Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Flames Canada's best shot at a cup this year?
The Jets team can play a heavy game. Something that serves teams like Nashville, Washington, and San Jose well. It is an aspect that Mike Babcock alluded to recently when commenting about Toronto's play. The Flames have a few player's than can play the heavier game (Bennett, Hathaway, Giordano, Hamonic, Hanifin), but I believe the context Babcock was implying was in the forward group. A heavy forecheck to wear down defenders. A heavy neutral zone presence to knock players off of the puck.

The Jets of all the Canadian teams can do this and with speed.

Edmonton can play a heavier game and their a fast team but so far they haven't really put that to their advantage.

The Flames rely more on team toughness and it remains to be seen how far that will take them.

I haven't watched Montreal much this year. They're a smaller club that is fast and also relies on team toughness. Again, I'm not sure how far that would take them.

Vancouver has speed and a bunch of talented young guys. I don't consider them a heavy team either.
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by: GloryYrs70s
Jets, Flames and Leafs all have equal chance. But I think all are a step behind Nashville, TB and Washington.

Could Flames pull a blockbuster for Bobrovsky? That would be a game changer.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-11, 07:02 PM)himmelblau Wrote: Jets, Flames and Leafs all have equal chance. But I think all are a step behind Nashville, TB and Washington.

Could Flames pull a blockbuster for Bobrovsky?  That would be a game changer.

IMO, the Flames are a very good goalie away from being a legit Cup contender... 

That said , they might have one, whether Smithy finds himself or Rittich continues to shine... 

There's at least 6 teams ( IMO ) that can say the same.. but based on what I've seen... the Flamers are in it.

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
I still think it's the Leafs.
Haven't hit their peak yet. Experienced coach who will have them finely tuned by season's end. Yes it pains me to say this.
Thanks given by:
Why does it matter so much to the casuals that a Canadian team win the Cup?  

Hell no I don't wanna see Calgary win the Cup.  Hopefully it's another one & out for them

This whole 'bring the Cup to Canada' argument is so lame.   If the Oilers don't win the Cup,  i could care less who does,  as long as it isn't Calgary,  Vancouver or Toronto
Thanks given by:
Who are the 'casuals'?
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-11, 09:38 PM)CTS Wrote: Why does it matter so much to the casuals that a Canadian team win the Cup?  

Hell no I don't wanna see Calgary win the Cup.  Hopefully it's another one & out for them

This whole 'bring the Cup to Canada' argument is so lame.   If the Oilers don't win the Cup,  i could care less who does,  as long as it isn't Calgary,  Vancouver or Toronto

Putting aside the "casuals' comment... this is a thread about Canadian teams.. 

Easily, Calgary, Winnipeg or TO...

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by: Highstyx
(2019-01-11, 09:42 PM)Limestoner Wrote: Who are the 'casuals'?

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but it's something I hear EVERY year from people I know who barely know a puck from a baseball, media, etc.

It's always been a pet peeve of mine. I think what set me off was back in '04 so called Oilers fans (casuals) were cheering for the Flames. I was appalled! Than same thing 2 years later when the Oil went to the finals. It's seems it's more important to casual fans, like some sort of false patriotism
Thanks given by:
Jets
Leafs
Flames

The jets and flames need more consistency in goal and the leafs need to play heavier.

All three teams are very strong but also have some weaknesses
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-11, 07:02 PM)himmelblau Wrote: Jets, Flames and Leafs all have equal chance. But I think all are a step behind Nashville, TB and Washington.

Bobbo would cost too much and Columbus would have to take Smitty at a minimum.
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Thanks given by:
As much as I would love to see my Flames win it all I’m far from getting ahead of myself here . The Jets are the real deal to me right now . I can’t see the Flames playing 7 games against a team that skilled to that big . They have more experience . I also would be scared of the Preds in the west . Fingers crossed and happy to be wrong . Right now I’m still trying to get a handle on this top level squad . Been beat down so long I don’t want to let my guard down and be disappointed . Go Flames !
Thanks given by:
LOVE to see Jets" Leafs. Jets will crush them
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
Leafs can’t beat my Bruins so that puts them out .  Silly
Thanks given by:
I still think Winnipeg is the best Canadian team. Toronto's excellent but they're not close to Washington and Tampa imo. That could change though, still half the season to go. And yes, very impressed by Calgary. Gaudreau's the man. I also had no idea how good David Rittich was. It's a good thing 'cause Smith doesn't have it anymore.
 23 more years.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-11, 11:45 PM)Nanuuk Wrote:

Man if Bobrovsky goes to Calgary, I'm betting money on the Flames winning it all lol.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
I think it’s Ritich or bust for us . We can’t afford an expensive replacement with Tkachuk getting paid next year . If Ritich stays healthy he can keep us in games enough todo some damage .
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-11, 11:45 PM)Nanuuk Wrote:

Well, I guess you gotta decide if you are ready to take a shot and willing to pay the price.

The Flames are probably young enough to give their guys a shot first, but you don't want to end up like teams in the past who were just a goalie away from the title.

Glad to see them playing well, I like the team they have put together.
Thanks given by:
I think Toronto and Winnipeg have a better shot but wouldn't be shocked to see Calgary in the final four.

If Calgary (or any other CDN team for that matter) does win the cup why is that a bad thing? Every CDN hockey fan deserves to see their team win at least once in their lives. They are far more deserving than fans in Florida or Columbus. As a Canuck fan i watched the Habs win it 6 times, Oilers 5 times and Flames once. I somehow managed to get up the next day and get on with my life without seeking the help of a therapist.
Thanks given by:
On the other hand, I think it's highly unlikely that any Canadian teams make it to the final four.

I agree with Suity. Until we get over the mental issues vs. the Bruins the Leafs aren't going anywhere.
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by:
Goals/Games:
Leafs = 2nd in league
Flames = 3rd in league
Jets = 8th in league

Goals against/game:
Leafs = 6th in league
Flames = 11th in league
Jets = 9th in league

I'd say these are the three contenders, and there's no reason to think the Flames are Canada's only chance (especially when they're behind the Leafs in both goals produced and goals against).

I think Jets can get into a higher gear too, Helleybuck, Ehlers, Laine, and Myers are all underperforming.
Thanks given by: