Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As Presently Constructed, Can They Contend For Cup?
(2019-07-10, 10:11 PM)Bo Dangles Wrote:
(2019-07-10, 09:55 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote:
(2019-07-10, 09:51 PM)Bo Dangles Wrote: I don't think the heavy game costs us. We have to play to our strengths. Skill, speed, smarts. There is enough of it on this team to beat anyone in a 7 game series IF we use it.

This team needs to outskate, outskill and outsmart every team it comes up against. On the ice. Not off it. Mike Babcock doesn't need to be the smartest man in the room. He needs to let the other coach worry about which line he is going to match, and how they are going to shut us down.

The second we yank our top line off the ice in the opening minute of a playoff game, we are screwed.

You have the horses.  Let em run.

So Babcock is Factor X

I respect the hell out of what he has done in his career, and I think he is undeniably a great coach...just not the right coach for this team. 

Give him last year's Blue Jackets and I bet he takes them to the Cup. Big, heavy team with some high end skill, depth and a bunch of horses on the back end and a great goalie...that is a Babcock team. 

I think he could work wonders with a number of rosters in the league, just not this one. 

A top heavy offensive team that is built to outscore its opponent? That is not one that hoists a Cup with Babcock IMO. 

Fast forward to next June, I would be the happiest man alive to be dead wrong about this, just my opinion.

I fully disagree Grin Silly with that statement Bo! Don't how old you are, but I have been waiting a hellva longer time than you SN devil so I say I and Acient Fan would much happier than you, just kidding of course.
Sometimes Facts and Truth Hurt !!!
Thanks given by: Bo Dangles
(2019-07-11, 09:43 AM)DRW Wrote: CE, 

I feel like I’m stating the obvious but finishing 1st overall in the Atlantic division from the regular season will help this team contend and play a major factor into how far this team will go in the playoffs. 

A Leafs first round match finishing 2nd or 3rd with a match up with Tampa or Boston, I would consider both to be a coin toss on which team would advance. I still rank the Leafs, Tampa and Boston at the top of the division.

The way the Leafs team is built has not significantly changed from last year, skill over size. 

I feel this team has the potential to contend and go on a strong playoff run, time will tell.

Agreed. Sometimes we ignore the obvious points but logically we shouldnt Happy

Thanks for responding and welcome to the forum.
Thanks given by:
First and foremost is health. If we stay healthy, we'll be in the discussion. There's just too much talent here not to be.

As far as player variables...I think we can expect that most of our early 20s kids will hold course or slightly improve based on experience and development.

I think we know what we're getting in Barrie. He will be a high risk high reward guy who will make some gaffes, but dramatically improve our mobility and offensive output on the back end, specifically on the right side. I expect he'll put up a lot of points and we'll be debating from January on if the production justifies a 7M+ cap hit.

Ceci to me, if he can competently replace Zaitsev...any more is a bonus.

I am anxious to see Kerfoot. I only saw about 5 or 6 Avalanche games last year, and he looked really good from what I saw, but it was an admittedly small sample size. A Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen line could be a ton of fun to watch.

The big X Factor for me right now from a roster perspective is Mikheyev.
I am reading a lot of reports/quotes that Babcock envisions him playing alongside Matthews/Nylander. If he can be a legitimate option as a top six winger, that's a huge add for 925k. I'm tempering my expectations...and quite honestly, with the competition at LW with everyone healthy, he'll have to be pretty good just to secure a roster spot. My fear is that if Babs really likes him, he'll play ahead of more deserving/productive players. I don't know how you can possibly pencil a guy who has never played a NHL game onto the top line...but I'd love to see him surprise me there.

To me the biggest on-ice improvement that I am looking for is on special teams. Our PP has to be lethal, and with the talent available, there is no excuse to not be better than we were in the second half and playoffs last year. The PK is a bit scary as I have no idea what our PK units are going to be...but suffice it to say, we're in deep trouble if it looks like it did in the playoffs. We shouldn't take a lot of penalties because we should be a puck possession team, and we won't be overly aggressive/physical.

I want to see this team lean heavily on its top players. If you're going to command that % of the cap, you should be commanding a proportionate amount of the ice time.

I want to see Mitch Marner back, and locked into a contract that is at least 4 years in length.

I want to see Matthews score 50 and top 100pts.

I want to see Morgan Rielly named Captain.

I want to see the second round...and if we don't, I want to hear what Mike Babcock says at the press conference after he's fired.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
(2019-07-12, 11:55 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: First and foremost is health. If we stay healthy, we'll be in the discussion. There's just too much talent here not to be.

As far as player variables...I think we can expect that most of our early 20s kids will hold course or slightly improve based on experience and development.

I think we know what we're getting in Barrie. He will be a high risk high reward guy who will make some gaffes, but dramatically improve our mobility and offensive output on the back end, specifically on the right side. I expect he'll put up a lot of points and we'll be debating from January on if the production justifies a 7M+ cap hit.

Ceci to me, if he can competently replace Zaitsev...any more is a bonus.

I am anxious to see Kerfoot. I only saw about 5 or 6 Avalanche games last year, and he looked really good from what I saw, but it was an admittedly small sample size. A Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen line could be a ton of fun to watch.

The big X Factor for me right now from a roster perspective is Mikheyev.
I am reading a lot of reports/quotes that Babcock envisions him playing alongside Matthews/Nylander. If he can be a legitimate option as a top six winger, that's a huge add for 925k. I'm tempering my expectations...and quite honestly, with the competition at LW with everyone healthy, he'll have to be pretty good just to secure a roster spot. My fear is that if Babs really likes him, he'll play ahead of more deserving/productive players. I don't know how you can possibly pencil a guy who has never played a NHL game onto the top line...but I'd love to see him surprise me there.

To me the biggest on-ice improvement that I am looking for is on special teams. Our PP has to be lethal, and with the talent available, there is no excuse to not be better than we were in the second half and playoffs last year. The PK is a bit scary as I have no idea what our PK units are going to be...but suffice it to say, we're in deep trouble if it looks like it did in the playoffs. We shouldn't take a lot of penalties because we should be a puck possession team, and we won't be overly aggressive/physical.

I want to see this team lean heavily on its top players. If you're going to command that % of the cap, you should be commanding a proportionate amount of the ice time.  

I want to see Mitch Marner back, and locked into a contract that is at least 4 years in length.

I want to see Matthews score 50 and top 100pts.

I want to see Morgan Rielly named Captain.

I want to see the second round...and if we don't, I want to hear what Mike Babcock says at the press conference after he's fired.

Bo, well played sir. I thought I was the guy in this forum pushing for Morgan as the Captain. Disregard all the jokes, re: rum Grin he is the leader of this team, not afraid to speak his mind, take on management if needed and a leader in the room! As fo Babcock he will have 110% lost me if we don't get to the third round, with Marner back, Nylander if he can find his groove again, Freddy used the right way and we are coached to their strengths no reason not to go to the third round. Even if we play strong and lose in the second round I will be happy. Too much water under the bridge 1967-68 to last season!
Thanks given by:
Read somewhere that AM would rather not have Kappy on his line next year.
Thanks given by:
I like the idea of Trevor Moore on the left side with Matthews and Nylander.

Buzz saw of a player, who is willing to do whatever it takes to stick. If he was given the chance, he wouldn't lose it for a lack of effort.

He's got some finish to his game, he's not big but he's stocky/sturdy, has terrific balance and will throw himself around a bit.
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-12, 03:40 PM)Bo Dangles Wrote: I like the idea of Trevor Moore on the left side with Matthews and Nylander.

Buzz saw of a player, who is willing to do whatever it takes to stick. If he was given the chance, he wouldn't lose it for a lack of effort.

He's got some finish to his game, he's not big but he's stocky/sturdy, has terrific balance and will throw himself around a bit.

I would love to see that. I doubt Babcock goes for it. He still has to "pay his dues" on the 4th line. It is stupid, but that is just the way he coaches.
Thanks given by:
I liked the look of the Leafs heading into last year and for the most part, they proved me right, up until the time they got into the playoffs.

This upcoming year, who the hell knows... So many moves and so many question marks with the bottom 6 and and the defensive depth.   

I know this much...  If the Leafs are gonna contend for a Cup in the spring of 2020 they're likely gonna have to get past TB and or Boston...

And as you guys know, the B's know how to win in the playoffs and the Ning are gonna be pissed off as hell about what happened a few months ago....

Putting aside past playoff success and a pissed off team, both of these teams, from top to bottom, are equal to or better than the Leafs... at least in my opinion. 

In other words, Leafers can definitely contend, but they'd probably be better off in a different division right now...  Wink

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-12, 03:36 PM)hobster Wrote: Read somewhere that AM would rather not have Kappy on his line next year.

It was Simmons who reported that...so there is no truth to it.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
Who leaked the AM not wanting to play with Hy, last year which after the year appears to be true?

I never felt Kadri was a good center mostly because of his inability to do center things like set up or improve his wingers. I'm hoping Kerfoot has a greater capacity to improve his linemates like Kappy and perhaps Moore. It was assumed that Kadri centering TO's 3rd line last year that TO would have 3 centers that could drive play, create and defend, I think that might be a more realistic expectation, this year. Kerfoot's d is still in question.

Kadri would've been a far greater asset as a winger,
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-12, 06:38 PM)hobster Wrote: Who leaked the AM not wanting to play with Hy, last year which after the year appears to be true?

I never felt Kadri was a good center mostly because of his inability to do center things like set up or improve his wingers. I'm hoping Kerfoot has a greater capacity to improve his linemates like Kappy and perhaps Moore. It was assumed that Kadri centering TO's 3rd line last year that TO would have 3 centers that could drive play, create and defend, I think that might be a more realistic expectation, this year. Kerfoot's d is still in question.

Kadri would've been a far greater asset as a winger,

Meth.
Thanks given by:
Yes the Leafs can win a cup with another goalie and I know Leafs media(TSN,SPORTNET) love Anderson along with Leaf nation but I do not think he is capable of winning 4 rounds.Now if the Leafs produce goals at one of the highest rates in cup history they can win with Anderson.
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-13, 12:27 AM)habs001 Wrote: Yes the Leafs can win a cup with another goalie and I know Leafs media(TSN,SPORTNET) love Anderson along with Leaf nation but I do not think he is capable of winning 4 rounds.Now if the Leafs produce goals at one of the highest rates in cup history they can win with Anderson.

thats a bet i'm willing to take.! Andersen is as good or better than the majority in the league..he is solid and was not in the least one of our problems last year..with a solid backup he will be fine and well rested for the playoffs..and we don't need to put up historic goals to  be able to succeed either..
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-13, 11:56 AM)RATW-Leafaholic Wrote:
(2019-07-13, 12:27 AM)habs001 Wrote: Yes the Leafs can win a cup with another goalie and I know Leafs media(TSN,SPORTNET) love Anderson along with Leaf nation but I do not think he is capable of winning 4 rounds.Now if the Leafs produce goals at one of the highest rates in cup history they can win with Anderson.

thats a bet i'm willing to take.! Andersen is as good or better than the majority in the league..he is solid and was not in the least one of our problems last year..with a solid backup he will be fine and well rested for the playoffs..and we don't need to put up historic goals to  be able to succeed either..

I agree that Anderson is a good enough goalie.....actually beyond just good.

I think if we could be less reliant on him, that would go a long way for us......a combination of using the backup to give Freddy some load management relief as well as the team giving up less shots would be nice.
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-13, 12:30 PM)CuttingEdge Wrote:

I think if we could be less reliant on him, that would go a long way for us......a combination of using the backup to give Freddy some load management relief as well as the team giving up less shots would be nice.
After this season I would not be worrying about goaltending. Joseph Woll will be available. give him the season with the Marlies and watch out!
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-13, 12:51 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote:
(2019-07-13, 12:30 PM)CuttingEdge Wrote:

After this season I would not be worrying about goaltending. Joseph Woll will be available. give him the season with the Marlies and watch out!

Ah we have to see what we have there Caper. We have Ian Scott too.

Goaltending is such a wild card; it’s hard to predict if a kid will pan out.
Thanks given by:

I know I know, it's a highlight reel...but he looks like a Zach Hyman with skill. 

Worth a watch.
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-14, 06:48 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote:

I know I know, it's a highlight reel...but he looks like a Zach Hyman with skill. 

Worth a watch.

The dude has some skill no doubt. I wonder how it will translate to the smaller ice surface in a more physical game? LW with either Tavares or Matthews to start the season?
Thanks given by:
In reading up on him, Babcock was the primary recruiter, and the main reason he signed here instead of one of the 25+ other NHL teams who showed interest.

I gotta think based on that, especially with Hyman out for an extended period of time, that Mikheyev gets an extended audition at least, in a top six role. Most of my mock lineups had him competing with Agostino and Petan for a 4th line job, but I am probably underestimating the role that Babcock and company envision him playing.

I have my doubts about him being able to step in right away, but a Hyman with hands is an absolutely ideal winger to put on the other side of the Tavares/Marner or Matthews/Nylander duos.
Thanks given by:
It is never a surprise to me that these "Babcock Recruited Players" can slot right into a top six role with zero NHL experience, yet a guy like Trevor Moore with NHL experience, (although limited), who is the same age, (24), will be playing on the 4th line because he is a rookie and has not "earned" it yet.

Whatever, if it works, great! After watching him play Marleau and Brown in top six roles that were completely ineffective I guess I will just have to accept the fact that I do not agree with his deployment tactics.

Like I said... if it works... dig it!
Thanks given by: CuttingEdge