Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Flames Canada's best shot at a cup this year?
Some rivalries just naturally formed, without too much format interference, like the Battle of Ontario. I'd prefer it like that
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-25, 09:55 PM)Limestoner Wrote: 92 games is way to many. The schedule could be more balanced without adding games if that's what they want to do. And it's absolutely unnecessary to have the contrived 'divisional rivals meet each other' in the playoffs.

The other sports are doing just fine without that kind of nonsense.

Don't disagree that 92's too many, but as it is, teams are playing 90 already when you consider the exhibition games... and for teams that go deep into the playoffs they easily surpass 100 games.

My example wasn't about a more balanced schedule, it was about a perfectly balanced schedule, in terms of 2 separate conferences ( East and West ).

In my perfect world, it would be straight forward as hell... Do what they do in English Football... 

Each team play each other twice a year, once at home, once on the road... 32 teams, 62 game schedule... 1 v 16 , 2 v 15 etc etc etc in the 1st round and so on... No conferences, no divisions, just a league with 32 teams... ( what a concept  Wink ) .

As it stands we'll NEVER have a chance at a Canucks - Chicago final, or a Toronto - Montreal final or a ( fill in your dream finalists here ). 

Of course, this will never happen and we all know why... 

So, if were looking at an 80 game season and we have 32 teams, the end result HAS to be a slightly unbalance schedule... and if it remains East v West in the final, look forward to never seeing some of the greatest rivals battling it out in a Cup Final.

Oh well.

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
I think the exhibition game part of training camp is important for teams.

And my only real point about an unbalanced schedule is that it doesn't effect playoff seedings in the other sports (other than division winners getting a break, which they do in the NHL too), so why not do away with the silly divisional matchups in the first round?
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-26, 11:59 AM)Limestoner Wrote: I think the exhibition game part of training camp is important for teams.

And my only real point about an unbalanced schedule is that it doesn't effect playoff seedings in the other sports (other than division winners getting a break, which they do in the NHL too), so why not do away with the silly divisional matchups in the first round?

I totally agree about doing away with the silly divisional matchups in the 1st...

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by: