Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armia signs for one year at 1.85 million
So MB signs Armia for one year. Why one year? Watch Armia have a great year and then want double that salary. He will then leave and take his skills elsewhere. And MB will have nothing to show for the asset. Never have I seen such poor management of assets had MB has displayed. The guy has no foresight on how to build a winner. What's next? Will he trade Patches for two fourth round picks and some character pud. Oh it's going to be a tough season to watch this team under MB.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:30 PM)Ahh 1977! Wrote: So MB signs Armia for one year. Why one year? Watch Armia have a great year and then want double that salary. He will then leave and take his skills elsewhere. And MB will have nothing to show for the asset. Never have I seen such poor management of assets had MB has displayed. The guy has no foresight on how to build a winner. What's next? Will he trade Patches for two fourth round picks and some character pud. Oh it's going to be a tough season to watch this team under MB.

HE is still a RFA after this year I believe...
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:30 PM)Ahh 1977! Wrote: So MB signs Armia for one year. Why one year? Watch Armia have a great year and then want double that salary. He will then leave and take his skills elsewhere. And MB will have nothing to show for the asset. Never have I seen such poor management of assets had MB has displayed. The guy has no foresight on how to build a winner. What's next? Will he trade Patches for two fourth round picks and some character pud. Oh it's going to be a tough season to watch this team under MB.

What would have been your genius move with Armia instead of the one-year deal at 1.85M?

Just curious...
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:32 PM)krob1000 Wrote:

Just checked, RFA is done at the end of this season. So he is gone
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:35 PM)Ahh 1977! Wrote:

Who did you check with? Capfriendly says he is still an RFA at the end of this contract.
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/joel-armia
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:41 PM)Grimjim Wrote:

Who did you check with? Capfriendly says he is still an RFA at the end of this contract.
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/joel-armia

This ^ Just checked as well. He's an RFA at seasons end.
Thanks given by:
RFA means restricted...we still have control ....UFA means he can do whatever he chooses...
Thanks given by:

Really? Didn't get the memo from the player and his agent. Where was it posted?

It's likely that Armia didn't want to sign away UFA years based on a prior showing in a primarily defensive role that would have lowered the salary value of the contract.

With the opportunity to showcase himself in a more offensive role this year in MON (given the team's make-up), IMO, it's a fair gamble for Armia to sign a one-year deal. 1.85M isn't very much for a player and an uptick in offensive production can probably as much as double that salary on a longer term deal.

Nowhere does it actually mean that he wouldn't re-sign with MON that traded for him and gave him the opportunity (he might not have had in WINN) to showcase himself in a more complete role.
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:35 PM)Scriptor Wrote:

What would have been your genius move with Armia instead of the one-year deal at 1.85M?

Just curious...
Well the guy has more potential than 80% of the current roster.  Is bigger and more physical than 90% of the roster. So why not lock him for 3-5 years at 2.5-3 million a year. He could certainly do no more harm to this team than what the current roster is projected to be. So yes, when it comes to comparsion to MB I am a fricking genius!!
Thanks given by:
BTW, what you want to do and what the player wants to do aren't always the same thing.

We always act as though only the GM had a say in what happens when it simply isn't so.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:44 PM)Ahh 1977! Wrote:

Just curious...
Well the guy has more potential than 80% of the current roster.  Is bigger and more physical than 90% of the roster. So why not lock him for 3-5 years at 2.5-3 million a year. He could certainly do no more harm to this team than what the current roster is projected to be. So yes, when it comes to comparsion to MB I am a fricking genius!!
Likely he too believes he has more potential and his agent is smart enough to see he may get a good opportunity here to increase his potential value....we still have control of the asset, they still have some control on their clients potential earnings long term....it is fine...good acquisition by us and good agent for him...nothing ominous here
Thanks given by:

Just curious...
Who says that Bergevin wouldn't have preferred to sign Armia to 2, 3 or 4 years at 2.5M-3M, let's say, but that Armia also believes in his potential and thinks that one year as a prove yourself contract will end up paying off more than what you suggest?

If Armia and his agent wanted no more than one year, Bergevin had little option other than going to arbitration and asking for two years (which he's allowed to do) at whatever amount was decided upon by the arbitrator.

That, IMO, is a perfect way to ensure that the player won't re-sign in two years, at whatever price.
Thanks given by:
Sorry, Krob, I was typing while you were posting Happy
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:46 PM)krob1000 Wrote:

Just curious...
Likely he too believes he has more potential an his agent is smart enough to see he may get a good opportunity here to increase his potential value....we still have control of the asset, they still have some control on their clients potential earnings long term....it is fine...good acquisition by us and good agent for him...nothing ominous here
That's my point. Everyone agrees he has alot more potential, but yet we sign him for one year. Then he has a great year and then to keep him we have to pay alot more than what we ould pay him right now. That's the problem, no planning for the future by MB just short term thinking which will result in perpetual failure.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:44 PM)Ahh 1977! Wrote:

Just curious...

Maybe Armenia and his agent only wanted one year. I's ultimately their choice. Doesn't matter anyway. He's still restricted at years end.
Thanks given by:
Do you just read parts of posts or entire posts? What was said is that the player likely didn't want more than a year. What do you suggest? Putting a gun to his head? Overpaying him so he does sign for more than a year and so you can still call Bergevin an idiot?

In this instance, it's entirely possible that the player and his agent saw the same thing as you, me and most observers, refused a longer term contract and took a gamble that the situation in MON would provide Armia with a good opportunity to set himself up for a better payday, longer term, next year.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:43 PM)Scriptor Wrote:

Really? Didn't get the memo from the player and his agent. Where was it posted?

It's likely that Armia didn't want to sign away UFA years based on a prior showing in a primarily defensive role that would have lowered the salary value of the contract.

With the opportunity to showcase himself in a more offensive role this year in MON (given the team's make-up), IMO, it's a fair gamble for Armia to sign a one-year deal. 1.85M isn't very much for a player and an uptick in offensive production can probably as much as double that salary on a longer term deal.

Nowhere does it actually mean that he wouldn't re-sign with MON that traded for him and gave him the opportunity (he might not have had in WINN) to showcase himself in a more complete role.
Well, it is either the Habs or the player that are not quite sure of the future here. If Armia thinks he can flourish offensively to drive his value with this lot, he maybe dreaming. So, my assumption is MB does not know what he has, to scared to pull the trigger, because of past gaffs.  If Armia does become the second coming of (name of good player of your choice here) then MB now has another situation where the player has all the leaverage.  It takes balls and foresight to be a top GM in this league, knowing when to walk away, trading at the right time, seeing something in a player that others don’t and pulling the trigger to lock them up etc, he has neither
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:51 PM)bchippie Wrote:

Just curious...

Maybe Armenia and his agent only wanted one year. I's ultimately their choice. Doesn't matter anyway. He's still restricted at years end.
We're not sure that he actually is (was drafted in 2011 and is 25 or older). 7 years of service and 25 years old or older are the requirements for complete free agency.

In either case, it doesn't change the fact that the player and agent might have only wanted one year. It just changes MON's control over the player after this year.
Thanks given by:

Just curious...

This is a good example of a fan’s hatred for MB and his eagerness to criticize him, causing him to jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 12:53 PM)Scriptor Wrote: Do you just read parts of posts or entire posts? What was said is that the player likely didn't want more than a year. What do you suggest? Putting a gun to his head? Overpaying him so he does sign for more than a year and so you can still call Bergevin an idiot?

In this instance, it's entirely possible that the player and his agent saw the same thing as you, me and most observers, refused a longer term contract and took a gamble that the situation in MON would provide Armia with a good opportunity to set himself up for a better payday, longer term, next year.
 I guess YOU were  sitting in the room with MB and Armia. You know the old saying when you "assume" somethng. No one knows what was discussed. All I am saying is that MB has to be alot more aggressive and alot more intelligent when it comes to signing assets to build this team long term. There is plenty of evidence out there where smart managers are locking up assets now to build their teams for the future.
Thanks given by: