Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australian Open
It's fun to watch Zverev's development. He's definitely the next one. 

As for Raonic, i've been sayin this for years, he's a one trick phony. When his service game is not working, ANYONE can beat him.

Thanks given by:
Apparently Zverev has never beaten a player ranked inside the top 50 at a Grand Slam. That's pretty crazy. His best result at a GS is the 4th round at Wimbledon last year, but has otherwise never been beyond the top 3R. Obviously, he's still young but we are starting to see other young players like Shapovalov, Rublev, and now Chung making runs and beating top players at Grand Slams. But the thing is that Zverev is supposed to be by far the best of the bunch, and he hasn't beaten the kind of players those guys have at Grand Slams.

Obviously he's still so young and will figure things out soon, but still a surprising stat.
Thanks given by:
Cilic and Edmund in the top semi. I really like what Edmund has done this tournament but Cilic is such a steady performer, and I have a hard time seeing him losing.

It's hard to imagine Federer not winning this title. I think his toughest opponent could be Chung, who he would face if he can beat Berdych (and if Chung beats Sandgren).
Thanks given by:
Come on Fed....one more time....for the 20th time.
Thanks given by:
Hard to see Federer not winning, though if there's anything to be said against him it's that he hasn't really faced much competition this tournament. I think Cilic might take a set off him, but Federer should win.
Thanks given by:
Roger Federer is my all time favorite athlete and it's not even close(sorry MJ). What this guy is doing at his age is unprecedented. Tennis players usually slows down at the age of 30, look at Nadal and now Djokovic. Pete Sampras i think retired at the age of 30-31. Federer is 36 and is still playing at a very high level. Unbelievable.

Thanks given by: bluejayyay
Is Federer still elite because of how great he is? Or is his current success more due to the lack of competition (ie. weak era)? Obviously he's the greatest of all time, that's without question. I'm curious what you think of his current success though.
Thanks given by: bluejayyay
(2018-01-26, 01:54 PM)encore Wrote: Is Federer still elite because of how great he is? Or is his current success more due to the lack of competition (ie. weak era)? Obviously he's the greatest of all time, that's without question. I'm curious what you think of his current success though.

I think Federer is still elite because of how great he is. The competition is still there. Nadal, Djokovic, Cilic, Del Potro, Murray, Wawrinka. These are all really good players. Nadal obviously is not the same player that he once was but he's still pretty good. He won 2 Grand Slams last year and he is currently ranked as the #1 player in the world. Djokovic has slowed down dramatically but he's 30 now. Remember what i said a couple of years ago when he was dominating the sport? he's going to slow down in a couple of years.

Thanks given by:
(2018-01-26, 01:38 PM)Canuxxx Wrote: Roger Federer is my all time favorite athlete and it's not even close(sorry MJ). What this guy is doing at his age is unprecedented. Tennis players usually slows down at the age of 30, look at Nadal and now Djokovic. Pete Sampras i think retired at the age of 30-31. Federer is 36 and is still playing at a very high level. Unbelievable.

Likewise. Favourite athlete ever and there's no close second.

It's funny that you mention his longevity compared to Sampras'. I post on a tennis forum and some Sampras fanboys used to really love mentioning how Pete beat Fed in 1 of the 3 exhibitions they played when Pete was 36 (never mind that their h2h on tour is 1-0 Federer, with RF winning that classic encounter at Winby).

Well, Federer is now 36 and on the cusp of winning a 20th major and regaining the number one ranking (if he wins the final and also wins Dubai and/or Nadal doesn't defend his points at Acapulco, he's got it).

Needless to say, nobody really talks about that exho anymore.
Thanks given by:
(2018-01-26, 01:54 PM)encore Wrote: Is Federer still elite because of how great he is? Or is his current success more due to the lack of competition (ie. weak era)? Obviously he's the greatest of all time, that's without question. I'm curious what you think of his current success though.

Well, I think he'd still be a top 3-4 player even if all of the guys currently ravaged by injury were healthy. Wawrinka, Raonic and Nishikori simply aren't as good as this (or just about any) iteration of Federer, healthy or not. That just leaves Murray, Djokovic and Nadal. Nadal was as healthy as he'd been in years in 2017 and Fed was still the better player, No. 2 ranking be damned. Murray isn't the big-match player that Federer is, but I imagine a healthy Murray would be a threat. 2015/16 Djokovic was better than this Federer, but he was also better than just about any player that ever lived.

There's no doubt that Fed has greatly benefited from the pretty awful competition but it's clear he'd still be a top guy regardless. Also, he has had to navigate through some tough draws which only show his class. Take the 2017 AO for instance, where he beat 4 Top 10 players (Berdych, Nishikori, Wawrinka, Nadal) as well as the dangerous net rusher Zverev, who beat Murray the previous round. Nobody has ever beaten more than 4 Top 10 guys in a single GS tourny. And they were all healthy at the time! At IW he beat Nadal and Wawrinka, at Miami he beat Delpo, Agut, Berdych, Kyrgios and Nadal. On the year, he boasted a 14-2 record against top 10 players. Definitely still an elite player.
Thanks given by:
It's really too bad the last 12 months has seen the sport hit with so many crucial injuries.

Obviously at the top with Murray and Djokovic, and who's to say if those guys will ever return to even close to their strongest. But even the secondary guys like Raonic, Wawrinka, Nishikori, etc. Those guys aren't at Federer's level, but they still add some intrigue.
Thanks given by:
Wozniacki wins her first Grand Slam, defeating Halep in the final. Happy for Wozniacki, as she finally gets that monkey off her back, but you gotta feel for Halep, who is still without a Slam title.

Hopefully Federer can defeat Cilic tonight.
Thanks given by: thebest41587 , thebest41587
No words.
Thanks given by:
Yup - is there any way not to give Federer the utmost respect? What a champion!
Thanks given by:
The best comes through again! 20 Grand Slams!

Thought for a moment he was gonna announce his retirement during his speech!
Thanks given by:
20 Grand Slams. Wow. What else is there to say?

Thanks given by:
Saw Federer vs Cilic AusOpen18 final this year... definately one to remember. True prestigious and humble athlete to all opponents and the game itself.

[Image: IMG_20180129_002711_362.jpg]
Thanks given by: