated himself to the community.
Thanks given by: encore
(2018-07-19, 06:33 PM)Unreal Wrote:
(2018-07-19, 06:22 PM)Canuxxx Wrote: If there's a player who deserves to have his number retired it should be Vince Carter.

Carter was electrifying, but the team was less successful and he left on very bad terms, basically quitting on the team.

DeRozan may not be a superstar, but he was a very good player that continually improved and dedicated himself to the community.

I would agree with this
Thanks given by:
Kawhi will not be at the press conference tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-19, 10:21 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: Kawhi will not be at the press conference tomorrow.

And it begins...
Thanks given by:
Man you guys really likes to overreact lol. LeBron hasn't even done his signing press conference. And he signed with the Lakers about 2 weeks ago.

It's July, i don't think we'll see any press conference before training camp.

Thanks given by:
(2018-07-19, 11:01 PM)Canuxxx Wrote: Man you guys really likes to overreact lol. LeBron hasn't even done his signing press conference. And he signed with the Lakers about 2 weeks ago.

It's July, i don't think we'll see any press conference before training camp.

until he gives us reason not to
Thanks given by:
Because he might sit out the entire year? it's not going to happen. Sitting out the season would be a career suicide. 1. He'll lose millions and millions of dollars. And 2. He would lose his 2019 FA status.

Thanks given by:
Question for any/all Raptors fans:

Let's say Kawhi plays, and he plays well...but you also know he's not re-signing here.

Do you keep him and try to win the East, and let him walk?

Or do you trade him mid-season or at the deadline for assets to start rebuilding around Van Vleet, OG and Siakam?

IMO it's a no-brainer that you deal him, but wondering if the legit chance at an Eastern Conference title is enough for the rest of the fanbase to keep and expiring asset with the value of Kawhi Leonard. Unless/until the Warriors get disassembled a bit, we're all just playing for 2nd.
Thanks given by:
Depends on how much is offered, but I'd be inclined to keep him and hope a sign and trade situation arises and you still get something for him anyways.
Thanks given by:
I'm not entirely in-tune with the NBA CBA.
I know the Raptors can offer him substantially more than any other team (and that the Spurs being his original team could have offered him even more than the Raptors can now)...but can the Raptors sign him to their max deal on someone else's behalf and then flip him?

If so, then yeah, it certainly takes the urgency off of trading him mid-season to ensure you get a return as opposed to having him walk.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-20, 07:32 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: Question for any/all Raptors fans:

Let's say Kawhi plays, and he plays well...but you also know he's not re-signing here.

Do you keep him and try to win the East, and let him walk?

Or do you trade him mid-season or at the deadline for assets to start rebuilding around Van Vleet, OG and Siakam?

IMO it's a no-brainer that you deal him, but wondering if the legit chance at an Eastern Conference title is enough for the rest of the fanbase to keep and expiring asset with the value of Kawhi Leonard. Unless/until the Warriors get disassembled a bit, we're all just playing for 2nd.

If he really is focus on playing in LA next year and you know that he is not going to re-sign, then you're not going to get much for him in a trade. Might as well play the season and see how far he can take the team.

I think the Raptors have a great chance if making it to the Finals next year.

Thanks given by:
There probably won’t be much of a trade market for Kawhi, simply because it’s going to be really difficult to match salaries at that time of year because it would likely involve having to trade one or two core parts of your team. I know the Cavs gutted their roster at the deadline, but that doesn’t happen all that often and none of the players traded had a salary as high as Kawhi’s.

They could get lucky and take on an expiring contract, but obviously something else of value would have to be offered to make it worth it for TO.

The better bet is likely to hang on to him.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-19, 06:33 PM)Unreal Wrote:

Agreed. You don't retire numbers based entirely on skill.
VC was the greatest player to play for the Raps.
But he hated it here and wanted out.

By all acounts DRo wanted to stay and enjoyed his time here.
It's a tough call, I may not retire either number and leave it at that.

IMO the franchise shouldn't be retiring numbers until they have success.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
NOTHING Leonard does or says gives me any confidence that he will even consider resigning in TO.

They better win it all this year cause Leonard is GONE after this season.
Thanks given by:
(2018-12-11, 03:43 PM)zapzac Wrote: NOTHING Leonard does or says gives me any confidence that he will even consider resigning in TO.

They better win it all this year cause Leonard is GONE after this season.

Not sure where you are getting that from but I believe there is a 50/50 chance he resigns with the team. He certainly plays really hard for a guy who is "gone".
Thanks given by:
Having been an on again off again Raptors fan over the decades, it's really interesting to read this thread today, less than 24 hours after the Raptors have won the NBA championship.

Kawhi definitely strikes me as an odd duck, and wouldn't be surprised at all that he bolts for a big US market. Which would be a shame, cause I think the Raptors have what it takes to build a mini dynasty of their own, with the building blocks they have now.

But mostly have to echo DDO's comments, so nice to see Masai having the balls to make the risky trades, put together the best players, and task Nurse to make it work.

You can't predict human nature, but it's pretty easy to say a team's not championship material without enough talent on the floor. Get the talent, THEN figure out how to get the most out of them. Life's a risk, and victory's only claimed by the brave.

Congrats Raptors!
Play not to lose, build around Carey, sell hope, make money.
Thanks given by: