Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Armchair GM Trade Thread
Horton will be on LTIR next season too.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
(2019-01-21, 07:57 PM)shadylane Wrote:
(2019-01-21, 12:28 PM)tmleafer Wrote: Teravainen just extended in Carolina for 5 years X 5.4M.

64 points last year, on pace for 66 this year. Not helping the look of Nylander's contract.

Nylander came to mind for me as well when I saw Teravainen's contract. But a bit of a different situation.

Teravainen's 64 points came in his 4th NHL season, and that 64-66 point pace might be his ceiling. He'll be 25 next year.

Nylander's first 61 point season was his second in the league at age 20. And I think the best is yet to come for him.

Definitely apples and oranges.
Thanks given by:
Nylander will be fine. That is a process that has yet to work itself out. I have been too critical about his performance. Guilty as charged. This shit will come around.
Thanks given by: shadylane
(2019-01-21, 08:58 PM)zapzac Wrote:
(2019-01-21, 12:28 PM)tmleafer Wrote: Teravainen just extended in Carolina for 5 years X 5.4M.

64 points last year, on pace for 66 this year. Not helping the look of Nylander's contract.

Nylander came to mind for me as well when I saw Teravainen's contract. But a bit of a different situation.

Teravainen's 64 points came in his 4th NHL season, and that 64-66 point pace might be his ceiling. He'll be 25 next year.

Nylander's first 61 point season was his second in the league at age 20. And I think the best is yet to come for him.

Similar to comparing Pastrnak's stats at age 18/19 to Nylander's stats at age 20-21, which a lot of people used to justify Nylander getting Pastrnak $$ instead of Ehlers, Larkin, Forsberg, etc money.

I agree that age is a factor, but it's also one that was disregarded by a lot of people who were arguing Nylander signed a good /fair contract.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-21, 08:16 PM)shadylane Wrote: He's getting there. But it's definitely a much slower process than I ever anticipated. I'm just hoping he'll look 100% by March/April at this point.

Yeah - if we can have him at 100% for the playoffs, I'll be happy. Once it dragged into the season, I figured this would be mostly a lost year for him.
Humboldt Broncos SJHL April 6, 2018
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 09:53 AM)tmleafer Wrote:
(2019-01-21, 08:58 PM)zapzac Wrote:

Similar to comparing Pastrnak's stats at age 18/19 to Nylander's stats at age 20-21, which a lot of people used to justify Nylander getting Pastrnak $$ instead of Ehlers, Larkin, Forsberg, etc money.

I agree that age is a factor, but it's also one that was disregarded by a lot of people who were arguing Nylander signed a good /fair contract.

Onlt two things bother me about Nylanders contract and the negotiations:

1. It went too long, he missed two months and it has adversely affected his play.

2. Its only 6 years.

I had predicted 8 X $7 M, so to me the "price" came in about right but the term is too short.

The comparables were always Pastrynak, Ehlers, couple others so $6 - $7 M, and no sense quibbling over a couple hundred thou.
Thanks given by:
Pretty much more of the same suggestions, but an interesting read...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mapl...to-target/

I'm not sure why Colton Parayko's name keeps popping up in these trade suggestions. Even if the Blues want to rebuild a little, would he not be the perfect RHD to build around? Young, big, strong top pairing puck moving D man on a long term contract at a very reasonable price? 

Anyways, some food for thought. Moreover, the players that we have been discussing to this point regarding the D.
Thanks given by:

Kyle Dubas says the #leafs have made progress on an extension for Auston Matthews. Ideally he'd like to get it done ASAP for long-term clarity before trade deadline. Adds they aren't negotiating with Mitch Marner at the request of Marner's agent, Darren Ferris.
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 11:45 AM)Trevorchef Wrote:

Kyle Dubas says the #leafs have made progress on an extension for Auston Matthews. Ideally he'd like to get it done ASAP for long-term clarity before trade deadline. Adds they aren't negotiating with Mitch Marner at the request of Marner's agent, Darren Ferris.

I got a feeling Mitch will make the same as Auston.
His agent will just go, give us that much.

So quite possibly they both get 10M+
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 12:10 PM)Chip Wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me one bit dude. They certainly have every right to ask for it based on his production this year.
Thanks given by:
I really hope they don't combine to make upwards of $20M unless the leafs are getting at least 2 UFA years out of them.
Thanks given by:
(11 hours ago)shadylane Wrote: I really hope they don't combine to make upwards of $20M unless the leafs are getting at least 2 UFA years out of them.

Shady...i see a deal like Toews/Kaner signed a few years back..identical contracts in term and dollar and i'm good with that..both these two are studs and will lead this team for the next 8 years(or 7 or 6)

i see both at about 10 AAV
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-21, 08:57 PM)shadylane Wrote: Horton will be on LTIR next season too.

I believe next season is his last, though.
Not that it matters, only money.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf

I think ideally you try to get both take 11 million a year. Sign together. I think that's very fair. Marner probally getting abit more than I want, AM making abit less but ultimately that would help unify the top stars and just be almost perfect

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(11 hours ago)RATW-Leafaholic Wrote:
(11 hours ago)shadylane Wrote: I really hope they don't combine to make upwards of $20M unless the leafs are getting at least 2 UFA years out of them.

Shady...i see a deal like Toews/Kaner signed a few years back..identical contracts in term and dollar and i'm good with that..both these two are studs and will lead this team for the next 8 years(or 7 or 6)

I don't see either taking less than Eichel. No way AM takes the same

Thanks given by:
(7 hours ago)eh_prdcanadian Wrote:
(11 hours ago)RATW-Leafaholic Wrote:

I don't see either taking less than Eichel. No way AM takes the same

Nor should he.

At 10 he would be taking less as Eichel as Eichel’s % of the cap would be higher.
Thanks given by:
(7 hours ago)eh_prdcanadian Wrote:

I think ideally you try to get both take 11 million a year. Sign together. I think that's very fair. Marner probally getting abit more than I want, AM making abit less but ultimately that would help unify the top stars and just be almost perfect

I could see that, absolutely.

For the 3 forwards. Oi vey.
Thanks given by:
(9 hours ago)Chip Wrote:
(2019-01-21, 08:57 PM)shadylane Wrote: Horton will be on LTIR next season too.

I believe next season is his last, though.
Not that it matters, only money.

It will matter alot more than just money - the cap hit of an LTIR player counts against the cap the entire time - there is a cushion to go over (amount determined by the cap space when the player is put on and the player's cap hit) but the cap hit is there and the team will need to be in compliance with the upper cap limit on the first day of the season (well they can place the player on LTIR in the off-season but its even more inefficient and reduces the amount of the LTIR cushion).

Further, if you are using LTIR relief and going over the cap, then the team will be accumulating not cap space on a daily basis to bank and use for in-season acquisitions.

Essentially, using LTIR relief is a very limiting and ineffective way to manage the cap.

It hasn't mattered for the Leafs because they haven't been at the cap limit.

It will matter next season.
Thanks given by: