Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auston
I don’t think he and his agent have grounds to demand him being the King of all contracts.

He is amazing but he would still need to prove he can lead us to big wins over our rivals. There is still time for him to demonstrate that in the next 40 and the playoffs, but as of this moment my first sentence in this thread is what it is.
Thanks given by:
I dont think we can lay it all at his feet.

Win as a team, Lose as a team. I just dont know where they go next.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 09:57 PM)Sportking Wrote: I dont think we can lay it all at his feet.

I am not laying anything at his feet. 

He is a great player.

I am saying as of this moment, there is no justice in him being the highest paid player in hockey come this off season.

“In order to be the man, you gotta beat the man” ——-Ric Flair.
Thanks given by: tmleafer , colonel mustard
I don't watch Edmonton games but I'm sure when McDavid is on the ice, you know it, the other team's entire strategy revolves around him but he still rises above his opposition, Crosby the same.

Matthews isn't at that level and McD and Crosby had that knack from the minute they arrived in the league.

Matthews is awesome, even at Crosby/McD level when he's on but when he's on his impact is mostly offensive. It's hard to believe but some games I barely notice this 6'3" all world talent.

We can only hope that TO have some Pastrnak like players, not looking that way tho. Is McD underpaid, possibly, he's probably the only reason that their rink ever fills up.

TO has 3 of the 6 most marketable players in Canada, an owner's dream. Marner, JT and Matthews are untouchable and pretty well deserving of anything they want.
Thanks given by:
I cannot believe this team is struggling. We have become the Oilers of the east. We are only 5 points ahead of the hapless Habs! And all they have is Price.

I think the Nylander thing (which is still ongoing) is a big part of the problem. Sitting on that bench in a tight game and watching that asshat go out there doing nothing and knowing he's making money he doesn't deserve and getting ice time he hasn't earned. Guys like Brown, Hyman, Kadri, Johnsson (and more) have to be pissed! Who can blame them?

Here we go again. Hoping for a miracle...  Angry
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by:
Agreed. McDavid a year younger than Matthews is now won the Art Ross and Hart.

Matthews doesn't get more $$ for doing less at an older age. That's not a slight or an insult either, it's just a fact that just like everyone else in the league, he is not on McDavids level.

Expand that to Rantanen, Point, Eichel, Kucherov, etc. Look at the contracts they have (or will get), and what's the justification for Matthews at ~13.5-14M, when these guys have or are expected to get ~9.5-10.5M.
Thanks given by: CuttingEdge
He needs to be better. He needs to lead. He looks scared to get hurt atm.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 07:59 AM)tmleafer Wrote: Agreed. McDavid a year younger than Matthews is now won the Art Ross and Hart.

Matthews doesn't get more $$ for doing less at an older age. That's not a slight or an insult either, it's just a fact that just like everyone else in the league, he is not on McDavids level.

Expand that to Rantanen, Point, Eichel, Kucherov, etc. Look at the contracts they have (or will get), and what's the justification for Matthews at ~13.5-14M, when these guys have or are expected to get ~9.5-10.5M.

Yes agreed. And thanks for mentioning other players who are all of a high caliber. It is not just a 2 horse race to identify the players who merit fair contracts.

We can’t have a situation where we have teams who are better than us, but their quality player are making less.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 08:56 AM)Chip Wrote: He needs to be better. He needs to lead. He looks scared to get hurt atm.

That’s a fair point but not necessarily what I am getting at.

We can evaluate his play recently as a separate issue, but overall even at his best we have got carried away about where he is against other players. The case being made by media types and others is too Toronto centric. Having a good team in Toronto has been great for the league, but the kudos for the talent has gone overboard.
Thanks given by:
Matthews was awesome in Oct, then he got hurt and was very good for 4 or 5 games after he came back but he looks like he is just going through the motions lately.

Very disappointing.

Silver lining, he is not increasing his contract demand chances.
Thanks given by:
When Matthews signs and let's say he signs for the same amount as McD, the Cap will have increased about 10 mil. or there abouts since McD signed so he won't be making McD $s as related by a percentage of the Cap.
Thanks given by:
I wonder if they could get Marner and Matthews in a room, get them both to sign for 11 million a year with front loaded contracts to add value. Tell them listen guys, You 2 with Tavares are the core. You are all fairly equal and want to build around you all. It's a team, we are family. Let's get this done...try to set greed aside and let's win a cup

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 09:57 PM)Sportking Wrote: I dont think we can lay it all at his feet.

At the same time I expect Matthews to be far more dynamic even when TO loses, even when he doesn't score. If he's to be considered franchise/elite level we will need much more from him on a game by game basis especially if he's going to be paid anywhere in the JT to McD level. I think it's great that players on TO can be considered in the McD stratosphere and be worthy of being paid that well so long as it's true.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 01:15 PM)eh_prdcanadian Wrote: I wonder if they could get Marner and Matthews in a room, get them both to sign for 11 million a year with front loaded contracts to add value. Tell them listen guys, You 2 with Tavares are the core. You are all fairly equal and want to build around you all. It's a team, we are family. Let's get this done...try to set greed aside and let's win a cup

That would be amazing.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 01:15 PM)eh_prdcanadian Wrote: I wonder if they could get Marner and Matthews in a room, get them both to sign for 11 million a year with front loaded contracts to add value. Tell them listen guys, You 2 with Tavares are the core. You are all fairly equal and want to build around you all. It's a team, we are family. Let's get this done...try to set greed aside and let's win a cup

The above post seems so logical as of today.

I can’t reconcile giving AM34 McDavid type money and as of today I can’t substantiate paying him more than John and Mitch. They really are the 3 key guys up front for us and it’s hard to separate one as being more important than the other 2. And it goes without saying this is essential to having team success.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 03:54 PM)hobster Wrote:

At the same time I expect Matthews to be far more dynamic even when TO loses, even when he doesn't score. If he's to be considered franchise/elite level we will need much more from him on a game by game basis especially if he's going to be paid anywhere in the JT to McD level. I think it's great that players on TO can be considered in the McD stratosphere and be worthy of being paid that well so long as it's true.

People may say I'm overreacting, but I'm starting to question whether Austin is the franchise player he was touted to become. When I envision a franchise player, I think of guys like Crosby, Ovie, Gretzky, Sundin, and definitely McDavid. These are guys who were/are a force  every time they step on the ice. They lead by example and often carry a team on their backs.
Thank god we acquired Tavares this year because he is heads above Matthews. Same goes for Mitch. These are the 11 - 12 million dollar players.  As it stands right now, I wouldn't even consider Austin to be worth 9 or 10. Something is wrong and has been for a while. And his injury history in concerning as well considering how easily he was injured.  McDavid money ?  Nope.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-19, 11:32 AM)durhamleafer Wrote:
(2019-01-13, 03:54 PM)hobster Wrote:

People may say I'm overreacting, but I'm starting to question whether Austin is the franchise player he was touted to become. When I envision a franchise player, I think of guys like Crosby, Ovie, Gretzky, Sundin, and definitely McDavid. These are guys who were/are a force  every time they step on the ice. They lead by example and often carry a team on their backs.
Thank god we acquired Tavares this year because he is heads above Matthews. Same goes for Mitch. These are the 11 - 12 million dollar players.  As it stands right now, I wouldn't even consider Austin to be worth 9 or 10. Something is wrong and has been for a while. And his injury history in concerning as well considering how easily he was injured.  McDavid money ?  Nope.

Be careful. It is only in recent years that Ovie has been considered a leader who leads.

I think we know what Auston can do. I don’t doubt that. Something is wrong between him and Babs IMO and it’s affecting the team.
Thanks given by:
I'm slowly thinking no way AM should make more than Tavares, at least on this upcoming contract until he proves more. I feel the Leafs should stand pat and not offer either of Marner or Matthews more that JT. If someone offer sheets one take the picks.
I'd even entertain trading AM if I felt he will be offer sheeted, get a jump on it. We could get a nice haul.

My fantasy AM trade

To LA: Matthews and Brown
To Toronto: Doughty, Toffoli, 1st unprotected 2019

Thanks given by:
(2019-01-19, 02:06 PM)eh_prdcanadian Wrote: I'm slowly thinking no way AM should make more than Tavares, at least on this upcoming contract until he proves more. I feel the Leafs should stand pat and not offer either of Marner or Matthews more that JT. If someone offer sheets one take the picks.
I'd even entertain trading AM if I felt he will be offer sheeted, get a jump on it. We could get a nice haul.

My fantasy AM trade

To LA: Matthews and Brown
To Toronto: Doughty, Toffoli, 1st unprotected 2019

We need to remember that AM is only in his second year. No, he is not playing like he has in the past and the question is why? Looking at it from the larger perspective my thoughts turn to the fact Babs had to fly to Arizona to meet with him last summer to either patch things up or discuss how their future interactions will go. So with that, if pressed to speculate, I’d side with those here who feel there are difficulties between them.
GREAT TRADE - LAMORIELLO FOR TAVARES 
Thanks given by:
3. Auston Matthews will not put the same restriction on RFA negotiations that Mitch Marner has.

Marner’s agent, Darren Ferris, recently told The Athletic‘s Pierre LeBrun that the winger remains “100 per cent” committed to holding off extension talks until after the season.

This tidbit surfaced as ol’ pass-first Marner embarked on a run of 13 goals in 14 games.

Matthews’ representation, however, is open for business 24/7. Agent Judd Moldaver — holder of leverage — reinforces that his client loves being a Maple Leaf and would be thrilled to re-sign.

The sense here is that Marner and Ferris are taking the Leon Draisaitl approach, preferring to wait for the franchise centre to drive up the financial bar.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/quic...r-kapanen/
Thanks given by: