Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Armchair GM Thread / Trade Deadline Thread
Dubas is reportedly scouting another dman in Russia. Alexander Yelesin,

https://twitter.com/IgorEronko/status/10...0838157313
Thanks given by:
If the Leafs can get out from under Marleau's cap hit next year they should be fine. Heck, I'm sure Dubas could even find a taker for Zaitsev. Maybe a low payroll club that's thin on right-side D, like New Jersey.

Even moving Brown and his $2.1M would make a difference and he's easily replaceable IMO.

Anyway, I'm with NuclearSun from a couple pages back. This salary cap talk has dominated the airwaves, papers and screens during what is shaping up to be the best regular season in franchise history. I'm going to enjoy the ride and let management worry about the numbers.
Thanks given by:
If we could somehow get rid of Marleau and his contract in the summer, that money would prob be enough to resign Kapanen and Johnnson. Food for thought

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: Sportking , Sportking
(2019-01-12, 07:38 PM)eh_prdcanadian Wrote: If we could somehow get rid of Marleau and his contract in the summer, that money would prob be enough to resign Kapanen and Johnnson. Food for thought

Even if we dont get rid of Marleau I think we can squeeze everyone in. Wont leave any money to add at the deadline but we will free up 6 million the following year
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 08:00 PM)Sportking Wrote:
(2019-01-12, 07:38 PM)eh_prdcanadian Wrote: If we could somehow get rid of Marleau and his contract in the summer, that money would prob be enough to resign Kapanen and Johnnson. Food for thought

Even if we dont get rid of Marleau I think we can squeeze everyone in. Wont leave any money to add at the deadline but we will free up 6 million the following year

I think he stays. Unless he plans to retire after this season. Coach loves the guy, so do the youngsters. That will be an expensive third line though no doubt.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 08:17 PM)Trevorchef Wrote:

I think he stays. Unless he plans to retire after this season. Coach loves the guy, so do the youngsters. That will be an expensive third line though no doubt.

If you don’t want him back next year......win the Cup! I predict he would then hang em up.
Thanks given by:
i have never heard anything that suggests Marleau is in any way thinking of retiring, in fact I'm pretty sure I read something about him wanting to play until he can't which has been pretty well this entire year, IMO.

If Marleau retires TO will still be on the hook for his entire salary cap wise.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 10:26 PM)hobster Wrote: i have never heard anything that suggests Marleau is in any way thinking of retiring, in fact I'm pretty sure I read something about him wanting to play until he can't which has been pretty well this entire year, IMO.

If Marleau retires TO will still be on the hook for his entire salary cap wise.

I think people mean he will have an agreement to retire and we will trade his cap hit to a floor team ie. Arizona

They would do this once his bonus money is paid out on July 1st.

But I agree with you I dont see him retiring either.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 10:18 PM)CuttingEdge Wrote:

If you don’t want him back next year......win the Cup! I predict he would then hang em up.

Isn't Marleau on a 35 plus contract?   Assuming that's correct, his cap hit would remain if he retires - which is why signing a 35 plus player to a 3-year contract is a pretty large risk (see LAK: Kovalchuk).
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 10:59 PM)Pouzar Wrote:
(2019-01-12, 10:18 PM)CuttingEdge Wrote:

Isn't Marleau on a 35 plus contract?   Assuming that's correct, his cap hit would remain if he retires - which is why signing a 35 plus player to a 3-year contract is a pretty large risk (see LAK: Kovalchuk).

I sit corrected.lol

Thanks.
Thanks given by:
Other potential destinations for Kadri:

Anaheim for Manson or Montour
Dallas for Lindell
Minny for Brodin
Carolina for Pesce
Arizona for Chychrun

Kadri is 28, still a very good player, marquee no, but as a center, well, teams need centers. Kadri has had some pretty tough miles on him and tho not a direct comparable age and miles catch up quickly, see Simmonds and Lucic.

Kadri's contract is very attractive and that's the reason why trades that I've suggested might make sense. The teams I've concentrated on are going to struggle to make the playoffs, Kadri might be just what the doctor ordered for them.

One of the constants that I think is prevalent in the NHL is teams holding onto aging stars, Kadri is still a valuable player and easily worth what he's being paid but if TO loses Gardiner, a replacement will be needed. TO already has other pretty decent centers and 3rd line centers aren't impossible to find.
Thanks given by:
To Hurricanes:
Jake Gardiner
Connor Brown
1st round pick

To Leafs:
Micheal Ferland
Brett Pesce

Our defense 

Reilly  Pesce
Dermott Hainsey
OZ     Zaitsev
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 02:09 PM)shadylane Wrote: If the Leafs can get out from under Marleau's cap hit next year they should be fine. Heck, I'm sure Dubas could even find a taker for Zaitsev. Maybe a low payroll club that's thin on right-side D, like New Jersey.

The Zaitsev contract is horrible. We’d have to add to it for anyone to take it.
Our right side is laughable right now and good teams just rinse us on that side all night.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 03:21 AM)Sportking Wrote: To Hurricanes:
Jake Gardiner
Connor Brown
1st round pick

To Leafs:
Micheal Ferland
Brett Pesce

Our defense 

Reilly  Pesce
Dermott Hainsey
OZ     Zaitsev

Kind of a joke of an offer. You are not giving up much.
Thanks given by:
With Marleau (based on info from fellow posters), it looks like if he is willing to retire, we could swing a deal with team looking to reach cap ceiling to take the contract.

Patrick should be starting to see the writing on the wall. He doesn’t strike me as a guy who wants to end his career playing bad hockey.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 09:25 AM)CuttingEdge Wrote: With Marleau (based on info from fellow posters), it looks like if he is willing to retire, we could swing a deal with team looking to reach cap ceiling to take the contract.

Patrick should be starting to see the writing on the wall. He doesn’t strike me as a guy who wants to end his career playing bad hockey.

Might be one of those players the Leafs would want to incorporate into their coaching or development staff too. Though I'm not sure if he can be traded to another team, retire, and then in the same year (where he still has a year of NHL contract left) come back to work for the Leafs in another capacity. 

If they can do that, it'd be a good way to get rid of his contract, but let him still be involved in some capacity where he could feel like he was part of a Cup win (if there was one).
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 09:21 AM)CuttingEdge Wrote:
Jake Gardiner
Connor Brown
1st round pick

To Leafs:
Micheal Ferland
Brett Pesce

Our defense 

Reilly  Pesce
Dermott Hainsey
OZ     Zaitsev

Most leaf fans love to throw out these offers.
Our players are gold, and we can get elite players for scraps.
Brown has almost zero value.
You aren’t getting Pesce without a top 6 forward.
So Kapanen or someone similar to him.
Adding Ferland on top of that is hilarious.
Wtf does Carolina need with Gardiner?

Leaf fans need to realize you gotta give to get.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 10:17 AM)tmleafer Wrote:
(2019-01-13, 09:25 AM)CuttingEdge Wrote: With Marleau (based on info from fellow posters), it looks like if he is willing to retire, we could swing a deal with team looking to reach cap ceiling to take the contract.

Might be one of those players the Leafs would want to incorporate into their coaching or development staff too. Though I'm not sure if he can be traded to another team, retire, and then in the same year (where he still has a year of NHL contract left) come back to work for the Leafs in another capacity. 

If they can do that, it'd be a good way to get rid of his contract, but let him still be involved in some capacity where he could feel like he was part of a Cup win (if there was one).

Only thing is, I think California is home now and he and his family are going back when all is said and done.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 10:21 AM)Chip Wrote:
(2019-01-13, 09:21 AM)CuttingEdge Wrote:
Jake Gardiner
Connor Brown
1st round pick

To Leafs:
Micheal Ferland
Brett Pesce

Our defense 

Reilly  Pesce
Dermott Hainsey
OZ     Zaitsev

Most leaf fans love to throw out these offers.
Our players are gold, and we can get elite players for scraps.
Brown has almost zero value.
You aren’t getting Pesce without a top 6 forward.
So Kapanen or someone similar to him.
Adding Ferland on top of that is hilarious.
Wtf does Carolina need with Gardiner?

Leaf fans need to realize you gotta give to get.

Yes I am afraid this offer fits the typical stereotype of a Leaf fan offer.

On a separate note, I wanted to jump through the tv and grab Kypreos. He was glowing about Ferland and suggesting he could get a Tom Wilson type contract....Whattt?

I am sorry but Nick has nothing. I can’t believe I have to listen to him multiple times per week.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 10:34 AM)CuttingEdge Wrote: Yes I am afraid this offer fits the typical stereotype of a Leaf fan offer.

On a separate note, I wanted to jump through the tv and grab Kypreos. He was glowing about Ferland and suggesting he could get a Tom Wilson type contract....Whattt?

I am sorry but Nick has nothing. I can’t believe I have to listen to him multiple times per week.

Why do you have to listen to him?   I don't have to listen to him.  Nobody else has to listen to him either.

I really don't get this.  People rant and rave about someone saying or doing things that they don't agree with or think is stupid and yet they watch or listen to them anyway.  

That seems stupid to me.
I've been obnoxious....I've been unconscious....I've been all kinds of things that are hard to spell.

Stephen Bruton
Thanks given by: