2 line passing

Changing after an icing

Shooting puck over the glass

Slowed the game down big time. Clutching and grabbing was half the problem

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
True. Good points.
Thanks given by:
I'd like to see them penalize the obvious stalling/time-buying/equipment issues that players conveniently have when they're dog tired after an icing...and then a guy will stand in and deliberately get tossed from the dot to buy a bit more time. The veteran teams are the worst for this. There was an icing in the Penguins/Leafs game where they killed a good 35-40 seconds mulling around the bench, guys checking the flex on their sticks, etc. If a guy breaks a stick, fine...but the blatantly obvious delay of game stuff after icings bugs me.
Thanks given by: FormalWare
(2018-11-08, 09:40 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: I'd like to see them penalize the obvious stalling/time-buying/equipment issues that players conveniently have when they're dog tired after an icing...and then a guy will stand in and deliberately get tossed from the dot to buy a bit more time. The veteran teams are the worst for this. There was an icing in the Penguins/Leafs game where they killed a good 35-40 seconds mulling around the bench, guys checking the flex on their sticks, etc. If a guy breaks a stick, fine...but the blatantly obvious delay of game stuff after icings bugs me.

Things like that don't bother me as much, because it's just part of the game and any team could do the same thing if they wanted so it makes it even. Some teams obviously don't do it as much as others, but there's nothing stopping them from doing it so to me it's not a make or break type thing. I'm not saying the officials should allow it, they could go over and start pushing the players to get their asses moving but I don't think calling more penalties is necessary.
Thanks given by:
No penalties, time limit (how long?) after whistle is blown for icing. Blow whistle again when that time expires, drop the puck a second or two after that whether ready or not.

Isn't there something to that effect on the books already?
I've been obnoxious....I've been unconscious....I've been all kinds of things that are hard to spell.

Stephen Bruton
Thanks given by:
I can live with that Wilson, allow the ref to give the team that iced the puck a grace period of about 15 seconds, which is honestly more than enough because usually they're already in their defensive zone after icing the puck anyway so they shouldn't be at the bench unless they're grabbing a new stick. So after 15 seconds, if the players aren't back, drop the puck to the offensive team and watch the other players start scrambling back quickly.
Thanks given by:
There is supposed to be a rule like that in place already, but as is the case with a lot of rules, it's enforced for a bit and then they slack off.

The faceoff timer thing to me was/is easy. You could even have a shot clock of sorts that starts when the whistle blows and then the puck is dropped when that clock expires, no matter what. Teams might gripe about it, and exceptions could be made in cases where a legitimate timeout is needed...but if it's a clock, it's an objective rule, that teams can't blame the refs for enforcing.
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-08, 02:11 PM)Bo Dangles Wrote: There is supposed to be a rule like that in place already, but as is the case with a lot of rules, it's enforced for a bit and then they slack off.

The faceoff timer thing to me was/is easy. You could even have a shot clock of sorts that starts when the whistle blows and then the puck is dropped when that clock expires, no matter what. Teams might gripe about it, and exceptions could be made in cases where a legitimate timeout is needed...but if it's a clock, it's an objective rule, that teams can't blame the refs for enforcing.

Just to add to what you're proposing Bo. If the players on an icing go to the bench AFTER the whistle for the icing blows then the player or players should remain on the bench and force the team to play shorthanded until the next whistle.

That will stop the b.s. of those illegal changes AFTER the icing whistle to delay the faceoff. I like the idea of an icing clock once the whistle blows. 20 seconds?
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-06, 07:34 PM)Limestoner Wrote:
(2018-11-04, 03:42 PM)topgun Wrote:
(2018-11-04, 03:09 PM)ZappaScores Wrote:
(2018-11-04, 03:03 PM)25YearRebuild Wrote: People seem to have forgotten how boring the game was in the late 90s and early 2000s.  It's way more entertaining now.

Agreed. It was painful watching guys like Bure get hugged and mauled as soon as the puck hit their stick.

Agreed,

Watching a 220 lb gorilla hook his stick onto a skilled played only to water ski behind him up ice was no fun to watch. Only Jacques Lemairre and his trap loving followers get a boners from watching that stuff.

There's a reason why they call it the "dead puck era".

The dead puck era was a result of the way the rules were applied. (or rather not  applied) Jacques Lemaire and the trap had nothing to do with it. The trap is not illegal, and if you think teams still don't use it you must not pay attention.

It was clutch and grab that ground the game into the ultimate snoozefesty pit of boredom. Once that crap was gone GMs began drafting skill and speed as much as size and strength.

Definitely as my post states about the hooking, interference and holding that was allowed along with the trap (Gorilla waterskiing, the can openers). As I said, there are only a few people that loved that era,  those would be Lemairre and people who loved that combination.

The new rules especially with the elimination of the red line have have opened up the game where playing the trap rarely helps. Long stretch passes help defeat the trap now. You correctly state that the league enforcing the rules that were already on the books went a LONG way to much better hockey.
Thanks given by:
Lomg stretch passes are a strategy to beat the trap but they are often times ineffective as they are low percentage passes. Almost any time you hear coaches talk about clogging the neutral zone they are talking about implementing a form of a trap. Most teams now implement a 1-3-1 defensive scheme so that one of the defenders is back to pick up the dump ins.

The thing that changed the use of the trap the most was restricting goaltenders playing the puck. The reason the Devils were so good at playing the trap is that they had Brodeur as a 3rd defenseman who could pick up pucks that got in to the defensive end and dump them back out.
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-08, 04:55 PM)Nuclearsun Wrote: Lomg stretch passes are a strategy to beat the trap but they are often times ineffective as they are low percentage passes. Almost any time you hear coaches talk about clogging the neutral zone they are talking about implementing a form of a trap. Most teams now implement a 1-3-1 defensive scheme so that one of the defenders is back to pick up the dump ins.

The thing that changed the use of the trap the most was restricting goaltenders playing the puck. The reason the Devils were so good at playing the trap is that they had Brodeur as a 3rd defenseman who could pick up pucks that got in to the defensive end and dump them back out.

Someone should tell Mike Babcock.
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-02, 06:27 PM)FormalWare Wrote: It's blasphemy, but I'm going to say it: The best players of today are Better than the best players of 1988 (give or take five years). They're better athletes, better trained, and at least equally as smart and skilled. (They use/wear better equipment, too, I'll readily admit.)

Gretzky and Lemieux spent their best years on stacked teams, a cut above nearly every other team. In today's salary cap era, any team can give a better team a run for its money on any given night. Blowouts are comparatively rare.

And yet we still see electrifying plays from dominant players. McDavid, MacKinnon, Kucherov, Gaudreau, Laine, Barzal, Matthews. (And, yes - Crosby and Ovechkin.) Doughty, Karlsson, Burns, Josi, Subban, Gostisbehere, McAvoy - so much offense from defense. (I'm aware of whom I'm leaving out, and that I'm only scratching the surface.)

Golden Age? I dunno - but a great time to be a hockey fan.

This pretty much sums it up for me Happy Yeah, people lament the league for certain contentious issues going on & off the ice, but look around at the array of great talent around the league like those mentioned above. And sure, Crosby & Ovechkin are still in way the 'Gold Standard' for excellence on & off the ice. Hell, I was watching last night's Pens-Caps game with much anticipation. Because it's still a terrific rivalry especially with the recent success shared between the two clubs. Happy

The league is truly blessed with some of the best talent in the world right now.
Thanks given by: FormalWare , FormalWare
They did the RUSH faceoffs for awhile but the linesman complained that they were running out of oxygen after long periods of play without stoppages. And it makes sense, they spend 60 minutes on the ice.

I really liked watching the ref drop the puck without one of the teams being there and scrambling to figure it out because they were doddling after a icing.

I still don't think the excitement level is there. I like the game, i am a hockey fan. But i like Big hits, emotional fights. I like the hate. I like hard nosed angry hockey.
Thanks given by:
We just need competent referees who feel free to call the game to the rules - without interference from the NHL. Not saying there should be no replays. The NHL needs to call it as he sees it. Stop manipulating the referees. They don'y know how anything is to be called any more. 
And then the NHL steps in with their "manage the game" philosophy and actually gets calls wrong!!  Pfffft.
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by: FormalWare